07-24-2017 02:50 AM
106 1234 ...
tools
    3 things.
    1. Running it under a faucet is a bad idea. The reason it's rated for 5ft for up to 30 minutes is because that's how much pressure it can withstand. A facuet is concentrating the water pressure and that could surpass what the phone is rated for.
    2. It's normal for the speaker to sound wonky for a few hours until the membrane dries. It has water on it so it vibrates differently. That's what you're hearing. Happened all the time with my S5.
    3. People need to chill out. If you want to use yours only for accidents, go for it. Me personally, I took my S5 swimming plenty of times, took pictures and everything. It still works to this day even though everyone in the forum had the same reaction that you guys are having. "OMG why would you do that?! That's stupid."

I've been using my S6 in the hot tub with a waterproof sleeve. I'm looking forward to not needing that anymore.
    brava27, clsdv, cbugzeee and 2 others like this.
    03-04-2016 11:18 AM
    Breaking news: Water near/on speakers causes distortion!

More to follow after the break
    03-04-2016 12:22 PM
    So I had to show off my new S7 Edge to my kids and went to the sink and ran it under water. OMG Dad ...

About an hour later I noticed the notifications sounded weird but didn't really think anything of it, thought they were just different or something. Then I was trying to watch a video and I could barely hear the sound and it was scratchy and awful, like an old, 1940's horrible recording. I tried a bunch of other sources and all sounded the same, rebooted, nothing. I begin to cry and thought, did I really just break my 6 hour old phone?

So I shut it off and put it in rice and this morning it is working fine, thank goodness! Not sure if the rice did anything or it just need to dry or what, but I gave my phone a little kiss and said sorry.

Just thought I would share my near heartbreak with you all and give hope to others if they find themselves in a similar situation.
    It's likely just the water in the speakers muffling the sound.

I have a Gear S watch that I wash occasionally with soap and water. The notification sounds are always muffled until the water dries out from the ports.
    03-04-2016 12:39 PM
    LOL @ the replies in this thread. The S7 edge is rated IP68, meaning you can keep it in 1 meter of water for a half an hour. Dunking it in water for a demonstration isn't a big deal for this phone.
    That's true. It's also true that when the speaker membrane gets wet, it will sound weird until it dries out. That's not a failure, it what happens when its wet. And not charging when there's moisture in the charging port is a design feature to protect you from shorting out your phone, not a flaw.
    03-04-2016 03:24 PM
    I like the fact that I dont have to cover up my power connector (like on my S5) when this new one goes in for a dip..
    03-04-2016 04:50 PM
    Here's the thing.

IP68 means that the device is rated for complete protection against dust (it is dustproof) and is able to be immersed in water beyond 1m (in the S7's case, it means it will be fine in water up to 5m deep, or about 16-feet of water). However, note that I said "immersed". If you look at a phone like the XPERIA Z5, it's also rated at IP65 alongside the IP68 rating. That means that it is not only rated as dustproof and water-immersion resistant. It is also resistant against water jets of a certain pressure, like a faucet. The S7 isn't rated for water jets, so placing it under a faucet isn't a good idea.

Also note that Samsung keeps mentioning "water-resistant" several times. That's different from "waterproof".

In short, it's more for accidental spills. It might be fun to show off to your friends in the washroom sink, but please don't go overboard unless you really know what you're doing. That said, it's fun to take to the pool for a second of immersion when you want those cool underwater photos. Just don't put it under a faucet.
    kramer5150 likes this.
    03-04-2016 10:37 PM
    Doesn't the new Samsung commercial feature the S7 rising out of a puddle of water? Like the first thing you see is it popping up out of the water like a slow moving whale.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom
    03-04-2016 11:20 PM
    My first thought was sitting in my hot tub and being able to use my phone's Bluetooth for music or answering a call/text...but something tells me that might not be a good idea...I'd be interested to hear how well they work around all that hot water and steam.
    03-05-2016 07:48 AM
    Doesn't the new Samsung commercial feature the S7 rising out of a puddle of water? Like the first thing you see is it popping up out of the water like a slow moving whale.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom
    Love that avatar.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    03-05-2016 11:32 PM
    I'll point out that samsung was constantly getting them wet at the mwc. So I'm betting that its ok.
    S7 Edge + Water = Damaged Speaker.  wait, what? noooooooooo-galaxy-s7-water.jpg
    Even still I don't want to push it.
    03-06-2016 02:55 AM
    I'll point out that samsung was constantly getting them wet at the mwc. So I'm betting that its ok.

Even still I don't want to push it.
    Exactly. I believe Samsung when they say it's "waterproof" meaning water resistant, but I'm not going to put my phone in the sink or shower with it just to test it. I've never dropped a phone in water or gotten water or liquid on anything electronic to this date.... except for my Gear S watch
    03-06-2016 03:03 AM
    It takes some time to dry and rice actually works in drying the ports and speakers.
    03-06-2016 03:16 AM
    There is no issue with putting it in water..... My s5 has been used in pools, lakes and oceans to take pictures under water for the last 2 years and no issues..... I retired my waterproof (up to 50 feet) olympus stylus camera after I got the s5..... just do a quick check on you tube to see the dozens of water tests done with the galaxy..... there is no reason to be cautious with it near water, I have never tried it dunked in water for an hour -- but 3-5 feet deep for 15-30 minutes frequently happened while snorkeling on many vacations the last 2 years........
    03-06-2016 03:29 AM
    Well the s5 had more protection. So in short if your phone gets wet its ok just let it dry. Just don't do it on purpose cause Samsung wont cover water damage.
    03-06-2016 05:45 AM
    Idiotest
    03-07-2016 03:27 PM
    Phone's brand new covered with warranty so use it at maximum. Take it to pools, lakes or even sea make videos take pictures, to quickly dry put it infront of blow heater or hair dryer or radiator. And if it breaks or dont work proper TAKE IT BACK TO SAMSUNG. They will happily replace it for free.
    03-08-2016 12:49 AM
    i had a xperia z1 a few years back and i used to take it snorkeling. i took so many underwater (sea water) photos and videos and it never once developed a snag.
    03-08-2016 07:45 AM
    The way the Samsung rep explained it to me is that the S7 will withstand splashes of water like from shower or rain (so would be safe on external handlebar mount on motorcycle), but pressurized water beyond what is applied at 15 feet below sea level is too much. Being as I can't swim that deep, that pressure should be no issue. But a water tap may be able to produce more psi and in a concentrated area too. So a dunk in a tub or bowl of water to display it's survivability may be cool. But I wouldn't risk a deluge by tap. Google says 15 feet of water exerts 6psi, while tap psi is between 30 and 80 psi.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    03-11-2016 07:50 AM
    Thank you so much for posting this. I did the same thing (i know im stupid) but im gonna leave the phone in rice overnight.
    03-19-2016 12:55 PM
    It'll be fine. I'm with the people that suggest not torture testing the thing. However, I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that samsung suggests rinsing with water to clean the phone.
    03-19-2016 02:15 PM
    I respect your testicular fortitude to even try that. With all the promotion and commercials regarding the water resistance of the S7 edge it's not so crazy that someone would try it. Especially to impress their kids. Glad it started working again for you.
    03-20-2016 12:15 PM
    I just spent one hour with the phone in the pool.. great fun.. super cool to be online while enjoying the warm weather .(I'm in Rio)

So yes: absolutely necessary!
    03-22-2016 04:32 PM
    Here's the thing.

IP68 means that the device is rated for complete protection against dust (it is dustproof) and is able to be immersed in water beyond 1m (in the S7's case, it means it will be fine in water up to 5m deep, or about 16-feet of water). However, note that I said "immersed". If you look at a phone like the XPERIA Z5, it's also rated at IP65 alongside the IP68 rating. That means that it is not only rated as dustproof and water-immersion resistant. It is also resistant against water jets of a certain pressure, like a faucet. The S7 isn't rated for water jets, so placing it under a faucet isn't a good idea.

Also note that Samsung keeps mentioning "water-resistant" several times. That's different from "waterproof".

In short, it's more for accidental spills. It might be fun to show off to your friends in the washroom sink, but please don't go overboard unless you really know what you're doing. That said, it's fun to take to the pool for a second of immersion when you want those cool underwater photos. Just don't put it under a faucet.
    Incorrect, it's rated up to 5 FEET depth, or about 1.5 Meters. Putting in 16 feet of water is a great way to kill your phone
    03-22-2016 06:10 PM
    To all the naysayers, I'd like to point out that one of the Samsung ads shows champagne (of all things) being poured on it. So if people are purposely pouring something on their phones, blame Samsung. Whaaaaaaat?
    03-22-2016 11:40 PM
    Swimming wth your phone:

#10 Is a great way to keep it from overheating.

#9 Anyone?
    03-23-2016 02:31 AM
106 1234 ...