07-13-2016 12:13 PM
49 12
tools
    Has anybody used Upsie for insurance? $50 one time cost with a $25 deductible. From what I found on Reddit, they do seem legit.
    I just ran across this thread and wondering if anyone went with Upsie. I think I might try this. I have never broken a cell phone so for $50 this might be worth a try.
    04-05-2016 02:04 PM
    I still can't find a single review online, anywhere, that shows someone's experience after filing a claim. Not. One. Single. Claim. That worries me. The Android app has only been downloaded 104 times. I worry about this company's financial stability if they actually have to pay out claims. Cheap insurance isn't cheap if it isn't around when you actually need it.
    04-05-2016 03:43 PM
    That makes no sense. The carrier plans cover everything that Square Trade and Upsie do, in addition to theft and loss. Paying for two overlapping insurance coverages is just throwing money away.

And since I've never lost a phone, or had one stolen, I'm not about to pay the price and deductible Assurian and its ilk charge. With a $200 deductible and $13 a month, you could buy a refurb phone after a year anyway. A car costs a lot more to replace than a phone does, which is why that coverage makes sense on a car.
    04-05-2016 06:25 PM
    I think that really depends on the person. For someone that tends to lose things, it might be a good idea. But for someone that never loses anything, you will be spending close to half of what the phone is worth over the life of it if you get the insurance through the carrier. Then if you submit a claim, you are probably getting a refurbished phone. So for the $300-$400 you spent on premiums and deductible over the life of the phone to get a used phone, you may as well just buy a used phone to start with. For most people, I think it is much more likely to drop and break the phone rather than losing it or having it stolen.
    04-05-2016 06:32 PM
    FYI, ProtectYourBubble is apparently no longer offering cell phone policies in the US.
    04-06-2016 12:10 PM
    I went with Square Trade. $69 for a year with a $99 deductible. It doesn't cover loss or theft, basically just got it in case I drop my phone. If I get the Note 6 when it comes out I will just cancel the plan and get a refund for the un-used portion.

I usually get the 2 year plan, but I rarely keep a phone that long. My last 2 phones I got the 2 year and got refunds when I sold them from Square trade.

Attachment 222039
    this is what I did. I had a good experience with them and so I've added everything. My S7 Edge, my S2 Classic, my wife's Apple Watch
    04-06-2016 12:37 PM
    I am using the Sprint protection plus on my phone it's $13.00 month.
    04-06-2016 12:44 PM
    I am using the Sprint protection plus on my phone it's $13.00 month.
    Unless you feel theft and loss insurance is critical, you're spending way too much money. Suppose you break your screen after a year. You've spent $13*12 months = $156, plus $199 deductible. So you're getting a refurb phone for $355!

Samsung's plan is $129 for two years (less than one year of Sprint's), and $79 deductible. So if you break your phone after a year you're out of pocket only $218, and you still have another year of coverage at no extra cost. It doesn't cover theft and loss, however.

Samsung Protection Plus

Square Trade plans are priced similarly to Samsung's, and also don't cover loss or theft. I've never lost a phone or had one stolen.
    04-06-2016 03:53 PM
    I still can't find a single review online, anywhere, that shows someone's experience after filing a claim. Not. One. Single. Claim. That worries me. The Android app has only been downloaded 104 times. I worry about this company's financial stability if they actually have to pay out claims. Cheap insurance isn't cheap if it isn't around when you actually need it.
    You are right, I could not find a review either about a claim. I also could not find any bad reviews. I went ahead and purchased one of these. I will take chance with it and hopefully I never need to use it but if I do, I will post the results on here.
    04-07-2016 01:20 AM
    I liked the Squaretrade numbers. $139 for 3 years with a $99 deductible per claim. No loss or stolen coverage.
    04-07-2016 04:09 PM
    I would have gone samsung plan but I bought two S7s on BOGO so the 2nd phone is my insurance. If I break my first phone very early I'll buy samsung insurance on the 2nd (have a year to buy it).
    04-07-2016 05:10 PM
    I was just looking into Squaretrade and man, I'm seeing a lot of really bad reviews with them. Not willing to take that risk. I have had Assurian in the past and while they are expensive, they are easy to work with and got me a new phone super quickly. I'll keep searching. Does anyone have any positive claim experience with Squaretrade?
    04-07-2016 05:56 PM
    I have two grandsons, one with HTC the other with S6. Both have damaged their phones and have gotten very fast response from Squaretrade. That's the only real experience I can cite. Hopefully, never any of my own!
    04-07-2016 10:03 PM
    After reading a few horror stories here at AC, I decided to purchase insurance. It seems like Samsung Protection + is a great deal, provided you keep your phone for 24 months and/or you are tough on phones. I'm already looking at the Galaxy S8 Edge, so just need "worst case scenario" insurance for the next 12 months. With the declining deductible, a replacement would cost me $149 if I make it past the 6 month mark.

I like the lower out of pocket for Asurion vs the $129 for SS+.
    04-21-2016 09:46 AM
    I'm interested in getting insurance for my phone since screen protectors don't seem to work well for this phone. Let's say I get some scratches on my device over the next 4-6 months and want to exchange, will this be easily doable with Samsung Protection Plus? Or will another plan be a better option? I know this may not sound like the best financial decision but I like having a flawless screen and to me insurance + deductible is worth it.
    04-21-2016 10:38 AM
    I got Att insurance for 7.99 a month

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-21-2016 12:32 PM
    I'm going through Verizon's insurance program. It's the best way to go, for me. If my phone craps out, I'll have a newish one in 24 hours.
    IF they have it in stock... We just had to wait over a week to get my wife's S7 replaced bc they were on backorder. Luckily we didn't trade in our previous phones (S5) so we just reactivated her old phone in the mean time. Her replacement is set to arrive today.
    04-21-2016 02:31 PM

This is why I have insurance... (my wife's S7) Went straight through the Zagg glass...
    04-21-2016 05:41 PM
    I've used SquareTrade for years. Trouble free claims and the cheapest protection I can find.
    ClintRo likes this.
    04-21-2016 05:53 PM
    Mod Note, Cleaned up some posts. please do not discuss ways of committing insurance fraud,as it is illegal and shall not be discussed here.
    04-21-2016 10:10 PM
    Typically I'd get by with tempered glass and a heavy duty case. As noted in the forums, the tempered glass options for the Galaxy S7 Edge aren't great. Despite having a UAG case, it's far from protected, should it hit the concrete. With summer coming (and shorts), it's easy enough for phones to slip out and take a plunge. Taking this into consideration and the stories being told here in the AC forums (phone dropped less than 3 feet on carpet and it's cracked), I decided for the first time to get insurance. If I was sure I was keeping my S7 Edge for 2 years, I would have opted for Samsung's Protection +. Knowing me and my propensity for switching phones, I opted for AT&T's $7.99 plan. The deductible is $199, but that declines after 6 months. $149 and continues to drop over time.

I hope I never drop my phone, but I figure $200 isn't $750 and with the waterproofing, I wouldn't want anyone but Samsung fixing this thing (or scrapping for parts).
    04-22-2016 02:36 PM
    Whether a one-time fee program like Samsung's, or a monthly fee program like Assurian or Square Trade is better really depends on your usage patterns. Are you going to keep the phone for a couple of years? Do you have a history (or a fear) of breaking a phone, or are you more worried about losing it? And don't forget to factor in the deductible, and how many times you think you might use it.

If you're going to keep a phone for 2 years, Samsung's ends up being a lot cheaper than Assurian, unless you lose your phone (or have it stolen). If you trade phones every 6 months, you probably shouldn't get insurance at all. If you trade in every year, you need to do the math, and make some assumptions about whether, and how many times, you'll actually file a claim.

Samsung's plan is $129 for that one year of coverage if you don't file a claim. Assurian's, depending on carrier, is going to be $96 to $156.

If you file one claim in that year, Samsung will cost you $210. Assurian as little as much as $355, or as little as $245. Samsung is cheaper if you file a claim because of the $79 vs. $149 (in the second 6 months) to $199 (in the first 6 months) deductible with assurian. If your history of breaking phones is really bad, and you think you'll use it twice, Samsung's plan looks even better. $290 vs. $396 minimum (assuming both replacements are in the 2nd 6 months. Of course, if you have your phone stolen, then the Assurian plan looks a lot better.

There's no single "best" plan, and the best plan for some may be "none." It all comes down to how long you're going to keep your phone, how often you think you'll file a claim, your risk tolerance, and how easily you can afford to replace a phone if it does break or get lost / stolen.

Figure the cheapest plan cost over two years is $218 if you file one claim. You'll probably get a refurb. How much will it cost you to just outfight buy a refurb S7 Edge after a year or so? $300? So you'd save $82 if you do file a claim, but lose $218 if you don't. If you can easily afford to lay out $300 for a replacement phone, and you don't have a history of breaking things, you might be better off just forgoing insurance altogether.
    04-22-2016 03:35 PM
    I bit the bullet and signed up for Samsung's Protection Plan earlier this week. Today, I was visiting a business with a gravel drive, took my Edge out of my pocket, and for the first time since I've owned it I dropped it. Face down. On gravel. Four little impact craters where it hit the gravel, and cracks all over the right-hand side of the screen. First time I've ever broken the screen on a phone. Everything still works, though. Touchscreen, display, edge display, calling. Thank goodness.

Very glad I signed up for the insurance before this happened. And glad that Samsung's deductible is only $79, and not $199! Filed a claim this evening (Sunday). Now to see how long it takes them to get a new phone to me.
    05-01-2016 06:35 PM
    I was considering the samsung $129 plan for the s7 edge (bought new off ebay).. but there is the $99 deductible.. unsure if its worth it just for screen break protection (actual repair cost? 250?)..

The other option i've had great (refunded when issues) success being squaretrade.. two of these at $79 each with no deductible, now i'm leaning towards good old ST i guess.
    07-13-2016 12:13 PM
49 12