S7 edge Battery life

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
In the battery settings - Use Details about Cell Standby it says

Time Without Signal - 0%
Mobile Radio Active - 20m 15s
Computed Power Use - 132 mAh.

The phone was charged to 100% last night and has just lain unused by my bed and this morning the battery is at 75%. Is that fairly normal statistics?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
In the battery settings - Use Details about Cell Standby it says

Time Without Signal - 0%
Mobile Radio Active - 20m 15s
Computed Power Use - 132 mAh.

The phone was charged to 100% last night and has just lain unused by my bed and this morning the battery is at 75%. Is that fairly normal statistics?
I don't think so. Do you have AOD on? I lose just about 5% overnight.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the international S7 Edge I bought on Amazon after I shattered my ATT S7 Edge. Man this battery life is insane. I don't know if it was the bloatware or the snapdragon or both but my battery life is probably 50% better. Plus I think this one will get the security updates quicker.
:)

tstolz

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the international S7 Edge I bought on Amazon after I shattered my ATT S7 Edge. Man this battery life is insane. I don't know if it was the bloatware or the snapdragon or both but my battery life is probably 50% better. Plus I think this one will get the security updates quicker.
:)

Can I ask what carrier are you using in the states? How's the service been, given that not all bands correspond?

NotoriousNeo

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I never realized the toll using Google Play Music to play the music I've saved offline on to my SD card takes on the battery. The other day I was shocked when I left work with under 40% of my battery. The area where I work is awful for cell reception. No matter what phone I've had, my service constantly switches from 3G to 4G (even 1X sometimes). Most phones could barely make it past an 8-hour shift here with only the best being able to leave with around 20-30% at the end of the day (the Nexus 6P, Note 5, and Turbo being those), but in general the S7 Edge could usually be around 45-50% by the end of one with SoT of two hours. A few days ago, however, I left with under 40% which was shocking to me seeing as I had barely gotten a little over an hour of SoT. I decided to check my stats since that was the worst battery life I had ever gotten with this phone and was surprised when I saw a service I don't think I had ever seen displayed before: Media Server. That day it had used more battery life (as told by its mAh) than any other thing on my phone. Even the screen!!

Now that I've done some research, it seems this is common on Samsung models and has something to do with the phone reading an SD card. This makes sense since my entire Google Play Music library is saved to my SD card and media server only shows up when I use that app to listen to my tunes but damn, I didn't think it'd have THAT big of an impact on battery, especially since I'm not using my internet connection to stream anything, it's just on my card. Now, I'm debating whether this would happen on other phones like the HTC 10 or if it's something that has always contributed to the battery life of my phones on days where I used GPM and they were really low and I just never saw it reported.

Either way, my faith in this phones battery life has diminished a bit. At its best, I managed to get around six hours of SoT after about 15-20 hours of use, and when I'm at home on weekends hooked up to wi-fi and all that, I usually get around 4.5 to 5, the best I've ever gotten on any phone I've owned, but this whole media server thing just doesn't feel right to me. Like, I feel it's something with the software that should be fixed. But yeah, that about sums up my battery life...

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I never realized the toll using Google Play Music to play the music I've saved offline on to my SD card takes on the battery. The other day I was shocked when I left work with under 40% of my battery. The area where I work is awful for cell reception. No matter what phone I've had, my service constantly switches from 3G to 4G (even 1X sometimes). Most phones could barely make it past an 8-hour shift here with only the best being able to leave with around 20-30% at the end of the day (the Nexus 6P, Note 5, and Turbo being those), but in general the S7 Edge could usually be around 45-50% by the end of one with SoT of two hours. A few days ago, however, I left with under 40% which was shocking to me seeing as I had barely gotten a little over an hour of SoT. I decided to check my stats since that was the worst battery life I had ever gotten with this phone and was surprised when I saw a service I don't think I had ever seen displayed before: Media Server. That day it had used more battery life (as told by its mAh) than any other thing on my phone. Even the screen!!

Now that I've done some research, it seems this is common on Samsung models and has something to do with the phone reading an SD card. This makes sense since my entire Google Play Music library is saved to my SD card and media server only shows up when I use that app to listen to my tunes but damn, I didn't think it'd have THAT big of an impact on battery, especially since I'm not using my internet connection to stream anything, it's just on my card. Now, I'm debating whether this would happen on other phones like the HTC 10 or if it's something that has always contributed to the battery life of my phones on days where I used GPM and they were really low and I just never saw it reported.

Either way, my faith in this phones battery life has diminished a bit. At its best, I managed to get around six hours of SoT after about 15-20 hours of use, and when I'm at home on weekends hooked up to wi-fi and all that, I usually get around 4.5 to 5, the best I've ever gotten on any phone I've owned, but this whole media server thing just doesn't feel right to me. Like, I feel it's something with the software that should be fixed. But yeah, that about sums up my battery life...

Spotify has taken a toll to my battery life as well... I listen to it on my computer at work and had to set my phone app to offline mode because it would automatically turn it on to keep in sync with what I was playing on my PC. It was SUCKING battery and even more so when I would keep the app in online and play saved music over my car bluetooth going to and from work. One morning I unplugged the phone, drove to work (20 minutes max) while playing saved music from spotify with offline mode disabled and it had drained my battery to 90%... 10% drop in 20 minutes! I just leave me phone app in offline mode now but what sucks is it doesn't remember where I left off when I turn it back on the next day.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been struggling with android system drain which has pushed my best screen on time down to typically 4 hours max. Yesterday android system only reached 15% and I was approaching 4 and a half hours screen on still with 18% battery left. Nothing changed, no updates no app installs or deletions so I'm not sure why the difference but a good difference too see!

Today however Google play services has been destroying my battery so I've had to reboot to try and stop it. Oh well, one good day of battery was nice to have!

Posted via the Android Central App

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been struggling with android system drain which has pushed my best screen on time down to typically 4 hours max. Yesterday android system only reached 15% and I was approaching 4 and a half hours screen on still with 18% battery left. Nothing changed, no updates no app installs or deletions so I'm not sure why the difference but a good difference too see!

Today however Google play services has been destroying my battery so I've had to reboot to try and stop it. Oh well, one good day of battery was nice to have!

Exactly the same as that happened on mine. One good day and then Play Services replaced Android System as a massive drain and it's back to being rubbish.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Reboot stopped the play services drain. Android system at 15% again today. I've got 3.13 screen on time with 33% still remaining so things do seem to be a bit better!

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Took off the charger around 8, @ 100%. Because I called off sick today, I've been using my phone pretty much non stop. Surfing the web, on the forum. Researched, and shopped for a case for my phone.
FORGOT to add phone was 61%

Attachments

• 1464296008967.jpg
    1464296008967.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Nreigota

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
30bc9e7a44b628cd9d4e4cf607373ae2.jpg
964d45d1a79185226a7d5b1a1820c89f.jpg

Lance Redden

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Took off the charger around 8, @ 100%. Because I called off sick today, I've been using my phone pretty much non stop. Surfing the web, on the forum. Researched, and shopped for a case for my phone.
FORGOT to add phone was 61%

Battery graph or it didn't happen

Posted via the Android Central App on S7 Edge