The Galaxy S7/Edge doesn't have Doze?

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
So it looks like the phone is using Samsung's "app optimization" feature which hibernates apps after they havent been used for 3 days, but I don't see Doze anywhere. Likewise, Gsam reported 0% Doze when I left it off the charger over night.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like the phone is using Samsung's "app optimization" feature which hibernates apps after they havent been used for 3 days, but I don't see Doze anywhere. Likewise, Gsam reported 0% Doze when I left it off the charger over night.

"App optimization" is really just clean master. That being said, I haven't shut if off on the Note 5 and haven't noticed any adverse affects.

GSAM not showing Doze could be a few things. 1) Doze is just not there, which would be disappointing. 2) Samsung changed something and GSAM doesn't recognize Doze correctly 3) something else entirely that I can't think off.

I'm not sure why Samsung would disable Doze. In my experience it works well and doesn't have any real issues.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have "Always On" set to on? This could maybe be preventing Doze from activating.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Always on display is, on. I'll cut it off now and test. But, if it did have Doze, wouldn't it need a managment pane in settings to black list apps you dont want to doze? The S7 doesn't have that.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Always On running? That might interfere with Doze firing.

Still, troubling. I didn't see any of the tell-tale plateaus in some of the battery graphs posted so far. That would be a rather big issue, to be honest. Doze was one of the big 6.0 features, one Google was very proud of, and from what I've read, adamant that OEMs not break when they coded their own Android forks.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Always on display is, on. I'll cut it off now and test. But, if it did have Doze, wouldn't it need a managment pane in settings to black list apps you dont want to doze? The S7 doesn't have that.

It's lumped in the "Battery Optimization" window on my 6P (accessed bia three dot menu in the Battery in Settings), Doze isn't specifically called out.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
According to early reports about Doze there were 2 things that I think are key here:

1-) Google clearly prohibited all OEMs to alter the Doze feature, at all.
2-) Doze only works when all sensors are not activated, it has been sleeping and the screen is off.

So if the above is true then I highly doubt Samsung removed Doze or changed it plus Doze won't activate with the "Always On Display" in use.

Check this Android central article from way back. Inside Marshmallow: What is Doze, how do I use it and what does it do? | Android Central

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try using Greenify instead if Dose isn't working? It's supposed to offer the same function (before Android M was released)

If it can be duplicated, even closely, by a third party app isn't really the point. I doubt it would work as well without root anyway if Samsung has mucked around with it.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It's lumped in the "Battery Optimization" window on my 6P (accessed bia three dot menu in the Battery in Settings), Doze isn't specifically called out.

Ah okay, now that is in there. Furthermore, GSAM started reporting Doze right away when always on display was turned off. Crisis adverted, however there may be an issue with always on display.

ZeneticX

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Ah okay, now that is in there. Furthermore, GSAM started reporting Doze right away when always on display was turned off. Crisis adverted, however there may be an issue with always on display.

now we need someone to do a battery life comparison between Always On enabled and disabled. To me Always On was one good feature and if given a choice I would choose to leave it on

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To put this into perspective - and we're talking idle drain here - the difference between "Doze on/Always On off" and "Always On on/Doze off" probably works out to a difference of 1% total an hour. Doze will bring idle load to 0.5% an hour or less, and people say A-O is 1 to 1.5%.

Now, for the most part, with general usage (not trying to dominate in Asphalt 8), I suspect the S7/Edge will be in the low/mid teens for active, screen on battery loads... 13% per hour... give or take.

So in that context, over the course of a day, Always On might cost you one to two hours of screen time.... depending on how much you log on the thing.

Cory S

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I don't think it is the always on display causing my device to not doze. at least, it's not the only thing. Looks like the initial doze session I got was never repeated. After a little research I've found bluetooth has been known to keep the 6P from dozing, which would make sense being I have an android wear watch.

here is an overview of my phones sleep status.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SmpuY0tCbnBKVVJkX3lTbHRhM2NZdld0UFhGcHVn

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
So if I've read this correctly, it seems that using Always on display, and or bluetooth, The very popular Doze feature will not engage. Please tell me I've missed something!

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's not yet clear that AOD prevents doze from working. And BT, by itself, probably doesn't. But if you're connected to a smartwatch, and that watch is constantly in communication with the phone, that may very well prevent doze from working. Doze is supposed to shut things off when the phone isn't active. A smartwatch could keep the phone in an active state.

Let's not jump to conclusions and panic until we have more data.