07-24-2017 02:50 AM
106 12345
tools
    There are a couple of moisture detection stickers in the S7 edge. Here is a link to an article and video.
    go to zdnet.com /article/samsung-galaxy-s7-its-water-resistant-but-if-it-springs-a-leak-youre-on-your-own I can't post a link.

So it looks like if you have to return it for whatever reason, they could look at the sticker in the sd/sim slot and give you the "sorry water damage" excuse and void your warranty. Might be best not to use/test in water.

First thing an Apple genius does when you bring in a phone with issue to them. They even have little flash lights around their necks so they can check for moisture and tell you to pack sand.
    03-23-2016 10:38 AM
    Incorrect, it's rated up to 5 FEET depth, or about 1.5 Meters. Putting in 16 feet of water is a great way to kill your phone
    You're correct. I mixed up my measurement units.

Sorry about that.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    03-23-2016 09:50 PM
    My husband dunked mine in the pool for about 2 seconds and I have had the same problem with the speaker for 2 days now. Glad there's hope for it to go back to normal, I've only had this phone for 2 weeks!!
    05-03-2016 06:22 PM
    I messed up my s5 at the waterpark. It was in a lifeproof case and everything. The case still got water in and the phone must not had been sealed properly. So it wouldn't power on and when i got home 3 days later i put it in a bowl of rice and a week later, back to normal, However the charging port was damaged. I had to charge the battery externally. I upgraded to the s7 a week after it came out and I've gotten it wet many times. I shower with it on the norm, it's been in some pools, even down a little waterfall at one point. Not a problem with this phone yet, however the sticker inside is in fact pink so I'm screwed if something does happen to this phone and i try to take it to samsung. I have insurance on it from my service provider however.
    05-24-2016 04:59 PM
    Well... the forces coming from the faucet will be different than the forces that are caused from homogeneous pressure due to immersion.
    Wow hello science teacher lol
    Gab79 likes this.
    05-24-2016 08:14 PM
    The way the Samsung rep explained it to me is that the S7 will withstand splashes of water like from shower or rain (so would be safe on external handlebar mount on motorcycle), but pressurized water beyond what is applied at 15 feet below sea level is too much. Being as I can't swim that deep, that pressure should be no issue. But a water tap may be able to produce more psi and in a concentrated area too. So a dunk in a tub or bowl of water to display it's survivability may be cool. But I wouldn't risk a deluge by tap. Google says 15 feet of water exerts 6psi, while tap psi is between 30 and 80 psi.
    Tap psi?
    05-24-2016 08:23 PM
    Yes. I like to spend over $700 on a new device and then dunk it in water to show off to my friends because the internet said it was ok. Yes. That's what I like to do.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Alan Sims and tadpoles like this.
    05-24-2016 10:05 PM
    Tap psi?
    Pressure per square inch that running water from tap creates.
    love4speechless likes this.
    05-24-2016 11:23 PM
    this happened to me too. i was in the shower and my speaker started getting muffled. i put it in rice and after a while it was fine again. does anyone know the long term effects or damage that could of been caused?
    06-03-2016 04:17 PM
    It amazes me that people take the phone into a showers. The IP rating for these phones is for cold water at a specific depth.

It uses water tension to keep water from entering the holes it has to have for the openings for the mic and speakers. Hot water and steam has a different surface tension than cold water and then throw in chemicals which decrease surface tension..
    Also moving water like out of the shower head has increased pressure which could well exceed the IP rating.

Your playing Russian Rullette with the phone.
    msndrstood and tadpoles like this.
    06-04-2016 04:13 AM
    The bigger question is why in the shower? Are people so glued to their phones? Wait, Maybe they're utilizing the vibrate feature. Doh! All makes sense now. Carry on.
    06-04-2016 12:04 PM
    I had brand new s7 edge and I went for a holiday to Dubai and used it in the pool and water slide to record my videos...phone is working great...yes the speaker volume had become low but after an hour or soo it was fine...
    06-04-2016 10:48 PM
    Remember when you were a kid? You just knew that you shouldn't put your tongue on those battery terminals... but you did anyway!

Bear in mind, the S7's are water resistant and not waterproof. Big... huge, difference.

I can't wait for the post that starts, "Help! I took my S7 to the swimming pool for an hour, underwater..."
    Lol i just got out from doing that. Speakers waterlogged but it'll dry. Was taking pics and videos underwater with a friend for like 3 hours. I even broadcasted live with a lot of friends underwater
    06-14-2016 09:44 PM
    This looks like it could generate at least the same, if not a bit more pressure than water, merely falling from a faucet, onto the phone, at a relatively close distance:

06-18-2016 03:48 PM
    It amazes me that people take the phone into a showers. The IP rating for these phones is for cold water at a specific depth.
    Ummmmmm for ....... " shower selfies " ??

Granted not under a strong stream of water but hmmmm you get the picture no wink wink ??
    06-18-2016 05:05 PM
    Ummmmmm for ....... " shower selfies " ??

Granted not under a strong stream of water but hmmmm you get the picture no wink wink ??
    Hahaha.

That's why they invented the GoPro, it's not called the "Action" cam for nothing. Lol.
    06-19-2016 02:33 AM
    Thank you !!

Note to self ........ look into purchasing a GoPro

Though not for nothing ....... it's so much more convenient using one's cell since we always seem to have that on hand !?!?
    06-19-2016 08:53 AM
    Phew! So glad your phone is okay!

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-19-2016 08:58 AM
    Just bought an S7 Edge a couple days ago. Of course I couldn't resist giving it a quick dip in some tap water to test out the IP68 (otherwise I wouldn't be on this thread, of course!), and after a couple hours of not being able to charge it or use the speaker properly, it dried out and everything works just as it did before my ill-conceived experiment. So no harm done...but I would hesitate to try it again.

I was curious enough about this that I contacted both Samsung and T-Mobile about this. After some lawyer-y responses, the answer I was able to divine from them was that the water resistance use case here is accidental exposure to water. In other words, as many wise souls on this thread have said: don't go dunking this phone in the pool.
    cbreze likes this.
    06-21-2016 10:11 PM
    Water resistance isn't water proof.
    The clue is in the English.
    Resistance is exactly that, it resists it
    Its not the same as being proof, ie completely protected.

People that make this mistake are the reason batteries have a warning not to swallow.
    06-22-2016 10:49 AM
    Water resistance isn't water proof.
    The clue is in the English.
    Resistance is exactly that, it resists it
    Its not the same as being proof, ie completely protected.

People that make this mistake are the reason batteries have a warning not to swallow.
    I hear you, but I think one issue here is that in the past, Samsung has been a bit unclear with their language. For example, remember the Galaxy S4 Active? I quote from their own website:

Enjoy the freedom of being able to take your smartphone almost anywhere. An IP67 rating means the Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active is resistant to dust and moisture.

Source: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active | ATT Android Smartphone | Samsung Mobile

Now if you recall, the S4 Active was marketed specifically for people who wanted to take their phones in the pool. It even had an aqua mode for taking photos under water with one of the side buttons. Curiously, the IP rating is less protective than the IP68 given to the S7 Edge. According to the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code), a second digit of 7 refers to safe immersion up to one meter, whereas for an IP68 certified device "The test depth and/or duration is expected to be greater than the requirements for IPx7." If you look at the UK version of the Samsung page for the S4 Active, the title (i.e. the HTML title, not visible on the page itself) even says "waterproof smartphone." So we have an S7 Edge with an IP68 rating called water "resistant" and an S4 Active with an IP67 that is alternately called water resistant or waterproof, and which is marketed for use under water, not just for protection against accidental water exposure.

All of this leaves the consumer very confused; or at least it confuses this customer. Realistically, I'm pretty sure I could take my phone into non-chlorinated, non-salinated water with impunity, so long as I don't drop it or do anything else to damage the internal rubber gaskets. But since the factory warranty doesn't cover water damage, and since I'm not an avid underwater photographer, it just doesn't seem like the best idea. I suppose one could argue that taking your phone swimming is akin to taking it rock climbing or cycling: if you're careful the phone should never need to be serviced in the first place. But I would really prefer that Samsung cover water damage to this phone under their default warranty, since they market this phone as water proof/resistant/whatever.

Don't get me wrong. After four days with this phone I have zero buyer's remorse. It's the best phone I've ever owned and I'm glad for the water protection. But some clarity from Samsung on this matter would be good.
    06-22-2016 09:34 PM
    There is huge legal issues around the use of terms like waterproof especially in today's lawsuit based society.

The issue stems down to liability and educating the mainstream customer. The moment you tell someone their device is waterproof or "anything proof" for that matter you have placed all liability upon yourself in case your claims do not stand up to the test.

While the majority of customers will not expose their devices to such conditions, there will always be a select few who will take it to the extreme. There will be users who take their "waterproof" smartphone deep sea diving or wash it with a high pressure hose and then as soon as it fails which is to be expected, you, the manufacturer are liable to replace their device or face litigation for false representation and claims.

Regardless of what the ingres protection rating is, no manufacturer will be willing to take full liability and guarantee the device against any damage as a result of water and dust intrusion especially on high profile mainstream devices that sell in the millions.
    06-23-2016 02:35 AM
    If it's water proof you'd want to see if it works. I did the same with mine and it still works. There's only one ***** here and it's not action316
    06-23-2016 01:00 PM
    Yesterday I spoke with Samsung's Twitter account (which I hope is a real human), and they pointed me to this document: Is my Samsung Galaxy S7 dust- and water-resistant (IP68 rating)?

This gives me a bit more confidence in Samsung's water resistance rating.
    06-25-2016 09:55 AM
    Water probably got on the "water resistant" membrane. Once it dried then it cleared up.
    This is exactly the reason. It sounds scratchy till the phone is dried. The phone is designed to keep all openings sealed including the ports there is a membrane that keeps water oht of the speaker and microphones the port is in fact designed to sense moisture and wont charge if wet to prevent shorting out the hardware its pretty clever seeing as the current from the cable continues to flow but the charge port itself lets the electricity pass through so no damage can be done if you get a screen replacement forget about keepibg it waterproof cuz they made it so the front and back panels are secured with a special ashesive that cannot be replace by normal repair shops
    06-25-2016 09:17 PM
106 12345