Snapdragon vs Exynos; benchmark comparisons

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
From an end user standpoint can anyone explain the difference between single core and multi-core in real world terms? Please give examples of what these results may mean in the actual day to day use of a phone.

Thanks

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
From an end user standpoint can anyone explain the difference between single core and multi-core in real world terms? Please give examples of what these results may mean in the actual day to day use of a phone.

Thanks
It completely depends on the application. Some are written for multi-threading, most are simple and are not. You will slowly begin to see more and more apps optimised for multi-core.

This just means they will be faster and you can have the phone manage more. Also, without multi-core SoC battery life would tank due to the fact that your most powerful core will always be doing the work of what a small, low power core could have done.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I've updated the OP to reflect the increasing number of benchmark results that are popping up. It is becoming clear that Snapdragon offers slightly better single-core performance whilst Exynos offers slightly superior multi-core performance.

I will also add Antutu scores soon as I see there are some results popping up on XDA forums. With that benchmark it looks like the Snapdragon is noticeably superior in 3D performance whilst the Exynos beats it in all other tests.

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I think that the snapdragon 820 will perform well if overheating and throttling isn't an issue. We all know this was an issue with 810.

Posted via the Android Central App

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I think that the snapdragon 820 will perform well if overheating and throttling isn't an issue. We all know this was an issue with 810.

In normal usage nobody will notice the difference.

Maybe later the year we have games that will perform better on the snapdragon version.

But in normal usage the exynos will be better with heavy apps and multitasking but the differences are really not noticed in normal usage

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

according to some early feedback here in the forum, it still is an issue - the 820 gets very hot in the S7 series and throttling may need to lag and choppy scrolling.

Dan Franchini

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
according to some early feedback here in the forum, it still is an issue - the 820 gets very hot in the S7 series and throttling may need to lag and choppy scrolling.
I've been reading everything I can on the S7 Edge, and the worst I've heard is that it got hot when it was doing initial setup. Where did you read that heat and throttling was an issue?

gadget0530

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I am going to weigh in a little bit on snapdragon 820 since i got my S7 edge with tmobile. Yes, initially setting it up, it got warm (not hot) and it stayed that way for about an hour and then things started settling down. Almost any phone, when you are setting up initially will have stutters and hiccups including mighty iphone and S7. So once eveything got transferred, S7 edge was the smoothest android phone to date and i would even say it was as smooth as iphone 6S plus and more. I come from Note 5, iphone 6s Plus, S6 edge +, S6 edge, iphone 6S, S6, Lg G4, G3, and all iphones in the past so i can compare equally. I dont like to BS one brand over the other, they all have pros and cons. My geekbench was 2378 single core and 5580 multicore. I dont care about benchmarks. I would say S7 runs buttery smooth for almost everything. I have seen very small stutters on certain webpage scrolling but i have also seen that on iphone 6s plus. Camera is a killer on this phone. I was expecting sound to be better or the same as V10 but its only better than note 5. I have 200GB microsd card placed in right now, you can modify adbshell and do the adaptable memory but i have not done it. The phone feels very solid in hand but a little slippery though curved back helps. I am rocking this beauty naked. If you have any questions, you can always ask me.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
^Thank you. Every year come Samsung flagship time it's like people can't wait to start widespread negativity/problems. It's been less than a week. Give people time to break in their phones.

GBP87

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I am going to weigh in a little bit on snapdragon 820 since i got my S7 edge with tmobile. Yes, initially setting it up, it got warm (not hot) and it stayed that way for about an hour and then things started settling down. Almost any phone, when you are setting up initially will have stutters and hiccups including mighty iphone and S7. So once eveything got transferred, S7 edge was the smoothest android phone to date and i would even say it was as smooth as iphone 6S plus and more. I come from Note 5, iphone 6s Plus, S6 edge +, S6 edge, iphone 6S, S6, Lg G4, G3, and all iphones in the past so i can compare equally. I dont like to BS one brand over the other, they all have pros and cons. My geekbench was 2378 single core and 5580 multicore. I dont care about benchmarks. I would say S7 runs buttery smooth for almost everything. I have seen very small stutters on certain webpage scrolling but i have also seen that on iphone 6s plus. Camera is a killer on this phone. I was expecting sound to be better or the same as V10 but its only better than note 5. I have 200GB microsd card placed in right now, you can modify adbshell and do the adaptable memory but i have not done it. The phone feels very solid in hand but a little slippery though curved back helps. I am rocking this beauty naked. If you have any questions, you can always ask me.

Thanks! Can you share a bit more on the audio comparison between the Note 5? That's the phone I'll be coming from. Volume, clarity, etc.

Also, how's the size difference and handling compared to the Note 5?

Finally, how's the scrolling compared to Note 5?

Thanks so much!

gadget0530

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Can you share a bit more on the audio comparison between the Note 5? That's the phone I'll be coming from. Volume, clarity, etc.

Also, how's the size difference and handling compared to the Note 5?

Finally, how's the scrolling compared to Note 5?

Thanks so much!

Volume is almost the same as note 5 but clarity is better also bluetooth sound is better too. I actually like holding S7 edge a lot better than note 5. Its a bit smaller than note 5 and a lot curvier. Scrolling is def. much better than note 5. I felt good amount of stuttering on note 5 with browsing and S7's new browser blows it away. Scrolling in general is improved a lot in other apps too. You will like S7 edge.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Exynos has 8 cores, S820 has 4. Keep that in mind. MOST things you're going to do are going to favor IPC, so single core performance is still more important. Multi-core performance will matter when you are actively using an app that is both resource intensive and can spawn multiple threads.

I look forward to seeing some in depth comparison articles, like what Anandtech does.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Any battery life stats?? Would love to see both devices running the same video/app/movie the same amount of time and see the battery usage after 1-2hrs.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You're absolutely right! Phones usually experience the heaviest amounts of usage during the initial setup process, when apps are being downloaded and data is being restored from another phone. It's not uncommon for phones to be a little slow and warm during that. It's normal. Heck, my iPad Pro was the same when it was doing that, along with my LG G4.

Exynos has 8 cores, S820 has 4. Keep that in mind. MOST things you're going to do are going to favor IPC, so single core performance is still more important. Multi-core performance will matter when you are actively using an app that is both resource intensive and can spawn multiple threads.

I look forward to seeing some in depth comparison articles, like what Anandtech does.
Technically, the Exynos is a 4 + 4 and the 820 is a 2 + 2, but I get what you're saying.

Pretty sure that the 820 may get a pretty slight advantage in most apps, but the 8890 may pull ahead in multithreaded workloads.

But honestly, our phones have become so powerful to the point where any increase in processor performance isn't that noticeable compared to the jump from single-core processors in 2010 to quad-core processors in 2012. So the focus is on software optimization, efficiency and single-core performance.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Anandtech did a very good article on the subject last year:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9518/the-mobile-cpu-corecount-debate/18

They concluded that multi-core performance is very important for the web browsing experience as well as the speed of app installations/updates. Android is surprisingly multi-threaded these days.

Yep. Android is pretty focused on multithreading.

But I still maintain that single core performance is still the way to go now. 8 cores are already more than enough.

A small loan of a broken G4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy