10-21-2016 05:00 PM
1,137 ... 4041424344 ...
tools
    Hey all!! I read through a lot of this thread and I share the concerns of some. I have had this phone for a few months now. Battery life was pretty good at first but lately (a month at least) I am always needing to find a charger sooner than I thought I would with this phone. Some of you show SOT of 4+ hours with still battery life left. I don't even get to 2 hours. Android System is always at the top of the culprit list. Screen isn't even that bad because I don't have a ton of SOT. My usage is usually related to reading news articles on Flipboard or using Chrome for FB or local news. Only watch a youtube video every now and then and I don't play any games on the device. I use the camera a fare amount, but nothing earth-shattering. I'm really trying to avoid a factory reset because it is just a huge pain in the butt. Has anyone figured out what Android System function is using this much? Is the AOD a big battery drain or is it location setting? Very frustrating. Thanks for any help.
    AOD on eats 1% per hour. That's Samsung's own announcement.

Then depends on what you're running in the background. As per latest update, I found that the radios for internet (wifi, 4G) now eat a lot of battery. On standby, all Internet off, I get less than 1% per hour. Turn in wifi and it jumps to 3% per hour. Connect using 4G and it uses up 5% per hour. These are standby values. The phone is sitting for an hour doing nothing.
    07-06-2016 12:16 PM
    What is so hard about doing a factory reset. Install smart switch on your computer. Use smart switch to copy everything to your computer.
    Do a reset. Setup your mailbox and your Samsung account.
    Use smart switch to put everything back on your phone.
    optimummind and GoAwaySheep like this.
    07-06-2016 12:33 PM
    I did a factory reset a couple nights ago. Definitely made a big difference! Even in the initial setup, it was more in line with what I had expected when I first got the phone. I didn't have to do nearly as many steps when I bought it, so not sure what that's about.

Either way, I managed to get through the day yesterday from 6am to 10pm with about 2.5-3 hours SOT (forget exact number) with at least an hour or two to spare. It would have been more, but I intentionally used it a lot at the end of the night to wear the battery down.

Today, I was on my phone a lot, and got about 3.5 hours SOT and total of about 13 hours before hitting 13% and topping off. The fast charge seemed to speed up a bit too!

So I'm still not quite as high as some others, but overall I'm very pleased. It's proven to get me through a normal work day very comfortably (left work with 50% remaining), and a day off with even heavier use well enough. Besides, I almost always keep it on the charger in the car, and I've got a wireless charger in my office, so typically it'll rarely put me in a bind. But previously I felt I had to use them just to get through a day, while now I only need them for light use and can comfortably travel or stay out of my office without worry!
    07-06-2016 07:38 PM
    What is so hard about doing a factory reset. Install smart switch on your computer. Use smart switch to copy everything to your computer.
    Helium is another good backup app.
    07-07-2016 01:56 AM
    You'd better pair it off with Helium. SmartSwitch doesn't cover a lot of app data.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    07-07-2016 04:15 AM
    If you're factory resetting because of a glitch you probably want to get rid of all the app data anyway.
    07-07-2016 05:35 AM
    If you're factory resetting because of a glitch you probably want to get rid of all the app data anyway.
    Not everything really. You wouldn't want to lose game saves.
    07-07-2016 09:58 AM
    Soo guys..my phone had gone for warranty...for screen replacement as I had a defective display...I also complained that battery life was bad...so the engineer replaced the battery with a new one...just to inform that when screen is replaced it comes with new metal frame and new home button...I am happy phone is brand new again...though haven't installed many apps yet..but battery life is good Now

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-08-2016 01:00 PM
    S7 edge Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1468092822701.png great battery life in this last charge cycle its still holding strong a good day today lol S7 edge Battery life-uploadfromtaptalk1468092898091.png
    07-09-2016 02:35 PM
    Here is my screen shot after new battery and have less apps installed Attachment 231849S7 edge Battery life-194.jpg

07-10-2016 03:29 AM
    My SotS7 edge Battery life-192.jpg

07-10-2016 03:30 AM
    Could you guys give me a help?
    I bought, yesterday, a Galaxy S7 Edge equipped with an Exynios (Version GM-9350F).
    With normal usage - WhatsApp, spotify, Ytb and games sometimes - I got a SOT of 5 hours... Screen brighteness is set in medium-autobrighteness, and I'm using most of the time Wifi and sometimes LTE/3G.
    I've seen some people saying that they got 7hours of SOT, so I was wonder: Is my SOT normal? Do I have a deffective phone?
    Big thanks in advance!
    08-10-2016 02:22 PM
    I would use smart switch or whatever and back up everything to your computer .
    Then do a reset on your phone.
    Reset up your email address and samsung and all
    Then reload your data to the phone.

If you have a Best Buy I would make contact with a Samsung person and ask them for help.

when your in 3g mode. You are in a slow mode and if I remember it eats your battery.
    08-10-2016 02:26 PM
    I'm getting 7 hours sot
    I did a few tweaks to get it:

Turned off always on display
    Turned off Google location history
    Hmm I thinks that's it. 7.5 to 8 hours sot most days of heavy use.

08-10-2016 03:25 PM
    Forgot. This is an exynos version in Canada. I also cleared the cache in the boot menu and cleaned app cache every few days.
    08-10-2016 03:40 PM
    I had just disabled the WiFi and Bluetooth Auto Search. Do you guys think it'll make a good difference on battery life? I'll recharge my phone and let you guys know about the results tomorrow. Thanks.
    08-10-2016 04:13 PM
    Could you guys give me a help?
    I bought, yesterday, a Galaxy S7 Edge equipped with an Exynios (Version GM-9350F).
    With normal usage - WhatsApp, spotify, Ytb and games sometimes - I got a SOT of 5 hours... Screen brighteness is set in medium-autobrighteness, and I'm using most of the time Wifi and sometimes LTE/3G.
    I've seen some people saying that they got 7hours of SOT, so I was wonder: Is my SOT normal? Do I have a deffective phone?
    Big thanks in advance!
    I suspect that your usage is close to the norm. I share office space with several folks who have this phone, and we all tend to get around 5 hours screen on time with varying usage.
    MclBR likes this.
    08-10-2016 04:58 PM
    I suspect that your usage is close to the norm. I share office space with several folks who have this phone, and we all tend to get around 5 hours screen on time with varying usage.
    Thanks for your answer, sir.
    Is your WiFi AutoScanning enabled or disabled?
    Also, this is my first charge cycle... do you think it'll get better over time?
    08-10-2016 05:25 PM
    I keep the WiFi autoscan disabled because the only WiFi that I use is my own. Everything else is on the mobile network.

My battery life was OK but not great for the first few cycles, but then got a lot better very quickly. It's a big battery, so I was still able to comfortably make it through the day. I normally let a new battery drain to about 10% (with battery saving modes temporarily turned off) before recharging, and I do it for about a week. I don't know how important it is to "condition" these newer batteries, but I got started doing that a long time ago.

Of course, part of the added battery drain with a new device is exploring the new device. It seems to take me about a week or so to stop tweaking the phone or to get past the "wow, this is cool" stage and leave the phone alone unless I'm actually using it.
    MclBR and crystinonfire like this.
    08-10-2016 05:41 PM
    I keep the WiFi autoscan disabled because the only WiFi that I use is my own. Everything else is on the mobile network.

My battery life was OK but not great for the first few cycles, but then got a lot better very quickly. It's a big battery, so I was still able to comfortably make it through the day. I normally let a new battery drain to about 10% (with battery saving modes temporarily turned off) before recharging, and I do it for about a week. I don't know how important it is to "condition" these newer batteries, but I got started doing that a long time ago.

Of course, part of the added battery drain with a new device is exploring the new device. It seems to take me about a week or so to stop tweaking the phone or to get past the "wow, this is cool" stage and leave the phone alone unless I'm actually using it.
    Thanks, dude!
    One last question: your phone is the Exynios version, right?
    08-10-2016 08:06 PM
    Nope. Mine is the Snapdragon 820. I understand that the Exynos units get marginally better performance on paper, but I've read that it's supposedly not enough of a difference that most folks would notice. I've no experience with that, though.

One of my coworkers got her phone in Canada, so I expect that it has the Exynos processor. Her battery performance falls right in with the other four S7e devices in the office (all with the SD820).
    08-10-2016 08:32 PM
    Hello all,

I bought the S7 edge a week ago and I noticed that the battery doesn't really last longer than usual, if I enjoy my phone it usually lasts just the day. I checked to see if there were any apps taking more energy than usual but I found nothing. So instead I suspected maybe the battery capacity is not really that great. When I looked at the usage for each app, I noticed that it shows you the energy consumed for each app in mAh, given that it also shows the percentage of that app, I figured I can back calculate how much total mAh have been consumed and hopefully find out if the battery capacity is really 3600 mAh or not. I realize of course that this may not be accurate, however I thought it would be a good comparison method. So for example I open the screen usage and it shows 600 mAh and that is 25% of the consumed energy, which means that the total consumed is 2400 mAh, if the battery meter shows 5% left, then that means that the full battery capacity is 2526 mAh. I did this for a few charges and with different apps, and I found out that for my phone, the minimum I calculated was 2200 and the maximum was 2700.

I went through many posts here and using the screenshots people posted I calculated 16 samples; the minimum I found was 2378 mAh and the maximum was 4042 mAh, with the average was 3049 mAh.

I have concluded from this that my phone is sub-average. I read people say a factory reset solved the issue, so I will try that, if it didn't work out I will return the phone.
    09-20-2016 11:01 AM
    Remember that it can take a good week or so for a battery to settle. Now that you're past the first week "gee whiz" stage with the phone, run your test a few more times and see if it starts to get better. My power drain dropped substantially after the first week, when I was no longer tweaking it all day long or loading and configuring apps.
    09-20-2016 05:33 PM
    My battery is draining quite quick than it used to when I first brought the phone
    09-20-2016 06:01 PM
    Remember that it can take a good week or so for a battery to settle. Now that you're past the first week "gee whiz" stage with the phone, run your test a few more times and see if it starts to get better. My power drain dropped substantially after the first week, when I was no longer tweaking it all day long or loading and configuring apps.
    yeah I noticed others are saying that too, but I haven't been tweaking it or doing anything with it actually, barely even talking, just basically observing the battery, Friday is my last day so I have to make the decision quickly if I will return it.
    09-20-2016 07:35 PM
1,137 ... 4041424344 ...