03-04-2016 06:37 PM
41 12
tools
    I'm not trying to create a war between S7 owners in different regions, but if you're anything like me you might find this kind of stuff interesting, especially as both Qualcomm and Samsung now have their own custom-designed CPU cores.

Exynos 8890 Geekbench

Single-core: ~2100-2200
    Multi-core: ~6400-6500

Received my S7 Edge today (dunno how), unboxing and questions - Page 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3326121
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=65594209

Snapdragon 820 Geekbench

Single-core: ~2300-2400
    Multi-core: ~5400-5500

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=5023356
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=5024647

I thought I'd create a thread so that (for anyone interested) we can discuss the difference in CPU/GPU benchmarks with Snapdragon and Exynos as more results come in from lucky people getting their S7s
    ironass and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    02-29-2016 12:31 PM
    I'll be honest... I don't really care about benchmarks so long as it works well.
    Cakefish, Almeuit, Leykis and 5 others like this.
    02-29-2016 12:37 PM
    I'll be honest... I don't really care about benchmarks so long as it works well.
    Yeah, that's a very healthy attitude to have. No sarcasm intended.

I just like to compare because I'm a bit of a techie geek, it's interesting and exciting to see how Qualcomm and Samsung are doing with their respective brand new CPU architectures

I'm sure there's next to no difference in the real world experience of using the phone
    02-29-2016 12:41 PM
    Those numbers are way down from some other results shown. Interesting, T-Mobile bloat affecting it?
    02-29-2016 12:45 PM
    Those numbers are way down from some other results shown. Interesting, T-Mobile bloat affecting it?
    Too early to base any concrete conclusions with just one sample from each. As soon as I find more results I'll add them to the OP and we can start to build a more accurate picture at what's going on
    ironass likes this.
    02-29-2016 12:49 PM
    1786 and 3908 vs 2158 and 6494.
    Sounds like a big difference but I know nothing about this stuff

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-29-2016 02:25 PM
    UPDATE: I was still updating things when I ran the benchmark initially. Things look a little better now

Attached Thumbnails Snapdragon vs Exynos; benchmark comparisons-2238.jpg  
    mundo472, xocomaox and Cakefish like this.
    02-29-2016 02:32 PM
    UPDATE: I was still updating things when I ran the benchmark initially. Things look a little better now

Ah that's more like it! Good to see near equal parity between these processors. I'll update the OP with these new results.
    malikshuman likes this.
    02-29-2016 02:34 PM

Wow, big difference! I don't pay a ton of attention to benchmarks like Geekbench because they only tell part of the story, but the first results you posted were much lower than expected so this is somewhat of a relief.
    Cakefish likes this.
    02-29-2016 02:41 PM
    From these early results it looks like Snapdragon has a +7.6% advantage in single-core whilst the Exynos has a 21.5% advantage in multi-core. Subject to change as more results come in of course!

GPU performance still unknown with both.
    02-29-2016 02:47 PM
    From these early results it looks like Snapdragon has a +7.6% advantage in single-core whilst the Exynos has a 21.5% advantage in multi-core. Subject to change as more results come in of course!
    This looks like it is more in-tune with what was originally presented. Glad to see the update!

My theory is that the SD820 will get a slightly higher score due to the better GPU over the Exynos.

Either way, both SoC's are monsters.
    02-29-2016 03:35 PM
    Honestly, I'm willing to bet that you won't see a difference between the 2 in daily usage. Both processors are pretty damn quick.

Maybe in games, but for streaming video, browsing the web and the norm, both are way more than adequate.
    xocomaox likes this.
    02-29-2016 04:50 PM
    Here is mine. S7 Edge. T-Mobile. Texas.

Attached Thumbnails Snapdragon vs Exynos; benchmark comparisons-119.jpg  
    xocomaox, mariusfilip and Cakefish like this.
    03-01-2016 05:56 AM
    Cheers!

Looks like ~2300 single core and 5400-5500 multi-core is the trend for the Snapdragon 820. Not bad at all.
    xocomaox likes this.
    03-01-2016 06:39 AM

Real world is key. Samsung might be up to their past "efforts" of spiking for synthetic tests. We shall see..........
    03-01-2016 07:45 AM
    Real world is key. Samsung might be up to their past "efforts" of spiking for synthetic tests. We shall see..........
    While real world is key, it is also a good thing to keep in mind that without bench-marking (not just the applications listed in this thread, but there are other ways of doing this, see below) two different devices with hard numbers, there is no way to quantify exactly how much quicker the components of the device are.

This test serves as one of the best tests for comparing a devices power at-a-glance. The other test I can think of is speed of launching and closing specific applications in succession.
    inffy likes this.
    03-01-2016 11:16 AM
    This phone is flying, no issues.
    T-mobile..SD
    Attached Thumbnails Snapdragon vs Exynos; benchmark comparisons-1456856732189.jpg  
    Cakefish likes this.
    03-01-2016 12:25 PM
    Same here stopped running benchmarks or read too much into it from last couple of years. All I care is real world usage experience and if it makes any difference. Probably not in both variants of S7.
    SR45 likes this.
    03-01-2016 12:32 PM
    Pretty much this.

They really don't matter now. Our current phones have become so powerful to the point where any increase in CPU performance yields little benefit in real-world performance. I just use benchmarks to brag.

The focus is now on software, efficiency and storage I/O performance.

For example, I recently flashed a GPe ROM on my old HTC One M7. That thing had a Snapdragon 600 that on mine, was overclocked slightly to 1.9GHz (small difference).

And honestly, even though its Antutu score was 45k compared to my LG G4's 70k, it's pretty damn quick in real-world usage, keeping up and sometimes outperforming my G4. Largely the same story against the S6, although the S6 was fairly quicker than the M7 and G4 (again, as expected), but not at what its Antutu score would lead you to believe.
    xocomaox likes this.
    03-01-2016 09:38 PM
    It's just a little bit of fun until Anandtech do their usual deep dive into the SOC architecture. I'm just one of those that are interested in that kind of thing. I'm not saying benchmarks are the be all and end all, because they're certainly not. But I like comparing things, I can't help my curiosity
    ironass likes this.
    03-02-2016 01:15 AM
    I love SnapDragon
    03-02-2016 02:45 AM
    From an end user standpoint can anyone explain the difference between single core and multi-core in real world terms? Please give examples of what these results may mean in the actual day to day use of a phone.

Thanks
    03-02-2016 05:21 AM
    From an end user standpoint can anyone explain the difference between single core and multi-core in real world terms? Please give examples of what these results may mean in the actual day to day use of a phone.

Thanks
    It completely depends on the application. Some are written for multi-threading, most are simple and are not. You will slowly begin to see more and more apps optimised for multi-core.

This just means they will be faster and you can have the phone manage more. Also, without multi-core SoC battery life would tank due to the fact that your most powerful core will always be doing the work of what a small, low power core could have done.
    03-02-2016 05:59 AM
    I've updated the OP to reflect the increasing number of benchmark results that are popping up. It is becoming clear that Snapdragon offers slightly better single-core performance whilst Exynos offers slightly superior multi-core performance.

I will also add Antutu scores soon as I see there are some results popping up on XDA forums. With that benchmark it looks like the Snapdragon is noticeably superior in 3D performance whilst the Exynos beats it in all other tests.
    ironass likes this.
    03-02-2016 07:03 AM
    I think that the snapdragon 820 will perform well if overheating and throttling isn't an issue. We all know this was an issue with 810.

03-02-2016 11:34 AM
41 12