Received my S7 Edge today (dunno how), unboxing and questions

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Fame :) .... video is good. Quick question ... do you slow the video down whilst recording, or do you slow it down once it has been recorded?
There is a slowmo mode that you select.

Then after the shooting, in the samsungs gallery app you can even select the parts you slow down and then export it

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Then after the shooting, in the samsungs gallery app you can even select the parts you slow down and then export it

So, you have had to select the slowmo mode first, before you record. Or record in standard and then slow it down afterwards?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi inffy... again! :D

Thanks for your generous help on this thread.

One question that I must ask as you have obviously been using your phone a LOT more than you normally would since receiving it... is your Global model phone overheating or running very hot at all on the octa core Exynos chipset as there have been a number of reports on this and other forums of the U.S. carrier minority variants on the quad core Qualcomm chipset getting hot quickly. on the store demo models.

Once again, thanks for your help.

I think it got hot because the store models are running 24/7 and some have their displays constantly turned on.

The S6 and Note 5 store units I tried last year were also pretty warm.

Quick question.

Is it hardware or software-based? Because I am somewhat puzzled at the software-based implementation of slow-mo on most Android devices, evident by the loss of quality.

So I'm hoping that it's hardware based, like the iPhone.

Also, yep. That video is on SamMobile.
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/02/29/galaxy-s7-slow-motion-video-recording-at-240fps-looks-real-nice/

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
How's your battery life looking today? Probably one of the main reasons I've gone for the edge is the huge battery in comparison to my htc one m8!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have subscribed to this thread. You are a gentlemen and a scholar. I look forward to learning about this phone!!!

Dan Franchini

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
If an app is already active, and you use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone, does the active app stay open, or does it go to the home screen?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
1) please run Geekbench 3 and post the scores (my inner geek needs to see how the Exynos does to satiate my burning curiosity)

2) camera samples in low light please

Cheers! :)

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
How's your battery life looking today? Probably one of the main reasons I've gone for the edge is the huge battery in comparison to my htc one m8!
07628c40ab74373370522a80e9784c66.jpg

2e3c26e4e56cb5bfa1882978de105d3d.jpg

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
1) please run Geekbench 3 and post the scores (my inner geek needs to see how the Exynos does to satiate my burning curiosity)

2) camera samples in low light please

Cheers! :)

Some benchmarks showed the Exynos 8890 scored up to 2100 in single-core and 6300 in multi-core in GB3. But average seems to be about 1800-1900 for single-core and about 5900 for multi-core. We need the OP to run GB on his own unit to make sure.

But it's an extremely peppy processor.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answer!
Sad for no double tap to wake but then again, that is easily solved with Nova.
Very glad to see the theme engine still reaches the notification tray at least :)

Before the S6/edge, I was used to the double tap and was a deal breaker sometimes until I realized that it took me more time to do the double tap and without security than simply use the Fingerprint and the extra security it brings.

With the Fingerprint you can do the equivalent (more or less) to the double tap, just press the home button and simply leaves your finger on it for a fraction of a second and you're in.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Before the S6/edge, I was used to the double tap and was a deal breaker sometimes until I realized that it took me more time to do the double tap and without security than simply use the Fingerprint and the extra security it brings.

With the Fingerprint you can do the equivalent (more or less) to the double tap, just press the home button and simply leaves your finger on it for a fraction of a second and you're in.

Maybe a daft question (but they never say daft, unless you know the answer), but can you setup multiple fingers to unlock it with?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

It's hard for some to see the difference, but I see some fairly significant differences that indicate that the S7 has improved low-light photography.

- There is less noise in the S7, mainly because the camera software opted for a lower ISO due to the increased exposure allowed by the larger pixels and f/1.7 aperture in conjunction with OIS.
- There is also more detail in the S7, once again, thanks to the larger pixels and also opting for a lower shutter speed in the S7
- Exposure also seems to be better controlled in the S7 compared to the S6

Overall, pretty impressed. It's hard to see the difference with those pictures, but I'm sure that in situations without much light, the S7 can hold its own. The S6 was no slouch, but the S7 definitely upped its low-light game without compromising overall camera quality.

Last edited: