S7 edge Battery life

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: S7 edge Battery life is very good

Put phone on bedside table at about 11pm last night off charger Wifi off. Always on Display was on. About midnight I had a notification hit and led started blinking. I turned it off quickly. Grabbed phone this morning about 6:30am and Lookout app had scanned all the apps.

Went from 85% to 77% in that time frame. Seems pretty good to me I guess?

Also, what is dotted line below with 3/4 by it? Is that telling me the phone was put in doze or what?

Went from 85

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160304-065035.jpg
    Screenshot_20160304-065035.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 324

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

The dotted line is when the day changes i think (can't really see that attachment though).

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

The dotted line is when the day changes i think (can't really see that attachment though).

Sorry. Any other way to attach via AC app to make bigger? I cropped this one. I wouldn't think it is day change because I hadn't seen that before?

Attachments

• 628.jpg
    628.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 133

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

From what I can gather so far, this battery seems to be able to do 15-20 hours of use with 4-5 hours of on screen on average. Obviously if you're on the lower end of the screen on time, I'm sure you can get well past 24 hours on a charge. For a phone this powerful, that's more than acceptable for me.

anon(25362)

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Put phone on bedside table at about 11pm last night off charger Wifi off. Always on Display was on. About midnight I had a notification hit and led started blinking. I turned it off quickly. Grabbed phone this morning about 6:30am and Lookout app had scanned all the apps.

Went from 85% to 77% in that time frame. Seems pretty good to me I guess?

Also, what is dotted line below with 3/4 by it? Is that telling me the phone was put in doze or what?

Went from 85

That doesn't sound like full Doze, although 85% to 77% isn't horrible. But my Nexus 6p from say 11pm to 6am would lose literally 1 to 2% typically when place on nightstand without being plugged in when doze kicks in. I wonder if the Always on Display is sucking a little more battery or messing with Doze?

EDIT:Clarifying I meant 1% to 2% for the entire night - not per hour

aalu91

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

3+ hours of CPU time is enormous. Something is keeping your phone awake and chugging the processor quite a bit. 50% of your battery burn is the Android OS so maybe it's doing updates/indexing in the background. I've seen a few high periods like that on my S7 as well early on but it subsides. Keep us updates in the next few days to see if it normalizes.

Will do. Yeah something is messing with my battery and I am not quite sure what yet. Could just be the first few days. I did a reset, last night, and overnight, the battery drained a ton too...let me know if you can diagnose it (20% drain over 8 hour period overnight)

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

aalu91

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I have been experiencing very similar results as you. I haven't had great battery life either. Have had the phone since Monday. Not really sure how much longer I need to wait to let things "settle" down.

yeah let me know if you have figured anything out. I did a factory reset and set the phone up as new and still am having the same issues. Seems like the background CPU is working a ton for some reason (android system). Also, overnight drain is 20% over 7-8 hours which is a lot when its supposed to be dozing. Seems like android system, again, is the culprit

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

That doesn't sound like full Doze, although 85% to 77% isn't horrible. But my Nexus 6p from say 11pm to 6am would lose literally 1 to 2% typically when place on nightstand without being plugged in when doze kicks in. I wonder if the Always on Display is sucking a little more battery or messing with Doze?

Like said earlier, that I did not know, Always on seems to prevent dose from working. I also had Lookout run a scan of all the apps and then a notification popped up as well.

I will try again tonight with always on off.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

As discussed in other thread here I doubt that Doze is getting triggered when using the Always On Screen feature, I may be wrong but one of the requirements for Doze was that the screen must be off.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Most people with the phone already are T-Mobile subscribers, so the following still applies.

Like some of you know, I'm the one that has always posted some Battery Optimization tips/hints for the past Samsung Flagships for the past years. The S7/edge is not an exception, years come and go and people still compares Android to iPhone on that aspect and it's not as simple as it seems. iPhone just run the basic services and stuff in the background allowing it to go to sleep mode a lot easier, on Android is way different, first, you have tons of apps and services on by default that you may not even know they are there and running.

I'd suggest you and people trying to get the most out of your new S7/edge to look for my thread on the S6 forum, it was created back in April 2015 and it has tons of replies, the first post contains all the "tips" and hints if you are looking into maximize your battery life.

Again, don't begin with the turning it into a "dumb phone" or the same boring argument, this is for people that want to maximize the battery life, if you don't like that or think you shouldn't do it, then don't do it, nobody is forcing you to.

So now with that point clear, check your Wifi Calling (You can always turn it on only when you need it), VoLTE (If you'll use it then leave it on if not turn it off), Always allow scanning on the Wifi Settings (I don't think you'll need that one on) but primarily, your Location Settings, besides the Brightness settings, the Location Setting is the most battery life offender on Android, by default Google wants you to have Google Location History on so they can cash on tracking you every move, please do yourself a favor, turn that off and see how much battery life you'll save.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

From what I can gather so far, this battery seems to be able to do 15-20 hours of use with 4-5 hours of on screen on average. Obviously if you're on the lower end of the screen on time, I'm sure you can get well past 24 hours on a charge. For a phone this powerful, that's more than acceptable for me.

Well, you're not getting 15-20 hours of use if you are getting 4-5 hours screen on time. There really is no such thing as "hours of use" apart from screen on time. Screen on time along with screen brightness setting should be the standard battery comparison tool. There are other factors of course, like what you are doing with your phone (graphics intensive gaming, phone calls, internet surfing, GPS on, etc. ), but really, screen on time is the gold standard.

I guess I'll wait for the GSM Arena battery test results, but if the S7 Edge is "only" going to get 4 1/2 hours screen on time, it's not going to meet my criteria of having a kick-*ss battery.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Well, you're not getting 15-20 hours of use if you are getting 4-5 hours screen on time. There really is no such thing as "hours of use" apart from screen on time. Screen on time along with screen brightness setting should be the standard battery comparison tool. There are other factors of course, like what you are doing with your phone (graphics intensive gaming, phone calls, internet surfing, GPS on, etc. ), but really, screen on time is the gold standard.

I guess I'll wait for the GSM Arena battery test results, but if the S7 Edge is "only" going to get 4 1/2 hours screen on time, it's not going to meet my criteria of having a kick-*ss battery.

My Note 5 gets me 4 hours on screen and around 14-15 hours of usage. Usage meaning it's been off the charger---not sure how else to describe that for you.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

How well do those wireless chargers work? My friend bought one for her note 5 the fast one and returned it. She said your phone had to be on their just right a certain way and then I'm guessing you would have to take off the case right? My husband said he might want one for work so I was wanting to know more about them.

I've got a couple of these (one at home, one at work) and they work fantastic. So long as you get the device generally "in the middle" it works and charges very quickly. I also like that the LED indicator has an auto-brightness dimmer, so that the LED's dim when you turn out the lights.

Fast Wireless Charger with Smart Lighting Sensor for Galaxy S6 edge pl

You can find them on Wish.com for even cheaper (~$20), but you'll have to wait longer to get them.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

Most people with the phone already are T-Mobile subscribers, so the following still applies.

Like some of you know, I'm the one that has always posted some Battery Optimization tips/hints for the past Samsung Flagships for the past years. The S7/edge is not an exception, years come and go and people still compares Android to iPhone on that aspect and it's not as simple as it seems. iPhone just run the basic services and stuff in the background allowing it to go to sleep mode a lot easier, on Android is way different, first, you have tons of apps and services on by default that you may not even know they are there and running.

I'd suggest you and people trying to get the most out of your new S7/edge to look for my thread on the S6 forum, it was created back in April 2015 and it has tons of replies, the first post contains all the "tips" and hints if you are looking into maximize your battery life.

Again, don't begin with the turning it into a "dumb phone" or the same boring argument, this is for people that want to maximize the battery life, if you don't like that or think you shouldn't do it, then don't do it, nobody is forcing you to.

So now with that point clear, check your Wifi Calling (You can always turn it on only when you need it), VoLTE (If you'll use it then leave it on if not turn it off), Always allow scanning on the Wifi Settings (I don't think you'll need that one on) but primarily, your Location Settings, besides the Brightness settings, the Location Setting is the most battery life offender on Android, by default Google wants you to have Google Location History on so they can cash on tracking you every move, please do yourself a favor, turn that off and see how much battery life you'll safe.

Thanks for the tips and I found your thread. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html#post4349918

On My S7 Edge, I do not see a volte on and off? I will send a screen shot momentarily..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy