S7 Edge + Water = Damaged Speaker. wait, what? noooooooooo

action316

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So I had to show off my new S7 Edge to my kids and went to the sink and ran it under water. OMG Dad ...

About an hour later I noticed the notifications sounded weird but didn't really think anything of it, thought they were just different or something. Then I was trying to watch a video and I could barely hear the sound and it was scratchy and awful, like an old, 1940's horrible recording. I tried a bunch of other sources and all sounded the same, rebooted, nothing. I begin to cry and thought, did I really just break my 6 hour old phone?

So I shut it off and put it in rice and this morning it is working fine, thank goodness! Not sure if the rice did anything or it just need to dry or what, but I gave my phone a little kiss and said sorry. :D

Just thought I would share my near heartbreak with you all and give hope to others if they find themselves in a similar situation.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there have also been reports that if the charge port gets wet, it won't charge at all until its dry And only at normal speed until its really dry. "Waterproof" is a bit shaky for some of the components, I guess.

By the way, just because you can (i.e., waterproof) doesn't mean you should ;)

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, there have also been reports that if the charge port gets wet, it won't charge at all until its dry And only at normal speed until its really dry. "Waterproof" is a bit shaky for some of the components, I guess.

Samsung have intentionally done this with the charging port, if it has been in water and it can detect moisture it won't charge until it is dry. As a safety measure which seems pretty sensible.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Water probably got on the "water resistant" membrane. Once it dried then it cleared up.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I would never put my brand new phone in water. :-\
I consider the "Water Resistance" of the phone a safety measure if you accidentally drop it in some water or it gets wet by mistake.
I don't think it's something to take scuba diving or soak in water just for fun. At least the speaker came back to life.
Just what I think. :p

rflores5432

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This always happens to the speaker sound with my S5 after being underwater but always clears up once it's dry. I've used my S5 in water a lot. Taking pictures under water and I've even used it in the wave pool at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park to take videos of the giant waves crashes into me.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Remember when you were a kid? You just knew that you shouldn't put your tongue on those battery terminals... but you did anyway!

Bear in mind, the S7's are water resistant and not waterproof. Big... huge, difference.

I can't wait for the post that starts, "Help! I took my S7 to the swimming pool for an hour, underwater..."

SprintFun

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I read on xda that somebody took it in the shower and was complaining about the speaker not sounding good afterward. I mean wtf people?

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes this happens. This would happen to me with my s5 when I would take it on the shower or the pool. It will dry up eventually and start sounding normal after a few hours.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
LOL @ the replies in this thread. The S7 edge is rated IP68, meaning you can keep it in 1 meter of water for a half an hour. Dunking it in water for a demonstration isn't a big deal for this phone.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how people freak out over testing the advertised water resistance of the phone. I plan to take advantage of this feature to expand what was possible to do with a phone before. Taking pictures in a pool, or having it near by the hot tub on vacation and have the peace of mind a random splash wont do it in. Listening to an audiobook/music in the shower, using it in the rain, etc. if it malfunctions, well its insured and isn't the end of the world. Devices do malfunction, and fail to meet fault tolerances all the time. The only difference here is it isn't a fault covered under warranty...so there is some risk involved, but it's just a phone. People act like he tossed his newborn baby into the pacific to test the theory that new borns are good swimmers. Relax.

The speaker sounding weird makes perfect sense. Think about it. It is a vibrating membrane that has water droplets on it. It'll be fine when it dries off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Everyone just relax. There is no harm in people testing the device as advertised. As some said they may want to snap a pic underwater in a pool -- or as said above have it near one and not worry. If Samsung advertises it and you read the fine print (as in don't take it too far under what they specify) then it should hold up. No reason to call someone "Stupid" or down-play them simply because you don't want to do that with your device;

cwoms167

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
This feature is great for if its raining like at a sporting event or amusement park or if you accidentally drop the phone in water. Not to purposely be dunked

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have always viewed the water resistance feature as another layer of defense against accidents, not something to test.

MuchoAloha

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

It's not waterproof nor has Sammy said so. Water Resistant. I think it's just a peace of mind, but if people are sticking their phones in the water on purpose then that's another thing to worry about.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not waterproof nor has Sammy said so. Water Resistant. I think it's just a peace of mind, but if people are sticking their phones in the water on purpose then that's another thing to worry about.

You're correct. Water Resistant up to 5 feet (see below).

Link: Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge | Samsung US

The little "1" next to the rating says this below in the details.

1 - Water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes.

Attachments

• s7.png
    s7.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 286

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

What's the difference between accidentally dropping the phone in the water or purposely doing it? Either way, it'll get wet and it'll survive. Everyone needs to chill out.