Discouraging (S7 (S820) vs 6s speed test)

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Discouraging

Same here...have the 6sPlus, the Note 5, 950xl. All are good phones. Each has highlights and low lights. If you're discouraged over a few milliseconds, there is no help for ya. This too shall pass...

So I have a galaxy S6 and and iPhone 6s Plus. They are both great devices. I can tell you in day to day usage, my S6 is faster to load apps nearly every time. I don't have awesome reception at my job and my iPhone takes ages to open apps there. My S6 has no trouble even in extended network. The point is, you have to take videos like this with a grain of salt. If you like either of those phones, then just get one and don't worry about it. This video is splitting hairs.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

You guys are right. When I consider things I can do on android ios doesn't stand a chance. But, I still think part is the problem here might be Qualcomm (just thinking). Unless the problem still persists why a cooling tank? . If A9 chip is powerful why doesn't it have cooling tank. Looks like there is still a lot of catch up to do wrt chip design. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via the Android Central App

It isn't so much that there's a problem with Qualcomm (except for the 810 fiasco), it's just that Apple has become so good at mobile chip design. The A9 is an extremely well designed, efficient chip. Even Samsung with its Exynos hasn't been able to keep up with Apple.

It's kind of like comparing Intel to AMD in the desktop/laptop CPU space. Intel has been able to to design powerful, efficient, and cool CPUs while AMD has struggled to keep up even though their processors are more than capable.

That said, the 820 is looking like a huge improvement over the 810 and doesn't appear to have the same issues with heat or throttling.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Sure, the iPhone may perform great, but the OS is horrendous when it comes to what you want to do with it. Before anyone says anything, I'm currently using an iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver (only until my S7 edge comes in!). I hate it. I can't do any customizing with it (except the wallpaper--whoop-dee-doo). There's no app drawer to hide the apps I'll never use so I have them all on my homescreen in a folder(?) marked "extras". There's no way to uninstall or disable these apps, either. There are no widgets on the iPhone either, which I really hate. Another gripe I have with the iPhone is that the wifi speeds seem to be slow. It takes longer to open up web pages than it did on my S6 active.

I'm looking forward to dumping this brick later this week. I'm so over Apple.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Sure, the iPhone may perform great, but the OS is horrendous when it comes to what you want to do with it. Before anyone says anything, I'm currently using an iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver (only until my S7 edge comes in!). I hate it. I can't do any customizing with it (except the wallpaper--whoop-dee-doo). There's no app drawer to hide the apps I'll never use so I have them all on my homescreen in a folder(?) marked "extras". There's no way to uninstall or disable these apps, either. There are no widgets on the iPhone either, which I really hate. Another gripe I have with the iPhone is that the wifi speeds seem to be slow. It takes longer to open up web pages than it did on my S6 active.

I'm looking forward to dumping this brick later this week. I'm so over Apple.

Agree. I have the 6s Plus as well and looking forward to getting back to Android. I have to say, though, I've been pretty impressed with it - it really is blazing fast and the battery life is far better than anything I've experienced on Android. Unfortunately, the limitations of iOS are just too much for me.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Agree. I have the 6s Plus as well and looking forward to getting back to Android. I have to say, though, I've been pretty impressed with it - it really is blazing fast and the battery life is far better than anything I've experienced on Android. Unfortunately, the limitations of iOS are just too much for me.

Yeah, the battery life has been amazing. But that's the only thing I like about the iPhone. I hate everything else about it.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site

It isn't so much that there's a problem with Qualcomm (except for the 810 fiasco), it's just that Apple has become so good at mobile chip design. The A9 is an extremely well designed, efficient chip. Even Samsung with its Exynos hasn't been able to keep up with Apple.

It's kind of like comparing Intel to AMD in the desktop/laptop CPU space. Intel has been able to to design powerful, efficient, and cool CPUs while AMD has struggled to keep up even though their processors are more than capable.

That said, the 820 is looking like a huge improvement over the 810 and doesn't appear to have the same issues with heat or throttling.

AMD back in its Athlon XP days was beastly. Let's just hope Samsung follows in the footsteps of Intel. AMD thrashed Intel all day long back in those days but brute strength + optimization by Intel put AMD in its place.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
You know what boots up faster than BOTH of these phones? My Nokia 3310.

These comparisons are always pointless because they're comparing oranges and apples. It also doesn't help that the orange here was messed with before hand by a carrier.
Don't put any attention to these "comparisons". All they want is your view, nothing else ;)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

This is my experience with my 6s Plus too. iOS is the problem. It's a dumb smartphone. I'm excited to get back to something I can make work for me. Not how Zombie Steve Jobs says it should work for me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

But, I still think part is the problem here might be Qualcomm (just thinking).

The 820, so far, has shown excellent performance under heavy, extended loads. It's a really good chip. The 810 (which got a raw deal, anyhow) was designed to bridge the gap while they transitioned their own designs from 32bit (Krait) to 64bit (Kryo).

Samsung's a bit heavy when it comes to their OS. It may have lost a few pounds, but it's still dragging a lot of mass with it. Sites are doing tests now and they are still finding that the S7, in those light duty, day to day tasks, drops frames and stutters more than the less powerful 6P. It's a much more powerful chip, that's obvious, but Samsung is never going to be lean and mean.

But even then... No need to be alarmed, concerned, disappointed, disgruntled, dejected, vexed or annoyed.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wanna know why the iPhone is faster?

- More optimized software due to the closed-source nature of iOS
- NVMe-based flash storage
- Lower-res display meaning that the hardware doesn't have to work as hard

And really, people. If we take those 2 phones apart from each other and just use it like you normally would, will you even care which is faster? These phones are pretty quick in daily use and I seriously doubt an app opening for half-a-second later than another phone will make yours feel like a tortoise by comparison. Like I have an iPad Pro, an LG G4 and a seriously overclocked HTC One M7 running on a GPe ROM (1.73GHz --> 2.16GHz). Yes, the iPad is the chart-topper, especially in benchmarks, and it beats the other 2 when you place them side-by-side.

But when you separate them and use each of them like you normally would, will you even notice the difference? Like, I know both my G4 and M7 are slower than my iPad. Do I feel that in daily use? No. They're still pretty darn fast for daily usage and we really need to stop comparing apples to oranges. Remember, the S7 and 6S use different ecosystems and both have a different approach when it comes to software.

Oh, and that S7 is likely using pre-release software. The phone hasn't been officially launched yet. I could be wrong though, as it's performing pretty darn well, especially the much-improved memory management.

So guys. Don't judge a phone solely based on how quickly it launches apps and does tasks in comparison to another phone, especially one from a different ecosystem.

Last edited:

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
The s7 doesn't use any pre-release software. I don't know where all these pre-release software points come from.

The software running on these phones is the final market software. The software has been ready for like ages. They can't even ship the phone with prerelease software if they want to have googles certification.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The s7 doesn't use any pre-release software. I don't know where all these pre-release software points come from.

The software running on these phones is the final market software. The software has been ready for like ages. They can't even ship the phone with prerelease software if they want to have googles certification.

Really? Because I know some of last year's phones ran pre-release software before they were officially released. Pre-release as in almost ready, just a little unpolished. Maybe I was wrong all this while?

Regardless of whatever piece of software it's running on, it's still a snappy phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. as far as pre-release and full release goes... We often see phones pop up at their announcements with versions of software that aren't final. But not always. For instance, the S7 was announced at MWC and plenty of demo units were given out. Now, Samsung was looking to get the phones out the door not long after MWC ended, so the software version on those demo units was most likely the same as those that people got when they got their retail units. Oh, there will be updates, there are ALWAYS updates that get pushed not long after launch... the world is our beta... :)

But sometimes the phones are announced and demo units given out that predate the release date by several weeks, if not months. OEMs are patching the builds up until the minute they start final production (and often continue long after). So if you are at a press event and holding a phone that hasn't been prepped for final shipment, it's almost certainly running pre-release software. Trust me on that... being in software for longer than I'll admit, we'll build and patch until the truck comes up to the loading dock, so to speak.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well.. as far as pre-release and full release goes... We often see phones pop up at their announcements with versions of software that aren't final. But not always. For instance, the S7 was announced at MWC and plenty of demo units were given out. Now, Samsung was looking to get the phones out the door not long after MWC ended, so the software version on those demo units was most likely the same as those that people got when they got their retail units. Oh, there will be updates, there are ALWAYS updates that get pushed not long after launch... the world is our beta... :)

But sometimes the phones are announced and demo units given out that predate the release date by several weeks, if not months. OEMs are patching the builds up until the minute they start final production (and often continue long after). So if you are at a press event and holding a phone that hasn't been prepped for final shipment, it's almost certainly running pre-release software. Trust me on that... being in software for longer than I'll admit, we'll build and patch until the truck comes up to the loading dock, so to speak.

Thanks for the clarification!

That's actually pretty nicely said.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site

Apple has always optimized the living hell out of their software. You're comparing apples to oranges here. Kind of like comparing a SUV to a station wagon. Seems similar on paper but it's up to the user to determine what they really need. Sure they're both cars, but are optimized for different applications.

I have both phones and they have their own strengths. Watching videos on the Sammy though... inky blacks and popping colors galore.

Who are you trying to fool here? This is a PHONE vs. PHONE comparison. It IS apples to apples. The appropriate metaphor for this comparison would be a Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry. Two different cars, but both targeted towards the same market to serve the same purpose. These are both phones intended to be used for making calls and opening and using apps. I don't see how comparing the latest iPhone to the latest Galaxy isn't valid. And this goes for everyone else on here saying the same thing.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Hehe. The s7 (and Android in general) is way more feature packed and tweak able out of the box than Apple. All that stuff does come with the extra cost that it boots slower because it has to load so much stuff.

Not just that, but many of those Apple apps come with fewer features than this found in many Android apps. Take SwiftKey, for example. There are a great many features the Android version has that just don't come on iOS. Strip a lot of meat out of an app, there are fewer things that need assimilation.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Throw a QHD display and an operating system that isn't a glorified app drawer on the iPhone and see if it fares better in that comparison. I don't mind iOS or the iPhone, but these comparisons always amuse me. They're both really fast devices. Let's leave it at that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci