Insurance for Samsung S7 Edge

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Based on what I can find online, it seems their primary focus is to pay for a local repair shop. I think Samsung and Asurion more typically just send you a refurb. That could be good or bad, depending on how good the repair shop is. If your phone needs to be replaced, the coverage is for a one-time replacement only:

IF MY PHONE GETS REPLACED, DOES MY WARRANTY COME TO AN END?
Yes, having your phone replaced ends the warranty on your device. To cover your replaced phone you would need to purchase another warranty.

At $75 (fee + deductible), that may still be a good option, unless you have a history of frequently destroying phones. My biggest concern is that they've only been in business for about 17 months, and I can't find a single review or comment online from anyone who's actually filed a claim.

ronin_cse

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Yikes! The last time I used the Asurion insurance I ended paying a $99 deductible and I thought it was too much then, at $199 that's just crazy! Thinking I'll have to go with the Samsung plan now.

szpaczek

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
"For me protectyourbubble (PYB) is still better. Becuase I have a few devices insured by PYB already I would pay $4/month to insure the S7E. Over a year thats $48. Lets say I break/replace my S7E within that first year, Im out $150 +$48. Annual cost = $198
Using Samsung Protection Plus is a one time fee of $129. If you break/replace your device within the first year your deductible is $79. Annual cost = $208.
If you plan on keeping your device for more than a year, it makes sense to go with Samsung Protection Plus. If you only expect to keep your device for a year or less, I would go with PYB. Thats just my opinion."

$129 / 2 years ( You can cancel anytime ) = $64.5 plus $79 = $143.5 versus $ 198

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I went with Square Trade. $69 for a year with a $99 deductible. It doesn't cover loss or theft, basically just got it in case I drop my phone. If I get the Note 6 when it comes out I will just cancel the plan and get a refund for the un-used portion.

I usually get the 2 year plan, but I rarely keep a phone that long. My last 2 phones I got the 2 year and got refunds when I sold them from Square trade.

Capture.JPG

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody used Upsie for insurance? $50 one time cost with a $25 deductible. From what I found on Reddit, they do seem legit.

I just ran across this thread and wondering if anyone went with Upsie. I think I might try this. I have never broken a cell phone so for $50 this might be worth a try.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I still can't find a single review online, anywhere, that shows someone's experience after filing a claim. Not. One. Single. Claim. That worries me. The Android app has only been downloaded 104 times. I worry about this company's financial stability if they actually have to pay out claims. Cheap insurance isn't cheap if it isn't around when you actually need it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That makes no sense. The carrier plans cover everything that Square Trade and Upsie do, in addition to theft and loss. Paying for two overlapping insurance coverages is just throwing money away.

And since I've never lost a phone, or had one stolen, I'm not about to pay the price and deductible Assurian and its ilk charge. With a $200 deductible and $13 a month, you could buy a refurb phone after a year anyway. A car costs a lot more to replace than a phone does, which is why that coverage makes sense on a car.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I think that really depends on the person. For someone that tends to lose things, it might be a good idea. But for someone that never loses anything, you will be spending close to half of what the phone is worth over the life of it if you get the insurance through the carrier. Then if you submit a claim, you are probably getting a refurbished phone. So for the $300-$400 you spent on premiums and deductible over the life of the phone to get a used phone, you may as well just buy a used phone to start with. For most people, I think it is much more likely to drop and break the phone rather than losing it or having it stolen.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I went with Square Trade. $69 for a year with a $99 deductible. It doesn't cover loss or theft, basically just got it in case I drop my phone. If I get the Note 6 when it comes out I will just cancel the plan and get a refund for the un-used portion.

I usually get the 2 year plan, but I rarely keep a phone that long. My last 2 phones I got the 2 year and got refunds when I sold them from Square trade.

View attachment 222039

this is what I did. I had a good experience with them and so I've added everything. My S7 Edge, my S2 Classic, my wife's Apple Watch

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I am using the Sprint protection plus on my phone it's $13.00 month.

Unless you feel theft and loss insurance is critical, you're spending way too much money. Suppose you break your screen after a year. You've spent $13*12 months = $156, plus $199 deductible. So you're getting a refurb phone for $355!

Samsung's plan is $129 for two years (less than one year of Sprint's), and $79 deductible. So if you break your phone after a year you're out of pocket only $218, and you still have another year of coverage at no extra cost. It doesn't cover theft and loss, however.

Samsung Protection Plus

Square Trade plans are priced similarly to Samsung's, and also don't cover loss or theft. I've never lost a phone or had one stolen.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I still can't find a single review online, anywhere, that shows someone's experience after filing a claim. Not. One. Single. Claim. That worries me. The Android app has only been downloaded 104 times. I worry about this company's financial stability if they actually have to pay out claims. Cheap insurance isn't cheap if it isn't around when you actually need it.

You are right, I could not find a review either about a claim. I also could not find any bad reviews. I went ahead and purchased one of these. I will take chance with it and hopefully I never need to use it but if I do, I will post the results on here.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I would have gone samsung plan but I bought two S7s on BOGO so the 2nd phone is my insurance. If I break my first phone very early I'll buy samsung insurance on the 2nd (have a year to buy it).

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was just looking into Squaretrade and man, I'm seeing a lot of really bad reviews with them. Not willing to take that risk. I have had Assurian in the past and while they are expensive, they are easy to work with and got me a new phone super quickly. I'll keep searching. Does anyone have any positive claim experience with Squaretrade?

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have two grandsons, one with HTC the other with S6. Both have damaged their phones and have gotten very fast response from Squaretrade. That's the only real experience I can cite. Hopefully, never any of my own!

Christopher Meinck

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
After reading a few horror stories here at AC, I decided to purchase insurance. It seems like Samsung Protection + is a great deal, provided you keep your phone for 24 months and/or you are tough on phones. I'm already looking at the Galaxy S8 Edge, so just need "worst case scenario" insurance for the next 12 months. With the declining deductible, a replacement would cost me $149 if I make it past the 6 month mark.

I like the lower out of pocket for Asurion vs the $129 for SS+.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in getting insurance for my phone since screen protectors don't seem to work well for this phone. Let's say I get some scratches on my device over the next 4-6 months and want to exchange, will this be easily doable with Samsung Protection Plus? Or will another plan be a better option? I know this may not sound like the best financial decision but I like having a flawless screen and to me insurance + deductible is worth it.