Can't delete photos from SD card using Google Photos?

greggov

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Using a Galaxy S7 edge on T-Mobile, when I try to delete a photo from the SD card I get an error saying "cant delete item. Photos doesn't have access to delete items on your SD card. Go to the Gallery app to continue deleting."

I've been poking around in all the settings and can't seem to find anything. I thought one of the recent Photos updates addressed using SD cards? Photos has all permissions granted as far as I can tell.

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Using a Galaxy S7 edge on T-Mobile, when I try to delete a photo from the SD card I get an error saying "cant delete item. Photos doesn't have access to delete items on your SD card. Go to the Gallery app to continue deleting."

I've been poking around in all the settings and can't seem to find anything. I thought one of the recent Photos updates addressed using SD cards? Photos has all permissions granted as far as I can tell.
Try moving the app to the SD card. Maybe that will give you deletion powers.

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Same issue on LG G4. Sooooo annoying. Just ordered S7 was hoping this would not be the case but obviously is. Not got this phone yet and thinking of returning it!

Posted via the Android Central App

greggov

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Same issue on LG G4. Sooooo annoying. Just ordered S7 was hoping this would not be the case but obviously is. Not got this phone yet and thinking of returning it!

Definitely annoying. I'm hoping it's just a bug that gets fixed soon. I'm coming from a Note 5, and so far I love this device. This is really the only problem I've found so far. Would have loved though if they had 64GB, etc available.

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Returning it because you can't delete photos on Google photos? Everyone is so damn dramatic.

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Returning it because you can't delete photos on Google photos? Everyone is so damn dramatic.

OK google detection is annoying and if it has lag heating up issues. At these prices I don't see anything wrong with wanting it spot on

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Let me make a suggestion. Go to the Gallery app to continue deleting.

No really. This is how the google photos app always works. It doesn't matter what phone you have. May I ask: why do you care?

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I noticed also.
Not the end of the world. Let's just report this to Google and Samsung and I'm sure they'll fix it. Maybe just a app update.

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Do you want to know why I do care?
Because I cant stream into Chromecast my photos (and erase if I don´t like) from galley
Only from google photos i can stream to Chromecast
so it si vERY stupid that Google Photos can see, but cant erase......
One would hope for a better relation between google products.........or thats the reason some other OS have so many fans

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thus is a known bug that's been around in photos for a long time now. My suggestion would be to start saving pics to internal storage and deleting them after they're backed up (photos has an option in the settings they will do this for you.)

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

No really. This is how the google photos app always works. It doesn't matter what phone you have. May I ask: why do you care?

No, it isn't, could delete from Google photos on my HTC m8. It is a bit annoying, but fast from a deal breaker, and the Samsung gallery app isn't bad.

They could fix it if they wanted to though

koves

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Thus is a known bug that's been around in photos for a long time now. My suggestion would be to start saving pics to internal storage and deleting them after they're backed up (photos has an option in the settings they will do this for you.)

This ^^^^

Mirest

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I had this same annoyance with my LG G4 as well. It started after the marshmallow update. Not sure if it is directly linked to it or not though.

Hoping it is addressed with some type of update. It does get annoying as I have multiple devices syncing with Google photos for back up and I do not want to go to each device separately to delete pictures.

Alternatively you can delete pictures using your computer, through the photos Web UI.

Dave Quinn

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Here you are very much mistaken - I've been using Google photos for the last year and a half on a HTC One and on a Huawei P8 and was able to delete photos from the sd-card within Photos app simply by clicking the delete button (it used to come with a warning saying that all copies would be deleted, i.e. on Drive and on local/external storage). I recently (last week) bought a new Samsung galaxy and was surprised to find that for some reason, Google has decided to limit the Photos app to only being able to delete photos from internal storage.

It worked fine before - an 'update' seems to have deliberately broken his function and Google has been absolutely silent on the matter despite hundreds of e-mails and requests.

An update is not really an update if it results in an incapacitated app that has even less functions than before.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone tried reformatting the SD card to see if that fixes the issue.. i thought i read somewhere about a certain re-format option that fixed it for some in the past?