Received my S7 Edge today (dunno how), unboxing and questions

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure what to say. I am not very impressed at the moment. My few Finnish friends get over 6h SOT times.

Mostly I think it might have to do with the bad reception signal at home.

The strange thing is that I can't see anything that would be keeping the phone awake from those shots

Google music is very high usage. I'm guessing you stream music with the screen off. This would reduce your available screen on time.

Posted via my LG G4

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Here is a guy who has been reviewing the S7 Edge battery life for a while. Its in Italian but you can see his results pretty clearly via the screenshots. One test had over 16hrs on battery, 5hrs of SoT, 2+hrs of talk time and had about 11% left if I recall. That'll do for me and then some!

Samsung Galaxy S7edge | concluso | Andrea Galeazzi

That's what I get on my S6, it should be much better than that.

dreaming of electric sheep

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Changing themes brings subtle changes to icons, keyboard ect. It's really fantastic.

Posted via the Android Central App
To me, some themes aren't that subtle. They're really noticeable, and I love the theme engine for that since it changes a whole heap like the notification tray, quick toggles, pop-up messages and even the power menu. It's amazing and reminds me a whole lot of CyanogenMod's theme engine in CM12 and newer.

I'm not big on TouchWiz's stock look, but man, those themes are amazing. My personal favorite is the dark Material one. Perfect for AMOLED and my eyes.

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
To me, some themes aren't that subtle. They're really noticeable, and I love the theme engine for that since it changes a whole heap like the notification tray, quick toggles, pop-up messages and even the power menu. It's amazing and reminds me a whole lot of CyanogenMod's theme engine in CM12 and newer.

I'm not big on TouchWiz's stock look, but man, those themes are amazing. My personal favorite is the dark Material one. Perfect for AMOLED and my eyes.
What theme is that?

Ah already running that :)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That's what I get on my S6, it should be much better than that.

dreaming of electric sheep
With your usage patterns, you will get much better than that.

This will come down to basic hardware. The SoC and battery capacity will provide longer SoT than your current phone.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to checking out these themes. My HTC had a themes folder and you downloaded it and it changed your wall paper certain main icons and your sound and font. Never had Sammy before can't wait to check it out.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I see only a couple of battery life screenshots. Is it holding consistently since it is now a few days out? Improving/worsening? Now that iit is broken in, how does it compare to the s6?

I'm trying to decide between the S7 and S7 Edge - anybody on here know how the bigger batter/bigger screen vs smaller battery/smaller screen turns out by direct comparison?

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would say the choice between the S7 and the S7 Edge, is purely down to which one you prefer the look and the style of. For me, the S7 Edge just brings something I have not had on another phone

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
innfy - just wondered, have you tried the camera in 4:3 and 16:9 mode, and noticed much difference? I tend to want to take shots in 16:9, and on my current LG G3, have had to reduce the pixel count down to get the 16:9, similar to what needs to happen on the S7

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This is typical for most smartphones. The sensor is 4:3 in actual shape. When you choose to take a picture in 16:9 mode, you are actually letterboxing or cropping the top and bottom of the picture off, so in fact you are using less pixels to take the picture. Take the same picture in both 4:3 and 16:9 without really moving. You'll notice that in 16:9, you actually have a reduced field of view in your picture. Essentially it's the same as taking the 4:3 photo, cropping to 16:9 and zooming to fit your screen. I always take photos in 4:3. Looks better on most 4:3 tablets and is a hell of a lot better for printing. If I want it to be 16:9, I can crop it myself.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
This is typical for most smartphones. The sensor is 4:3 in actual shape. When you choose to take a picture in 16:9 mode, you are actually letterboxing or cropping the top and bottom of the picture off, so in fact you are using less pixels to take the picture. Take the same picture in both 4:3 and 16:9 without really moving. You'll notice that in 16:9, you actually have a reduced field of view in your picture. Essentially it's the same as taking the 4:3 photo, cropping to 16:9 and zooming to fit your screen. I always take photos in 4:3. Looks better on most 4:3 tablets and is a hell of a lot better for printing. If I want it to be 16:9, I can crop it myself.

Cool, thanks for that. Thought it might have done something different. Suppose just nice seeing full screen on a 16:9 display