ok google doesnt turn the phone on??!!

hevenz1

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
im coming from the nexus 6 (ive already installed google launcher---- ok google would turn on the phone--awesome while driving because i can start a song on spotify. ive dug through the settings any im not seeing it--i read the s6 didnt have it at first?? this really sucks if i cant get it to turn on! help!

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
No. The phone can't turn on with ok Google unless it's plugged in or screen on

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mod note : there's no need to chastise anyone for using different sites. I cleaned things up a bit, so please keep it in topic.

As for the OP's question, not every phone has the always listening features for that command... There are hardware and software licensing issues in play, so it's not just a matter of not allowing the feature.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Settings --> System (tab) --> Language and Input --> Google voice typing --> "OK Google" detection

This will allow you to simply say "OK Google" from any screen - including the lock screen.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you have it plugged into charger it may work from screen off. I haven't tried since not near charger. Plug charger into it in car would be an option. There is also a toggle for hands free in the menu mentioned above but you have to be connected via bluetooth for it to work. I'll give that a try too when I go somewhere. Or maybe someone will report back if they try sooner.

Bryant Laney

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Go to the Google App and then go to setting settings click "OK Google detection" it's the 3rd option on that screen for screen unlock with Google now.

Posted via the Android Central App