10-21-2016 05:00 PM
1,137 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I've had my Edge for 5 days and battery life is TERRIBLE. Worse than my S6 I had previously. Not sure what is going on. I started by turning off the Always On screen, then disabling every app that I can find that I don't want. And I only installed the apps that I actually use, which is less than what I had on my S6. I turned off the Edge screen feed and lighting (still have on the swiping feature to call up app shortcuts). In looking at battery usage, it says that Android System is using 45% and Android OS 16%, then the next closest thing is Spotify at 4% and a couple other apps less than that. So I can't figure out why it's draining so fast. I usually unplug around 730am and I'm at 40% by noon with little usage. With my phone not in use the last hour I lost 7% with it just sitting on the desk. So frustrating!
    Jako,
    I think I had similar symptoms for my first few days as you described. Let me guess.. you switched away from Touchwiz, and you're using either Google Launcher or Nova? If you did, I would switch back to Touchwiz for a day or two and compare your battery life. This is or course if you've marked off the other obvious things like signal strength, high accuracy location, and screen brighthess, etc...

I had so-so battery life the first few days into it, with Android System taking up the bulk like yours (40+%). I was using Google Now Launcher, as I love the Now Cards on the left screen. Anyway, as soon as I switched back to Touchwiz, rebooted, recharged.. and ran with it... battery life went up quite a bit. Not sure why unless Samsung has some proprietary stuff for battery efficiency with their own launcher.
    03-21-2016 01:47 PM
    No. Nova. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

After much dismay and using Nova for over 7 years, I had to let it go. Long story short, Nova Launcher was keeping my phone awake the entire time the phone was on. I am NOT saying that it's everyone's problem, but unfortunately for me and MY phone it was causing my phone not to deep sleep. After removing Nova, I began to setup Touchwiz, my phone rebooted by itself and the phone was super warm. After removing it, my phone now sleeps like a baby. I expect that my massive drain will end. Again this may not be everyone's problem, but for me I had to let it go. Sorry Nova, Touchwiz works just fine for me right now.
    I've come back to publicly apologize to Kevin @NovaLauncher and anyone that followed by rushed and informed quote above. I've really found the problem to my battery drain. It is the default email app. I use the default email app for unwanted mail. I have over 20,000 unread emails. In short, the email app was syncing every 15 minutes. When email would sync it try to sync more than 10 emails at a time, every 15 minutes. I removed my yahoo from the default email and use the official email app. I will screenshot my results later.
    03-21-2016 01:48 PM
    I switched from a Droid Turbo to the S7E. Based on my usage, battery life between the two is the same, very good. The only difference between the two is I am using Touchwiz on S7E vice Nova on Turbo. So far I am really enjoying this device.
    03-21-2016 02:19 PM
    I am using Google now launcher and as can be seen I am getting amazing battery life, unlike now cards and giving the device as close to a stock experience as possible.
    03-21-2016 03:00 PM
    I am using Google now launcher and as can be seen I am getting amazing battery life, unlike now cards and giving the device as close to a stock experience as possible.
    That's my experience is well. Battery life has been amazing..
    03-21-2016 03:17 PM
    Yep. 7.5h of sot with 14-15 stand-by time. I would be at my second charge with the g3. Love it !

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-1431.jpg  
    03-21-2016 03:23 PM
    Deleted nova and change keyboard back to swift key, deleted shut up and got battery life back to 5hr plus...was getting 3 to 4 hrs

Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-2566.jpg  
    03-21-2016 03:44 PM
    I just hate that I can't move the app drawer in the stock launcher. Lol
    ksm09 likes this.
    03-21-2016 04:00 PM
    S7 edge Battery life-screenshot_20160321-140248.jpg

Seems like when I do almost nothing the system is eating my battery like crazy. I've done almost nothing on the phone and lost almost 50% in 5 hours.
    03-21-2016 04:05 PM
    You actually can't disable KNOX, but i tried force stopping it and it never helped... I am able to get through the day for the most part, but battery life is NO WHERE near 5-6 hours...
    currently at 62% with 1 hour of screen on time, although we were playing an audio book via bluetooth for 46 minutes which ate up 398mAh or about 14%, but android system and android OS took up about 37% with Google services adding 8%...

i think I may end up returning the phone...
    03-21-2016 06:08 PM
    I've had my Edge for 5 days and battery life is TERRIBLE. Worse than my S6 I had previously. Not sure what is going on. I started by turning off the Always On screen, then disabling every app that I can find that I don't want. And I only installed the apps that I actually use, which is less than what I had on my S6. I turned off the Edge screen feed and lighting (still have on the swiping feature to call up app shortcuts). In looking at battery usage, it says that Android System is using 45% and Android OS 16%, then the next closest thing is Spotify at 4% and a couple other apps less than that. So I can't figure out why it's draining so fast. I usually unplug around 730am and I'm at 40% by noon with little usage. With my phone not in use the last hour I lost 7% with it just sitting on the desk. So frustrating!
    My phone started doing the same thing. Draining 10% sitting in my purse and not using it. It didn't start happen no until tmobile update on Friday. Before Friday I had amazing battery. I took it to tmobile yesterday. While there the phone just sitting on the counter the battery went from 80% down to 64% while the person helping me was on the phone with a csr trying to troubleshoot the issue. Since they (tmobile) saw the drain themselves made arrangements to exchange my phone..i won't get the new phone until they are back in Stock.

03-21-2016 06:15 PM
    Just disable the crap that Samsung and the carrier's add on the phone and reclaim your hours
    03-21-2016 06:34 PM
    Unfortunately I've already disabled every Verizon and Samsung app that I have, plus others...and deleted any apps I may not use all the time...and turned off the edge notifications and news, and turned off syncing on any apps that pull regularly (like email, podcast, etc). And still, here I sit at 4:46pm PST with only 24% left after only 50 min of active screen time and no music streaming. I'm pretty sure I'm going to return the phone, but not sure if they'll give me another one. If not, I'll just return this and get the S7 regular. Given how many other people have said the battery life is great, I just want to believe that I got a lemon. I really like the phone otherwise, but the battery life is a dealbreaker for me
    03-21-2016 06:49 PM
    It could just be some batteries are better than others.
    03-21-2016 07:03 PM
    Not sure how there can not be something wrong with the device , I disabled the bloat, turned off smart features since I do not use them, added a dark theme and disabled HD Voice.

I sync exchange all day and Gmail, send tons of emails and text messages, use wifi and stream YouTube and Spotify, read tapa and Facebook through out the day, use the camera and make calls and average 7-8 hours a day screen time with plenty of battery to spare.
    03-21-2016 08:08 PM
    phone on today for 13 hours with 1 hour of screen time, and the battery is at 60%.
    03-21-2016 08:33 PM
    Unfortunately I've already disabled every Verizon and Samsung app that I have, plus others...and deleted any apps I may not use all the time...and turned off the edge notifications and news, and turned off syncing on any apps that pull regularly (like email, podcast, etc). And still, here I sit at 4:46pm PST with only 24% left after only 50 min of active screen time and no music streaming. I'm pretty sure I'm going to return the phone, but not sure if they'll give me another one. If not, I'll just return this and get the S7 regular. Given how many other people have said the battery life is great, I just want to believe that I got a lemon. I really like the phone otherwise, but the battery life is a dealbreaker for me
    Just for fun have you tried turning on power saving mode, and do you play any games?

03-21-2016 08:55 PM
    Not sure if it's true or not. I heard someone had a bad memory card that caused the kind of battery drain that you are talking about. If you have a memory card installed, maybe try to remove it. Restart your phone and see if it's any better.
    recDNA likes this.
    03-21-2016 08:55 PM
    The GOOD app. UGH. Every time I get frustrated about my 3 hours of SOT vs everyone else's 6, I need to remind myself that this atrocity has to be on my phone for work. Anyone have an idea what kind of battery waste this app is causing?

For many, many reasons the most inappropriately named app...
    Yes. This app is a battery killer.

ClintRo likes this.
    03-21-2016 10:15 PM
    So today I set game launcher to max power and radio on lte/cdma. I was home most of the day though.

Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-186.jpg  
    03-21-2016 10:17 PM
    Second part

Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-187.jpg  
    03-21-2016 10:18 PM
    Well, this is awkward.

Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-77746.jpg  
    03-22-2016 01:26 AM
    Forcing 4G on for faster video playback in a weak 4G area, streaming Netflix for a good 3-4 hours and a brightness of 60% on average. Also doing standard browsing, gear 2 neo and Bluetooth headphones on for a lot of this time.

I'm still impressed by this to be fair, but I won't be happy until I can hammer it like this and have at least 50% left.
    Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-10940.jpg  
    03-22-2016 01:26 AM
    Forcing 4G on for faster video playback in a weak 4G area, streaming Netflix for a good 3-4 hours and a brightness of 60% on average. Also doing standard browsing, gear 2 neo and Bluetooth headphones on for a lot of this time.

I'm still impressed by this to be fair, but I won't be happy until I can hammer it like this and have at least 50% left.
    Part 2
    Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-10939.jpg  
    03-22-2016 01:32 AM
    My S7 Edge is paired with my Gear S watch so I get all my notifications and texts on the watch as well. Many times, I reply using the watch if I'm outside and the phone is in the house.

S7 edge Battery life-screenshot_20160322-045137.jpg
    03-22-2016 05:56 AM
1,137 ... 1718192021 ...