S7 Edge Screen Durability?

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I am someone who always has a otterbox defender on my phone due to my job (paramedic/firefighter). My phone stays in my pocket and not on a belt clip. How does this phone hold up with other cases and also what cases offer the best protection?

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I am someone who always has a otterbox defender on my phone due to my job (paramedic/firefighter). My phone stays in my pocket and not on a belt clip. How does this phone hold up with other cases and also what cases offer the best protection?

If you want Otterbox protection for your Edge the only option I know of is the unicorn beatle from supcase. Amazon.com: Galaxy S7 Case, SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Series Premium Hybrid Protective Clear Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 2016 Release, Retail Package (Frost/Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Cases | SUPCASE

SROhlms

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I too am a firefighter/paramedic and have been leery when thinking about purchasing the S7 Edge purely based on its design. However, thinking back, I have only ever broken the screen on one phone and it was because I dropped it while I had its case off for a moment. I typically carry my phone in my pocket with the screen facing inward against my leg so that external bumps/hits would not impact the screen directly through my pants. If I can help it, I typically take my phone out of my pocket prior to donning my turnout gear and it simply stays on the truck or back at the firehouse.

That being said, Spigen makes several cases that extend out slightly beyond the edges of the curved edge just enough to hopefully protect it during a drop. Same for several other companies: Otterbox, Verus, etc.

As well as the Edge designs have sold in the past couple years with the S6E and Edge +, it seems that increased susceptibility to breakage would have shown its face by this point. After talking to several Best Buy, T-Mobile, and Verizon reps, it doesn't seem that the design is overly fragile if handled in an appropriate way with a case on it.

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I too am a firefighter/paramedic and have been leery when thinking about purchasing the S7 Edge purely based on its design. However, thinking back, I have only ever broken the screen on one phone and it was because I dropped it while I had its case off for a moment. I typically carry my phone in my pocket with the screen facing inward against my leg so that external bumps/hits would not impact the screen directly through my pants. If I can help it, I typically take my phone out of my pocket prior to donning my turnout gear and it simply stays on the truck or back at the firehouse.

That being said, Spigen makes several cases that extend out slightly beyond the edges of the curved edge just enough to hopefully protect it during a drop. Same for several other companies: Otterbox, Verus, etc.

As well as the Edge designs have sold in the past couple years with the S6E and Edge +, it seems that increased susceptibility to breakage would have shown its face by this point. After talking to several Best Buy, T-Mobile, and Verizon reps, it doesn't seem that the design is overly fragile if handled in an appropriate way with a case on it.

Have you had any issues with your previous Samsung Edges while working? What cases and screen protectors have you been using?

SROhlms

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you had any issues with your previous Samsung Edges while working? What cases and screen protectors have you been using?

I have never used an Edge phone variant before. I typically have used Otterbox or Spigen cases on almost all phones, but even while using a very slim Nillikin case on my Oneplus One, I never had any breakage issues.

Both Otterbox and Spigen cases in general were great. I never used the most protective versions, but also never used the thinnest, least protective either. Both case brands took spills falling out of my hand or pocket as I exited the pumper on a few occasions (6-7+ foot drop) and neither broke any portion of the phone itself.

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have never used an Edge phone variant before. I typically have used Otterbox or Spigen cases on almost all phones, but even while using a very slim Nillikin case on my Oneplus One, I never had any breakage issues.

Both Otterbox and Spigen cases in general were great. I never used the most protective versions, but also never used the thinnest, least protective either. Both case brands took spills falling out of my hand or pocket as I exited the pumper on a few occasions (6-7+ foot drop) and neither broke any portion of the phone itself.

We have the large international ambulances and I've forgotten about my phone being in my lap a few times when getting out but I've always had a defender case on my phone. I've seen that zagg is coming out with a glass screen protector for the edge

SROhlms

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
We have the large international ambulances and I've forgotten about my phone being in my lap a few times when getting out but I've always had a defender case on my phone. I've seen that zagg is coming out with a glass screen protector for the edge

Same here. Several times it has flown out of my lap or shot out of my side pocket as I hopped down the steps. I'd imagine that you wouldn't have an issues with a defender type case. I typically use the commuter line and it was always enough. If not, I guess that's what insurance is for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2