Discouraging (S7 (S820) vs 6s speed test)

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Discouraging

Who are you trying to fool here? This is a PHONE vs. PHONE comparison. It IS apples to apples. The appropriate metaphor for this comparison would be a Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry. Two different cars, but both targeted towards the same market to serve the same purpose. These are both phones intended to be used for making calls and opening and using apps. I don't see how comparing the latest iPhone to the latest Galaxy isn't valid. And this goes for everyone else on here saying the same thing.

You trying to tell me a SUV and a station wagon aren't both automobiles? iPhones and Androids are two different eco systems. Yes they both provide a smartphone in the end but have different ways of bringing it to the end user. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Now if Google controlled hardware and software, in addition to completely locking their OS like Apple does, then yes, we do have an apples to apples comparison. You're not going to compare a BMW 535i to a Toyota Land Cruiser and complain about how economical the Toyota feels compared to the BMW. Or talk about the monstrous ground clearance you get in the Toyota and how you scrape going over a speed bump in the BMW.

They're both excellent phones in their own ways.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Who are you trying to fool here? This is a PHONE vs. PHONE comparison. It IS apples to apples. The appropriate metaphor for this comparison would be a Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry. Two different cars, but both targeted towards the same market to serve the same purpose. These are both phones intended to be used for making calls and opening and using apps. I don't see how comparing the latest iPhone to the latest Galaxy isn't valid. And this goes for everyone else on here saying the same thing.
I have to respectfully disagree.

To me and a lot of people here, it's like comparing an apple to an orange. They're both fruits, but they're different fruits. Same applies here. They're both smartphones but they're different animals. One runs iOS and has its own ecosystem. The other runs a skinned version of Android, with its own ecosystem. Both accomplish the basics, but differ a lot in other areas, such as hardware and software.

Now, if we decide to compare a Galaxy S7 with the S6 or even the LG G5, then we're comparing apples to apples, since they both run a skinned version of Android with a lot of the same features and identical hardware.

That said, the iPhone has usually been the real-world speed benchmark, so it's not uncommon to see tests comparing other phones with it to see how they stack up. One isn't necessarily better than the other as pretty much every flagship out there is speedy, so the decision ultimately boils down to usage pattern and personal preference.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Glad to soon that they fixed the RAM management on the Galaxy. The S6 RAM management is just abysmal. I'll definitely be upgrading ASAP.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with Dan, these are both smartphones, and people buy them to accomplish the same basic tasks.

HOWEVER, there's a whole lot more to what makes one a better phone than a small difference in speed of opening or switching between tasks. I would argue that's really a pretty minor factor when compared to all the functional differences between the phones. I think it's a very worthwhile tradeoff to give up a second of load speed in trade for the far greater feature set and functionality of Android. Those things make a far greater difference in my productivity than the tiny speed advantage of the iPhone.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I love the widgets and customization possible with the Android platform. Yeah I'm forced to use an Apple for my work phone because all my designers use Macs and it's just easier that way, but I'm always reaching for my Sammy when I need to do things. It's customized just the way I like it so it's like slipping into an old pair of sweats. Comforting.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I have to respectfully disagree.

To me and a lot of people here, it's like comparing an apple to an orange. They're both fruits, but they're different fruits. Same applies here. They're both smartphones but they're different animals. One runs iOS and has its own ecosystem. The other runs a skinned version of Android, with its own ecosystem. Both accomplish the basics, but differ a lot in other areas, such as hardware and software.

Now, if we decide to compare a Galaxy S7 with the S6 or even the LG G5, then we're comparing apples to apples, since they both run a skinned version of Android with a lot of the same features and identical hardware.

That said, the iPhone has usually been the real-world speed benchmark, so it's not uncommon to see tests comparing other phones with it to see how they stack up. One isn't necessarily better than the other as pretty much every flagship out there is speedy, so the decision ultimately boils down to usage pattern and personal preference.
But you have to realize that people in real life (not phone nerds that spend time on forums) DO compare the two side by side. I've seen it many times in carrier stores, people weighing the pros and cons of iPhone vs whatever other flagship device. Sometimes the ecosystem keeps them locked in, i.e. "I've spent a lot of money in the app store" and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's a particular feature that draws one person to a particular device.

For the S7 it isn't going to be RAM management, sorry. :) It's going to be the big battery, or the gimmicky curved display (I don't think it's gimmicky, but "regulars" do), or the really fast camera that draws people away from the iPhone in side-by-side comparisons. Like it or not, the iPhone is the everyman benchmark device. The question is always "but is it better than iPhone" when talking about any particular feature.

Do not underestimate the draw of "it just works" and "look how simple that is" to the average person.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with Dan, these are both smartphones, and people buy them to accomplish the same basic tasks.

HOWEVER, there's a whole lot more to what makes one a better phone than a small difference in speed of opening or switching between tasks. I would argue that's really a pretty minor factor when compared to all the functional differences between the phones. I think it's a very worthwhile tradeoff to give up a second of load speed in trade for the far greater feature set and functionality of Android. Those things make a far greater difference in my productivity than the tiny speed advantage of the iPhone.
I agree.

I don't buy a phone solely based on its speed. I buy one for its feature set, functionality and other important stuff, while also taking into account speed. I don't need the world's fastest phone, but at the same time, I need it to be as fast as possible.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The S7e screen looked 100x better!! The crapple phone looked dull!! lol
The iPhone has a nice screen, albeit lower res, but I think the largest issue here is the small size of it. The S7 screen is much larger and in an almost sane sized form factor.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

But you have to realize that people in real life (not phone nerds that spend time on forums) DO compare the two side by side. I've seen it many times in carrier stores, people weighing the pros and cons of iPhone vs whatever other flagship device. Sometimes the ecosystem keeps them locked in, i.e. "I've spent a lot of money in the app store" and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's a particular feature that draws one person to a particular device.

For the S7 it isn't going to be RAM management, sorry. :) It's going to be the big battery, or the gimmicky curved display (I don't think it's gimmicky, but "regulars" do), or the really fast camera that draws people away from the iPhone in side-by-side comparisons. Like it or not, the iPhone is the everyman benchmark device. The question is always "but is it better than iPhone" when talking about any particular feature.

Do not underestimate the draw of "it just works" and "look how simple that is" to the average person.
Yeah, it's not rare to see lots of people comparing any phone to an iPhone. It's kinda like THE benchmark device to compare others to

Which I actually don't mind. It's a pretty nice all-rounder, although I still prefer the open-nature and general choice of Android, which is why you won't see me using an iPhone any time soon (though I use iPads)