RAM use 1GB

pshows

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Anyone notice that on s7 edge stutters? I looked the ram and it seems 3gb are being used when I have nothing else open.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone notice that on s7 edge stutters? I looked the ram and it seems 3gb are being used when I have nothing else open.

Zero stutter for me...and I'm REALLY sensitive to it! I cannot believe how smooth and fluid the S7 edge has been. Perhaps give it another 24 hours for everything to settle in. I feel like with the much faster processor, more RAM, more efficient Android OS (Marshmallow) and slightly lighter Touchwiz, Samsung finally got it right with a super fast, responsive phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
LOL wutttttt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Android tries to fill the RAM as much as possible so it can load stuff fast. If it has to keep loading new things into RAM it will cause more stutters. Android doesn't act the same as Windows and try to keep free RAM.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
LOL wutttttt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If applications are cached in RAM, they don't have to "load up" which is the main cause of stutter. So, ideally you want all the applications you use often to be sitting in your RAM waiting to be used.

People think that the more RAM available in Android translates to a better performing device but this false. The complete opposite is what you strive for.

This is why "RAM Cleaner" applications are bogus and should never be used.

FCSC

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Android tries to fill the RAM as much as possible so it can load stuff fast. If it has to keep loading new things into RAM it will cause more stutters. Android doesn't act the same as Windows and try to keep free RAM.

I thought that changed with win 10?

Posted via Android Central App

GBP87

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If applications are cached in RAM, they don't have to "load up" which is the main cause of stutter. So, ideally you want all the applications you use often to be sitting in your RAM waiting to be used.

People think that the more RAM available in Android translates to a better performing device but this false. The complete opposite is what you strive for.

This is why "RAM Cleaner" applications are bogus and should never be used.

Eh. So, if I reboot my device and start loading apps, I can expect stutters? I think you're confusing loading times for stutters. Stutters are frame rate drops and have nothing to do with what is in memory which I would correlate to your understanding. Unfortunately, Samsung's latest flagships (including the Note 5 I'm typing on) suffer from stuttering in the form of frame rate drops. When the OP says "stutter", I'm not interpreting it as load times.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Eh. So, if I reboot my device and start loading apps, I can expect stutters? I think you're confusing loading times for stutters. Stutters are frame rate drops and have nothing to do with what is in memory which I would correlate to your understanding. Unfortunately, Samsung's latest flagships (including the Note 5 I'm typing on) suffer from stuttering in the form of frame rate drops. When the OP says "stutter", I'm not interpreting it as load times.
I just assumed that the stuttering was caused by delays in the phone feeding information into memory because it was not already cached.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No. Stuttering on the screen. Unsmooth user experience. Whatever you want to call it. I am not up on the jargon.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
No. Stuttering on the screen. Unsmooth user experience. Whatever you want to call it. I am not up on the jargon.

I totally understand what you are describing and saw it, with great frustration, on my S6 edge. I also see it regularly on my Nexus 5x (which is now heading out in favor of my S7). That said, I haven't seen any stutter on the S7 at all. Has it eased any now that the phone is settling in with all the updates, indexing, etc.?

lsmith9523

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I think you and I are experiencing the same thing. At times, when I start to scroll on the screen, it will have a slight lag, then sort of "jerky" type motion until it catches up. There is a small amount of lag sometimes when choosing apps and when swiping left or right... If this continues, I am going to complete a Factory reset and start from scratch.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought that changed with win 10?

Posted via Android Central App

It may have but I would have to fully check -- My Windows 10 PC behaves just like it did on 7. It only uses around 1 GB on idle and doesn't start chomping up the RAM till I load up my stuff / games.