08-21-2017 06:32 PM
40 12
tools
    I don't know if there are any IR TV apps that use it, but the IR on the front of the S7 Edge that is used for turning the screen on when you wave your hand over it (accessible setting) can reach your TV. I have an IR repeater on my bedroom TV that flashes a blue LED whenever it receives an IR signal (yes, it is really annoying, but my cable box and DVD player are in the closet) and I noticed that when I faced my phone (with the accessible setting turned on) towards the TV, the repeater's light blinked rapidly. (This is how I discovered that the phone's IR beam continues to be on from this setting even when I screen is on, which is ridiculously unnecessary. Turn the setting off and no more blinking light on my repeater.) It works from at least twelve feet away (the farthest the bedroom layouts allow me to try).
    06-18-2016 03:32 AM
    It would be great if they did. I would absolutely by a s7e TODAY if this issue had been addressed and conquered without root.
    06-18-2016 08:17 AM
    08-23-2016 09:00 PM
    Has anyone here successfully used a remote control app on their edge 7?

I previously had a galaxy 5, and used the peelsmart remote app, and never had any issues.

Today i downloaded that same app and tried setting it up with both my living room and game room tvs and it didnt work at all. I went through the setup with like 20 attempts each with no results

Is this phone not enabled for that feature, or is that app just messed up??
    08-27-2016 06:37 AM
    I am totally tech illiterate, so I feel better seeing that other people are having the same problem! I used that peel app & one for my ac all the time! So, is the concensus that you buy an ir blaster to add? Where &how do you add to the phone? This would have been a deal breaker for me if I'd known before I got the phone!
    Fee Bee likes this.
    08-27-2016 06:47 AM
    I bought one (headphone jack ir port) and it was a bit of a pain to get it working (mainly from a complete lack of documentation) but it works. The range maxes out at only 7-8 ft but for me that is good enough.
    08-28-2016 02:19 AM
    The reason they took it away was to bring back the SD card expansion slot because people were complaining that they didn't have enough memory. They weren't able to fit both an IR blaster and a memory slot so they had to choose one.
    That's sort of BS because the S5 had both. They just needed to put the SD/SIM slot on the side instead of the top. I'm guessing they will bring it back soon and act like it's a new feature like they did with the SD card. I was kind of annoyed that they removed the IR blaster but honestly, I haven't really missed it much. It was more of a wow factor than something I actually used.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    08-28-2016 09:57 AM
    LOOL I was thinking the same thing
    08-30-2016 08:48 PM
    Has anyone here successfully used a remote control app on their edge 7?

I previously had a galaxy 5, and used the peelsmart remote app, and never had any issues.

Today i downloaded that same app and tried setting it up with both my living room and game room tvs and it didnt work at all. I went through the setup with like 20 attempts each with no results

Is this phone not enabled for that feature, or is that app just messed up??
    How did you use this on the Note 5? Do you mean the Note 4?
    08-30-2016 09:26 PM
    That's sort of BS because the S5 had both. They just needed to put the SD/SIM slot on the side instead of the top. I'm guessing they will bring it back soon and act like it's a new feature like they did with the SD card. I was kind of annoyed that they removed the IR blaster but honestly, I haven't really missed it much. It was more of a wow factor than something I actually used.
    They took it away on the Note 5 and it didn't have an SD card.
    08-30-2016 09:30 PM
    They weren't able to fit both an IR blaster and a memory slot so they had to choose one.
    But LG was? Both the G3 and G4 had expandable memory AND IR. The S7 is highly water resistant which means more of the phone is sealed. The phone is also pretty thin. I would think those two features play more of a factor.
    10-10-2016 06:08 PM
    The S5 is thicker, and has a smaller battery. From the tear down on iFixit, looks pretty much packed.
    10-10-2016 06:40 PM
    Regardibg the IR blaster i must admit it is hard to miss something I have never previously had. On the contrary I thought it was pretty neat that I could download an app that would control my Sony TV system over the WiFi in the house. It is far better for me to check the TV through the phone rather than disturb the main screen, and the phone app. Scrolls through things miles quicker than the TV ever does. Maybe an IR blaster would be good, but the WiFi link is pretty neat as an alternative IMO
    10-11-2016 04:04 AM
    I know "first world problems", but I'm sad. I've spent the last 1/2 hour trying to find a app that would work for my tv and air conditioner. Peel didn't work on my RCA tv with my S6, but it did for my air conditioner and I felt like I had arrived! Now to learn my phone is the problem, I reduced to being a "stand up and do it yourself" person again. I had hoped the Peel upgrade would expand my room to control my fan/lights too, my tech savvy world has been snuffed.
    04-05-2017 09:31 PM
    I just DLed Sure remote, it works ok. And for $4.99 a year I can have ad-free across my Samsung devices. Gave my S5 to hubby, he still has Peelsmart on his for all the other TVs out there. We don't travel. I guess we shall be happy with waterproof and expandable SD on both and only 1 with IRB. Just don't understand why I not to enough room this go around, when it worked before...*shrugs...
    08-21-2017 06:32 PM
40 12