10-21-2016 05:00 PM
1,137 1234 ...
tools
    So one would reasonably expect about 5.5 hours SOT from the standard S7 with the same usage as the edge has 20% larger battery?

That's pretty much what my Sony Z5 Compact gets, so I'm cool with that.

Still... would LOVE 7 hours SOT. Still time to cancel my preorder and go for the edge instead...
    xocomaox likes this.
    03-02-2016 01:42 AM
    No mention if this is SD820 or exynos
    I really hope the exynos version has similar battery life!
    03-02-2016 02:18 AM
    i use a gear s which needs bluetooth on my phone and thats the real battery killer on my s5.

was bluetooth on during your test?
    03-02-2016 03:07 AM
    Just checked google+ and I saw 3 people already with 6.5 - 7 hours of sot with heavy use.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Cakefish likes this.
    03-02-2016 05:04 AM
    Phone off the charger (after charging to 100%) and now after 12 hours, I am at 92%. Light use, 20 mins of phone and whatsapp call and an hr of listening to music. Screen does not even show up in the top 5.
    Overnight with wifi, data, bluetooth and gps off and in powersaver mode, i lost 2 percent between 11 PM and 5 AM.
    Techno-guy and TenshiNo like this.
    03-02-2016 08:01 AM
    Phone off the charger (after charging to 100%) and now after 12 hours, I am at 92%. Light use, 20 mins of phone and whatsapp call and an hr of listening to music. Screen does not even show up in the top 5.
    Overnight with wifi, data, bluetooth and gps off and in powersaver mode, i lost 2 percent between 11 PM and 5 AM.
    wow wow weeza that's good!
    03-02-2016 08:19 AM
    I'm 24 hours in and absolutely loving the battery life. Only about 1-1.5% drain per hour in Standby and that's with the Always On screen running.

I'd say, at least in my early impression, it's on par with my iPhone 6s Plus which has the best battery life of any phone I've ever owned and it's hard to want much more than that. Couple that with fantastically quick charging and it's a winner (at least from my 24 hour impressions). Go Samsung!
    Man this is awesome news. Thank you for the updates on battery.
    Techno-guy and jimbo1mcm like this.
    03-02-2016 08:25 AM
    Could we see some screen shots of what is using the battery? My Note is currently being drained by Android OS daily and I am hopeful Marshmallow will be the fix we need. Thanks in advance
    03-02-2016 08:40 AM
    Good news! Battery life normally not a problem for me because I have wireless charging pads in three different locations in my home, at my desk at work and a charger in my car, so most of the time if I set my phone down it is charging. Wireless charging is a requirement when I buy a phone.
    Rose4uKY, Gerryinbc and blambtn like this.
    03-02-2016 08:45 AM
    Seems to be pretty good!

03-02-2016 10:40 AM
    How well do those wireless chargers work? My friend bought one for her note 5 the fast one and returned it. She said your phone had to be on their just right a certain way and then I'm guessing you would have to take off the case right? My husband said he might want one for work so I was wanting to know more about them.

Good news! Battery life normally not a problem for me because I have wireless charging pads in three different locations in my home, at my desk at work and a charger in my car, so most of the time if I set my phone down it is charging. Wireless charging is a requirement when I buy a phone.
    03-02-2016 11:09 AM
    US will get the Snapdragon 820

03-02-2016 11:30 AM
    Seems to be pretty good!

you getting one smooth?
    03-02-2016 11:38 AM
    How well do those wireless chargers work? My friend bought one for her note 5 the fast one and returned it. She said your phone had to be on their just right a certain way and then I'm guessing you would have to take off the case right? My husband said he might want one for work so I was wanting to know more about them.
    I don't use a case with any of my phones but I think some cases work with wireless and some don't. I bought a couple of cheap charging pads on Amazon for $10 each and they work fine. I have more experience using wireless charging with Nokia/Microsoft phones but I've found the phone needs to be mostly sitting on the pad but not exactly aligned. Keep in mind these pads charge slowly but when my phone is sitting on my nightstand while I sleep or on my desk at work for hours it isn't an issue. If I need a quick battery boost I use the wired quick charge.
    03-02-2016 11:44 AM
    I don't use a case with any of my phones but I think some cases work with wireless and some don't. I bought a couple of cheap charging pads on Amazon for $10 each and they work fine. I have more experience using wireless charging with Nokia/Microsoft phones but I've found the phone needs to be mostly sitting on the pad but not exactly aligned. Keep in mind these pads charge slowly but when my phone is sitting on my nightstand while I sleep or on my desk at work for hours it isn't an issue. If I need a quick battery boost I use the wired quick charge.
    Could cheap pads potentially damage the battery? I'm thinking of getting one or two but don't want to pay full whack.
    03-02-2016 11:55 AM
    I don't think the pad could cause any damage to the phone.

As far as cases go, wireless charging will generally only work through a thin case. If you've got your phone in one of the bulky rugged cases you're probably out of luck, although MAYBE the new rapid charge ones from Samsung would do better. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to connect these pucks to a charger with at least 1.5 amps output. When I've tried 1 amp chargers, wireless charging is very unreliable. Finally, yes, position does matter if you're using a charging puck with a single coil (all the cheap ones). But it only took me a day or two to figure out the right spot and consistently place the phone in the right position. It's not rocket science.

I've got a couple of PowerBot chargers, and they've worked great. This seems to be a newer version of what I have:

Amazon.com: PowerBot® PB1032 Ultra Slim Qi Enabled Wireless Travel Charger Inductive Charging Pad Station for Nexus 4 / 5 / 6 / 7, Nokia Lumia 928 / 920, HTC 8X / Droid DNA / Rzound, Motorola Droid Maxx / Mini, LG D1L / LTE2 / G2 / G3 and All Qi Ena
    03-02-2016 12:17 PM
    What about the non-edge version though??
    03-02-2016 12:44 PM

You're right in that running it all the way down and then fully charging doesn't affect the actual battery life....however it does let the system properly calibrate the battery so that it can accurately gauge how much juice is left. You ever had a phone go from 15% to 5% in ten minutes and then shut off a few minutes later? Its because thesystem doesn't have a good calibration data set for the battery.
    GoreJak likes this.
    03-02-2016 01:01 PM
    you getting one smooth?
    If I followed my usual pattern of upgrading then yes, but this time I wanna wait for the Note 6...ive became a fan of the pen eversince I had the Note 5 lol
    ubigred and MRS DIVA like this.
    03-02-2016 01:02 PM
    So is it safe to say that the number 7 in S7 is the SOT? lol...
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-02-2016 03:13 PM
    If I followed my usual pattern of upgrading then yes, but this time I wanna wait for the Note 6...ive became a fan of the pen eversince I had the Note 5 lol
    You can have both. I will. Haha.

Rose4uKY likes this.
    03-02-2016 03:22 PM
    Me too ! lol

03-02-2016 03:39 PM
    As a veteran of the Motorola Droid Maxx HD and Motorola Droid Turbo battery wars, it is very, very helpful to tell us where your screen brightness is set to--is it at 50%; 75%, on adaptive-brightness? (or whatever Samsung calls it), your screen on time, plus screen shots of your battery use and app percent usages.

I have gotten 7 hours screen on time at about 40% brightness with my Droid Turbo, but now that it's 14 months old I can "only" get about 5 1/2 hours. Still, that's really using the phone a lot throughout a day. A typical day is 3 hours screen on time with about 35% - 40% remaining when I go to bed. Battery size on the Turbo is 3900 mAh.

I'm thinking of "defecting" from Motorola to Samsung but my number one concern is battery life. I just won't put up with a battery that won't get me easily through a day of heavy usage. Looks like the S7 Edge can get the job done.
    Dukins and ozaz like this.
    03-02-2016 04:24 PM
    You can have both. I will. Haha.

Haha true! Idk I'll think about it lol its an awesome phone I love that water resistance is back!
    03-02-2016 04:31 PM
    Haha true! Idk I'll think about it lol its an awesome phone I love that water resistance is back!
    I love that they increased the battery size a 1000 mah over the previous iteration. I also love how insanely fast the camera is, especially the auto-focusing.

smooth4lyfe likes this.
    03-02-2016 05:40 PM
1,137 1234 ...