S7 edge Battery life

Captpt

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I came from a Note 4 and I am in shock at how quick the S7 Edge battery goes..

Some thing isn't right, I had a Note 4 and this Edge definitely is giving me much better battery life.. Haven't had to recharge during the day's end yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Is Doze a setting you have to turn on? I got 5hrs and something last week of SOT but haven't gotten over 3 since but my phone lasted me 12 hours one day and that was all I cared about I went home after 12 hours with 30 something percent. Usually though my phone sits in my pocket at work I don't use it much depending on how busy I am. But i always have a charger so I guess I'm not going to let it bother me. All I know is this is the coolest and best phone we've ever had.

Guys, I don't know how you are getting these ridiculous SoT's! I am getting close to 3hrs and 30 mins most days but no where near 5 or 6. I'm on Verizon and I just don't feel it comes close to others. I have had it off the charger since 8am and have had screen on for 15 mins and am already down to 89%, something doesn't seem right. I have GSAM battery and looking now shows phone has been kept awake, but hard to tell from what. I use Always on Display and i guess that prevents phone from using DOZE. All you people who have bluetooth on how come it doesn't even show in your battery list, mine does and is near the top when i'm not even connected to anything. I just don't believe people who are getting 5-7 hrs of SoT what carrier and are you really using your phone?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Stupid design. I (not Google, and not an app developer) should be able to decide what apps I want to be priority. Just because my phone is sitting still on my desk doesn't mean I don't want to get notified of an email, for example. Or the reverse. Just because Google decides gmail is a priority app doesn't mean I think it is.

I am okay with it. From my 6P to this S7 Edge I have had no real issue with app notifications.. Doze or not. Also it doesn't surprise me Google prioritizes their apps .. I can think of another company that loves to do the same ;).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Stupid design. I (not Google, and not an app developer) should be able to decide what apps I want to be priority. Just because my phone is sitting still on my desk doesn't mean I don't want to get notified of an email, for example. Or the reverse. Just because Google decides gmail is a priority app doesn't mean I think it is.

It's new... N is going to bring in a bunch of enhancements to the feature. But they got to start somewhere.

And GMail uses GCM, so emails will get pushed through Doze and you'll be notified if need be.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's new... N is going to bring in a bunch of enhancements to the feature. But they got to start somewhere.

And GMail uses GCM, so emails will get pushed through Doze and you'll be notified if need be.

Did you read my entire post? Suppose I don't want gmail to wake up the phone? Or I use a different email provider and app? It should be my choice, not Google's. "It's new" isn't really a very good excuse for implementing a half-assed feature. It smacks more of panic over the fact that iOS is more efficient than Android, "so let's do something, anything, even if it isn't very good" to make our battery life look better. Why anyone thinks I care less about notifications when my phone is flat that when it's in my pocket is something I just can't understand.

I'd much rather Google fix the internals of the OS to be more efficient than add band aids that reduce the functionality of the phone. Google's code just isn't very good. Compare battery life on Android Wear to Samsung's Tizen based watched, for another example.

dgstidham1

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: 10 Hours of SOT my buttox!

thats awesome.

i finished the day with exactly your settings with AOD but only got 3 1/2 hours of SOT... I do tons of texting...

turning off sync makes your phone relatively useless doesn't it? no notifications of any kind right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160316-235636.jpg
    Screenshot_20160316-235636.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 40

dgstidham1

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: S7 edge Battery life is....

i am really curious to know this as well and its impact on performance. today i used the phone with nothing held back (i usually toggle data etc) but i only got 3 1/2 hours of SOT... this is pretty unacceptable for such a large battery!! I am a heavy user with lots of texting but NO social media. Tomorrow i will experiment with turning battery saver on the whole day and holding nothing else back and see what happens.

I am also considering turning off AOD. If i cant get to 5+ SOT, i will have to return this phone and hope that HTC does a better job!

dgstidham1

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
agreed. I was expecting stellar battery life but today only squeezed out 3 1/2 hours. System and OS took over 46%, and I was on my phone often, not leaving it on idle.... pretty concerning honestly...

i found the culprit! KNOX! took up 26% of my battery! go to application manager and go into the application info of knox, it will say how much of the battery it killed and if you press that part it will take you to android system.... bloat was is a beast....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty happy with the battery so far.

Attachments

• 1458218381931.jpg
    1458218381931.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 1458218389763.jpg
    1458218389763.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 71

shoaib shah

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
This is my take on the battery life of the s7 edge and different times we are all achieving.

According to Gsmarena Endurance rating below the s7 edge is a battery champion in video playing with over 20 hours rated.

I usually get better SOT times (6-7hrs) when playing Netflix for a hour or browsing YouTube.

Otherwise in normal day usage browsing Web email calls and messaging I barely hit 5hrs SOT.

So for those who are heavy on video streaming you probably getting more SOT time than others like myself.

Also as a point of reference I did a video test.

I downloaded a 2k video samples ran it for 90 mins on half brightness in continuous loop. The s7 edge battery went down to 89 percent only a drop on 11 percent.

That shows the proficiency of the super Amoled displays.

Hope that helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 6631.jpg
    6631.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 67

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Streaming video uses up less juice than most people expect... Your phone really isn't doing all that much during that period, and the GPU, which is usually less power hungry than the main processor anyhow, is doing most of the work.

Liquid_Chaos87

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Still getting great battery life. I can't even get below 40% in a day with moderate use. I wake up very early at 3:30am and still have about 60% battery left at 9:00 at night. With the S6, I'd be charging twice a day or every chance I got.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The past two days the cell standby has been killing my battery, today it used 38% so far it is on the top of the list under the battery stats.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
agreed. I was expecting stellar battery life but today only squeezed out 3 1/2 hours. System and OS took over 46%, and I was on my phone often, not leaving it on idle.... pretty concerning honestly...

i found the culprit! KNOX! took up 26% of my battery! go to application manager and go into the application info of knox, it will say how much of the battery it killed and if you press that part it will take you to android system.... bloat was is a beast....

Did you end up disabling knox? I heard you shouldn't for whatever reason.

cb64800

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a new GS7 Edge user.
I am very impressed by the battery life.

My settings:
- Screen brightness: Auto
- Bluetooth: On
- Wifi: On
- Always on screen: On

Utilisation:
I must admit, it was a low utilisation:
- 4 email accounts (push)
- no games
- "normal" phone calls
- "low" usage of the browser
- moderate usage of the camera: about 15 photos taken