10-21-2016 05:00 PM
1,137 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    I got my S7 Edge last week and after thinking there was something wrong with the battery, because when I tried to charge it on the Samsung wireless charger it would flash green and blue then stop charging, I returned it and got another one. It does the same thing. Now I don't know where everyone is getting this awesome battery power but on the first and current second one my battery lasts 2 hours tops while using it. That's with the GPS and Bluetooth turned off, with or without a wifi signal. Before the Galaxy S7 Edge I had a Nokia Lumia 1520 and that battery lasted me days. So one, what's wrong with this charger, and two why is this battery draining super fast just because I'm using it?
    Have you tried using it with the normal charger? And what are you doing with it when you use it?
    05-11-2016 09:41 AM
    You won't have the carrier bloat like the Amazon apps (though for those who choose to use those they aren't bloat of course), but there's still a lot of Samsung stuff that replicates Google features, etc. I'm sure you'll find quite a bit to disable.
    Sounds good. Is it Package Disabler Pro (Samsung) or Package Disabler+ Pro (Samsung). Both are paid and show up under the one developer.
    05-11-2016 09:54 AM
    Did you restore a backup from old phone or did you start from fresh?
    So when I got my S7 Edge at verizon they transferred everything over for me from my Note 5 to my new S7 Edge including the apps and settings. Will that affect my battery life? I seem to be getting better life than on my note 5. If I should do a factory reset and start fresh how is the best way to do that without losing my text messages, pictures, and other data?
    05-11-2016 10:47 AM
    I actually went ahead and purchased package disabler pro and disabled some things I know I never will use and see how my battery life fairs from here on out

Posted via the Android Central App
    Guarantee you it'll be much much better. I was pretty skeptical at first. But I used my phone for 12 hours yesterday and still had 48% percent left... Thats crazy. Let's us know your progress today!

Posted via the Android Central App on S7 Edge
    05-11-2016 11:58 AM
    It was hard enough decide what to disable in that. A lot of the stuff in pink looked like I needed it (things like NFC), so I didn't get to disable all that much.
    05-11-2016 12:20 PM
    I'm getting 5 to 6 hours SOT now so I'm not sure I want to mess around with system processes. Has anybody had any ill effects from disabling processes?

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge
    05-11-2016 03:04 PM
    I'm getting 5 to 6 hours SOT now so I'm not sure I want to mess around with system processes. Has anybody had any ill effects from disabling processes?

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge
    Nope. Phone is perfectly fine. The great thing is you can always enable everything back to how it was if you're not satisfied. So what do you have to lose. 99 cents and a few minutes toggling s few switches to save a huge chunk of battery life...

Posted via the Android Central App on S7 Edge
    KPMcClave likes this.
    05-11-2016 04:28 PM
    Everything I disabled on Package Disabler made no difference at all. Stay Awake time just climbs and climbs (phone never ever dozes, it used to before this APD3 update).

Is there any possible way of finding out what causes this without rooting the phone? There has to be some sort of an app out there that can pinpoint this and tell you.
    05-11-2016 04:47 PM
    This post here isn't meant to be anything amazing. Just something funny I noticed.

My radio app kills the phone more than any other app (even Netflix and Crunchyroll) due to the radio being used constantly (light data use of 30-40 KB / sec). The SoT is only almost 2 hours. It's to be expected though due to the LTE radio constantly going.

Random post over now haha :P.
    Attached Thumbnails S7 edge Battery life-1463003533222.jpg  
    05-11-2016 04:52 PM
    Everything I disabled on Package Disabler made no difference at all. Stay Awake time just climbs and climbs (phone never ever dozes, it used to before this APD3 update).

Is there any possible way of finding out what causes this without rooting the phone? There has to be some sort of an app out there that can pinpoint this and tell you.
    Use Wakelock Detector& follow the instruction for non rooted phone.
    I used it to track down the wakelock and now my phone is sleeping like a baby.
    05-11-2016 04:58 PM

Same here. Package Disabler made no difference for me b/c according to Wakelock detector, the problem was Google not letting my phone deep sleep & Doze.

After using Greenify beta & fully activating Aggressive Doze with adb (no root), my phone sleeps like a baby now.
    05-11-2016 05:44 PM
    Use Wakelock Detector& follow the instruction for non rooted phone.
    I used it to track down the wakelock and now my phone is sleeping like a baby.
    I've tried for over an hour there but cannot get the Chrome app to detect the phone no matter what drivers I try to use (ADB or not). The instructions are pretty sketchy to say the least anyway, so I'm not even sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Only hope now is that Samsung do something about it. Really disappointing if they wreck the phone with an update and then wash their hands of it.
    05-11-2016 06:09 PM
    So I am looking at my gsam stats and I see there is a held awake area and when I click on it, it says held awak/doze. My phone is going into deep sleep but not doze is this normal?
    05-11-2016 07:48 PM
    Many times it is a google service updated or product that will destabilize your battery life
    05-11-2016 08:54 PM
    Many times it is a google service updated or product that will destabilize your battery life
    So how would I figure that out?
    05-11-2016 09:48 PM
    Decided to leave mine alone for a couple of hours after a full charge this morning to see the drain.
    Time off charge 2h18, Stay Awake 2h15, battery remaining 81%.
    05-12-2016 07:37 AM
    Try downgrading or changing google play services. It could help because i have noticed sometimes new versions alter battery patterns. You can download at apkmirror.com
    05-12-2016 11:18 AM
    Try downgrading or changing google play services. It could help because i have noticed sometimes new versions alter battery patterns. You can download at apkmirror.com
    I had been actually looking for that option the other day. On my old G4, you had three options on the app info page (force stop, disable, uninstall updates) and it was always a great way to help battery life. But the Samsung doesn't have the Uninstall Updates option on it. The apk route would be an option but I don't know the last version number when my battery was holding charge, but I might have a hunt and see.

That said, by all accounts it's the APD3 update from Samsung that has broken a lot of battery lifes for people and mine is bad since that update too.
    05-12-2016 11:38 AM
    Hmm I didn't know that was possible I actually just changed to the newest version. I know that could be worse but at the same time it could be better they may have fixed a lot of the bugs worse case I downgrade back to what I had or something earlier.
    05-12-2016 12:14 PM
    In the past, with other handsets, I've found that uninstalling Play Services updates, rebooting, and then updating again to the newest version has helped with some glitches, including battery drain.
    05-12-2016 12:53 PM
    In the past, with other handsets, I've found that uninstalling Play Services updates, rebooting, and then updating again to the newest version has helped with some glitches, including battery drain.
    Yeah when I tried that, it would uninstall and then automatically reinstall the new one before I could reboot, but this time I uninstalled the updates, rebooted and then downloaded the newest version from the apkmirror.com link and installed it and so far seems to be doing well. Time will tell I guess
    05-12-2016 01:09 PM
    Always found that too. Is there any way to uninstall the updates on a Samsung? It's not in the place I'd expect on this phone.
    05-12-2016 01:10 PM
    Always found that too. Is there any way to uninstall the updates on a Samsung? It's not in the place I'd expect on this phone.
    On my S7 Edge on Verizon I had to go to settings>applications>application manager and then scroll down to google services and when I opened that up in the top right there was a more that when I clicked on that it said uninstall updates
    05-12-2016 01:33 PM
    On my S7 Edge on Verizon I had to go to settings>applications>application manager and then scroll down to google services and when I opened that up in the top right there was a more that when I clicked on that it said uninstall updates
    That's exactly where I would have expected it too. There must be differences to the European model as the More menu is missing on mine. The strange thing is that it's there for some apps and not on others, but there's no real pattern that makes sense (Play Music, Play Movies, and Play Store have the More menu, Play Books, Play Services, and Play Newstand don't). Weird.
    05-12-2016 01:38 PM
    That's exactly where I would have expected it too. There must be differences to the European model as the More menu is missing on mine. The strange thing is that it's there for some apps and not on others, but there's no real pattern that makes sense (Play Music, Play Movies, and Play Store have the More menu, Play Books, Play Services, and Play Newstand don't). Weird.
    Actually I found that too and now that you mention it I forgot that I had to go to setttings>lock screen and security then scroll down to other security settings at the bottom and then click on phone administrators and make sure that android device manager was on for some reason when I did that it let me click more on the google play services. I know it sounds weird but I had that shut off for something and never turned it back on. But sure enough when I did it let me chose more for google services. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or not but maybe give it a try.
    05-12-2016 01:51 PM
1,137 ... 2930313233 ...