Hardware and size aside, what is the benefit of owing the Edge. I mean is the rounded display any better, or it has some benefit or is it just aesthetics? Pardon the ignorance!

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-01-2016 07:21 PM
    For me, the benefits are the bigger screen and bigger battery compared to the S7. And, to a smaller degree, the availability of the silver color.

The Edge features are interesting, but not the main reason I'd choose this over the smaller phone. Others will probably find the edge features more compelling, and I suppose once I get to use them, I might think so, too.

On the flip side, the smaller S7 is definitely more comfortable in the hand.
    xocomaox, SprintFun and vr002sh like this.
    03-01-2016 07:40 PM
    I'm coming from the s5, so for me it's a huge upgrade! I have played around with it at the verizon store and just love the way it looks and the way it feels in my hand. I was sold.
    robsawalker likes this.
    03-01-2016 07:45 PM
    Battery size, super premium looks and I actually find great value in these new edge functions. With the Edge I'm always just a swipe away from important contacts (this includes important business contacts I usually have to search my log for) and tasks that I can quickly launch from the edge screen.

03-01-2016 08:28 PM
    So specs aside, there's really nothing "better" or "improved" by choosing the Edge. I can deal and understand the specs of each phone and the way they feel in your hand but other than the screen being curved and pleasing to one's eye what is the actual "benefit" of the curved glass? I guess that's my main point.

03-01-2016 08:33 PM
    It's a style choice, just like your shoe of choice, your car of choice or your flat screen TV of choice.

Ever gone into a shoe store and had to decide between a tight pair of Nikes that were $50 more than the shoes you really need? There doesn't have to be any "added function", other than you just want them because they're hot!

It either works for you, or it doesn't

03-01-2016 09:21 PM
    So specs aside, there's really nothing "better" or "improved" by choosing the Edge. I can deal and understand the specs of each phone and the way they feel in your hand but other than the screen being curved and pleasing to one's eye what is the actual "benefit" of the curved glass? I guess that's my main point.

The edge has software features the regular S7 does not.
    03-01-2016 09:53 PM
    I'm coming from the s5, so for me it's a huge upgrade! I have played around with it at the verizon store and just love the way it looks and the way it feels in my hand. I was sold.
    I'm coming from s5 also.
    Hope someone makes a full glass screen protector. Have one on s5 and love it.

Posted from Android Central
    03-01-2016 10:20 PM
    It's a style choice, just like your shoe of choice, your car of choice or your flat screen TV of choice.

Ever gone into a shoe store and had to decide between a tight pair of Nikes that were $50 more than the shoes you really need? There doesn't have to be any "added function", other than you just want them because they're hot!

It either works for you, or it doesn't

Thanks Throttle, now l understand... Now all I need is decide either silver or black.... Uhmmm...

03-02-2016 06:41 AM
    but other than the screen being curved and pleasing to one's eye what is the actual "benefit" of the curved glass? I guess that's my main point.
    What's the benefit of owning an Audi over a Chevy Cruze? The EDGE is a nicer phone, with a bigger battery and some additional functionality which you may or may not need.
    03-02-2016 07:41 AM
    * Does not feel huge compared to S7. Also light in weight.
    * Edge panels and feed are more useful than I thought
    * Edge feed can show notifications (not sure about third party yet) and stock ticker when the screen is off (Always ON Screen also off). With screen off, slide your finger back and forth once on the edge to bring up edge feed. Kinda cool ..
    03-02-2016 07:49 AM

It is pretty and looks cool.... But for me deters from the reading and video viewing experiences. Still, I love the size and the bigger battery. If there were a 5.5 inch flat screen version with the same battery I would prefer it. I suggest reading a few long-ish articles on the edge in Best Buy. Also try some Youtube. I did not like it.

Despite that... Because of the bigger battery and perfect size for me I may buy it. Waiting for more reviews first.
    03-02-2016 09:07 AM
    can you please explain some of them extra features.

i already preordered mine, so i'm getting it regardless. but i'm curious on these extra functions
    03-02-2016 09:37 AM
    True, but most of those could be implemented without the edge display. I already have an app that lets me swipe in from the side of the screen to do various functions.

I think the "style" answer is the [mostly] correct one. I personally would be just as happy, or maybe happier, with an S7 Plus. The same size screen and battery as the Edge, but in a design like the regular S7.
    nonie likes this.
    03-02-2016 12:45 PM
    True, but most of those could be implemented without the edge display. I already have an app that lets me swipe in from the side of the screen to do various functions.

I think the "style" answer is the [mostly] correct one. I personally would be just as happy, or maybe happier, with an S7 Plus. The same size screen and battery as the Edge, but in a design like the regular S7.
    Me too on s7 +

Posted from Android Central
    03-02-2016 12:48 PM
    On the Original Note Edge I could see the point as the screen was 160pixels wider. on the S7 Edge it is only a standard QHD screen same as the S7.

Theoretically most of the extra stuff could be done on the S7 too.

Edge flash is only one thing i can think that would be no good as you would not see that on a non curved screen.

I have pre-ordered the Edge anyway as I want the size. Coming from a Note 3 the S7 would be too small.
    03-02-2016 04:22 PM
    I got it mainly for size
    03-02-2016 06:38 PM

I agree with you on that, but OP asked a kind of ridiculous question about a hardware feature and asked for the benefit without listing hardware benefits, so it was the only way I could see to answer it.

I would have gotten an S7+ as well, and if this Edge had ones like the original Note Edge, (big ones), I wouldn't have gotten the phone at all.
    recDNA likes this.
    03-02-2016 08:17 PM
    I agree with you on that, but OP asked a kind of ridiculous question about a hardware feature and asked for the benefit without listing hardware benefits, so it was the only way I could see to answer it.

I would have gotten an S7+ as well, and if this Edge had ones like the original Note Edge, (big ones), I wouldn't have gotten the phone at all.
    Guys, I believe I had a valid question rather than a ridiculous one. I guess I should have asked this question instead: in what way the curvature of the screen help or make the phone better or different, hardware or software wise?

I hope to clarify this point and thank you all for your valued input.

xocomaox likes this.
    03-02-2016 10:04 PM