S7 Edge + Water = Damaged Speaker. wait, what? noooooooooo

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I had the S5 and S6 Active and would always take it in the pool. It takes great underwater photos. I'm sure this one will do the same.

972d2721a0d9a3d59ce242b5112caad4.jpg

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Glad its all fine!

As for the dont put the water resistant device in water comments, c'mon guys, really? Samsung prides themselves on this feature the same as its other features. If they say its water resistant to a certain point, it better be. :)

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
3 things.
1. Running it under a faucet is a bad idea. The reason it's rated for 5ft for up to 30 minutes is because that's how much pressure it can withstand. A facuet is concentrating the water pressure and that could surpass what the phone is rated for.
2. It's normal for the speaker to sound wonky for a few hours until the membrane dries. It has water on it so it vibrates differently. That's what you're hearing. Happened all the time with my S5.
3. People need to chill out. If you want to use yours only for accidents, go for it. Me personally, I took my S5 swimming plenty of times, took pictures and everything. It still works to this day even though everyone in the forum had the same reaction that you guys are having. "OMG why would you do that?! That's stupid."

I've been using my S6 in the hot tub with a waterproof sleeve. I'm looking forward to not needing that anymore.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So I had to show off my new S7 Edge to my kids and went to the sink and ran it under water. OMG Dad ...

About an hour later I noticed the notifications sounded weird but didn't really think anything of it, thought they were just different or something. Then I was trying to watch a video and I could barely hear the sound and it was scratchy and awful, like an old, 1940's horrible recording. I tried a bunch of other sources and all sounded the same, rebooted, nothing. I begin to cry and thought, did I really just break my 6 hour old phone?

So I shut it off and put it in rice and this morning it is working fine, thank goodness! Not sure if the rice did anything or it just need to dry or what, but I gave my phone a little kiss and said sorry. :D

Just thought I would share my near heartbreak with you all and give hope to others if they find themselves in a similar situation.
It's likely just the water in the speakers muffling the sound.

I have a Gear S watch that I wash occasionally with soap and water. The notification sounds are always muffled until the water dries out from the ports.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
LOL @ the replies in this thread. The S7 edge is rated IP68, meaning you can keep it in 1 meter of water for a half an hour. Dunking it in water for a demonstration isn't a big deal for this phone.

That's true. It's also true that when the speaker membrane gets wet, it will sound weird until it dries out. That's not a failure, it what happens when its wet. And not charging when there's moisture in the charging port is a design feature to protect you from shorting out your phone, not a flaw.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I like the fact that I dont have to cover up my power connector (like on my S5) when this new one goes in for a dip..

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing.

IP68 means that the device is rated for complete protection against dust (it is dustproof) and is able to be immersed in water beyond 1m (in the S7's case, it means it will be fine in water up to 5m deep, or about 16-feet of water). However, note that I said "immersed". If you look at a phone like the XPERIA Z5, it's also rated at IP65 alongside the IP68 rating. That means that it is not only rated as dustproof and water-immersion resistant. It is also resistant against water jets of a certain pressure, like a faucet. The S7 isn't rated for water jets, so placing it under a faucet isn't a good idea.

Also note that Samsung keeps mentioning "water-resistant" several times. That's different from "waterproof".

In short, it's more for accidental spills. It might be fun to show off to your friends in the washroom sink, but please don't go overboard unless you really know what you're doing. That said, it's fun to take to the pool for a second of immersion when you want those cool underwater photos. Just don't put it under a faucet.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't the new Samsung commercial feature the S7 rising out of a puddle of water? Like the first thing you see is it popping up out of the water like a slow moving whale.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom

AirMech74

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My first thought was sitting in my hot tub and being able to use my phone's Bluetooth for music or answering a call/text...but something tells me that might not be a good idea...I'd be interested to hear how well they work around all that hot water and steam.

Rheller82

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I'll point out that samsung was constantly getting them wet at the mwc. So I'm betting that its ok.
Galaxy-S7-water.jpg
Even still I don't want to push it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll point out that samsung was constantly getting them wet at the mwc. So I'm betting that its ok.

Even still I don't want to push it.

Exactly. I believe Samsung when they say it's "waterproof" meaning water resistant, but I'm not going to put my phone in the sink or shower with it just to test it. I've never dropped a phone in water or gotten water or liquid on anything electronic to this date.... except for my Gear S watch

eddiechi

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
There is no issue with putting it in water..... My s5 has been used in pools, lakes and oceans to take pictures under water for the last 2 years and no issues..... I retired my waterproof (up to 50 feet) olympus stylus camera after I got the s5..... just do a quick check on you tube to see the dozens of water tests done with the galaxy..... there is no reason to be cautious with it near water, I have never tried it dunked in water for an hour -- but 3-5 feet deep for 15-30 minutes frequently happened while snorkeling on many vacations the last 2 years........

Rheller82

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Well the s5 had more protection. So in short if your phone gets wet its ok just let it dry. Just don't do it on purpose cause Samsung wont cover water damage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21