S7 edge Battery life

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Everything I disabled on Package Disabler made no difference at all. Stay Awake time just climbs and climbs (phone never ever dozes, it used to before this APD3 update).

Is there any possible way of finding out what causes this without rooting the phone? There has to be some sort of an app out there that can pinpoint this and tell you.

Same here. Package Disabler made no difference for me b/c according to Wakelock detector, the problem was Google not letting my phone deep sleep & Doze.

After using Greenify beta & fully activating Aggressive Doze with adb (no root), my phone sleeps like a baby now.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Use Wakelock Detector& follow the instruction for non rooted phone.
I used it to track down the wakelock and now my phone is sleeping like a baby.

I've tried for over an hour there but cannot get the Chrome app to detect the phone no matter what drivers I try to use (ADB or not). The instructions are pretty sketchy to say the least anyway, so I'm not even sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Only hope now is that Samsung do something about it. Really disappointing if they wreck the phone with an update and then wash their hands of it.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
So I am looking at my gsam stats and I see there is a held awake area and when I click on it, it says held awak/doze. My phone is going into deep sleep but not doze is this normal?
62daf8c35f7dfd175766ffd16a2b28c1.jpg

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Decided to leave mine alone for a couple of hours after a full charge this morning to see the drain.
Time off charge 2h18, Stay Awake 2h15, battery remaining 81%.

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Try downgrading or changing google play services. It could help because i have noticed sometimes new versions alter battery patterns. You can download at apkmirror.com

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Try downgrading or changing google play services. It could help because i have noticed sometimes new versions alter battery patterns. You can download at apkmirror.com

I had been actually looking for that option the other day. On my old G4, you had three options on the app info page (force stop, disable, uninstall updates) and it was always a great way to help battery life. But the Samsung doesn't have the Uninstall Updates option on it. The apk route would be an option but I don't know the last version number when my battery was holding charge, but I might have a hunt and see.

That said, by all accounts it's the APD3 update from Samsung that has broken a lot of battery lifes for people and mine is bad since that update too.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

Hmm I didn't know that was possible I actually just changed to the newest version. I know that could be worse but at the same time it could be better they may have fixed a lot of the bugs worse case I downgrade back to what I had or something earlier.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
In the past, with other handsets, I've found that uninstalling Play Services updates, rebooting, and then updating again to the newest version has helped with some glitches, including battery drain.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
In the past, with other handsets, I've found that uninstalling Play Services updates, rebooting, and then updating again to the newest version has helped with some glitches, including battery drain.

Yeah when I tried that, it would uninstall and then automatically reinstall the new one before I could reboot, but this time I uninstalled the updates, rebooted and then downloaded the newest version from the apkmirror.com link and installed it and so far seems to be doing well. Time will tell I guess

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Always found that too. Is there any way to uninstall the updates on a Samsung? It's not in the place I'd expect on this phone.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Always found that too. Is there any way to uninstall the updates on a Samsung? It's not in the place I'd expect on this phone.

On my S7 Edge on Verizon I had to go to settings>applications>application manager and then scroll down to google services and when I opened that up in the top right there was a more that when I clicked on that it said uninstall updates

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
On my S7 Edge on Verizon I had to go to settings>applications>application manager and then scroll down to google services and when I opened that up in the top right there was a more that when I clicked on that it said uninstall updates

That's exactly where I would have expected it too. There must be differences to the European model as the More menu is missing on mine. The strange thing is that it's there for some apps and not on others, but there's no real pattern that makes sense (Play Music, Play Movies, and Play Store have the More menu, Play Books, Play Services, and Play Newstand don't). Weird.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
That's exactly where I would have expected it too. There must be differences to the European model as the More menu is missing on mine. The strange thing is that it's there for some apps and not on others, but there's no real pattern that makes sense (Play Music, Play Movies, and Play Store have the More menu, Play Books, Play Services, and Play Newstand don't). Weird.

Actually I found that too and now that you mention it I forgot that I had to go to setttings>lock screen and security then scroll down to other security settings at the bottom and then click on phone administrators and make sure that android device manager was on for some reason when I did that it let me click more on the google play services. I know it sounds weird but I had that shut off for something and never turned it back on. But sure enough when I did it let me chose more for google services. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or not but maybe give it a try.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually I found that too and now that you mention it I forgot that I had to go to setttings>lock screen and security then scroll down to other security settings at the bottom and then click on phone administrators and make sure that android device manager was on for some reason when I did that it let me click more on the google play services. I know it sounds weird but I had that shut off for something and never turned it back on. But sure enough when I did it let me chose more for google services. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or not but maybe give it a try.

Neither setting on Device Manager allow me to uninstall updates when I go back to Play Services. Strange one.

I've just been having a look down through my apps on the Application Manager and I've one showing up called OM Customise that has used 8% of my battery, when I press it it opens up the battery stats for Android OS and shows the large awake time that I'm getting through the main battery stats menu. I can't uninstall it, I can't even disable it. Does anyone have any idea what it is?

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a GS7E, but it seems the last few pages of this thread seem to be chasing down high Android System usage. Have you all disabled S-Health, S-Voice and turned off VOLTE? All are contributors.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a GS7E, but it seems the last few pages of this thread seem to be chasing down high Android System usage. Have you all disabled S-Health, S-Voice and turned off VOLTE? All are contributors.

I don't think that this has as big an effect on battery life as people think it does. I have two S7 Edge phones. I haven't been using them much the last two weeks because I'm using a Note 4 and a Note Edge as my daily phones. Standby times on the S7 Edge phones have been between 2-3+ days with about an hour of screen time. Both have T-Mobile sims in them.

Screenshot_20160513-073439.jpgScreenshot_20160513-073357.jpg

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Android system is a big issue for me and is normally my top battery usage, even above screen.

I tried the uninstall Google play services technique but it made no difference. I've tried disabling services but the few I did made no difference. I need to be more brutal I guess.

The big issue here for me is that my battery used to be better and android system wasn't so high. So something has changed. I guess it was the last update which I hope Samsung will fix soon

Posted via the Android Central App

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site

FWIW, I don't have any of these disabled, and I can get 2+ days of use out of mine with around 5-6 hours sot with always on disabled. Always on reduces that by about 25% for me. That's on par with my lumia 1520 which has a higher endurance rating listed on gsmarena.

Not saying these aren't power hungry apps, but it shouldn't be a requirement to good battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800