Rooting S7 Edge ADVICE NEEDED

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've never rooted my samsung devices before so I'm asking for some advice.

I'd like to free up the RAM as I have seen that only 1.6gb of the 4gb on device are available with no apps running.

The storage free up doesn't bother me as I will be putting and 128gb memory card into it but I WOULD like it to add that card to phone memory, which touchwiz prevents.

I have read that knox and samsung pay won't work if the device is rooted. Is this true?

Will the gear VR still work if I root the device?

I read somewhere that it is impossible to restore the device to factory settings once rooted. Is this true? I just wonder if it's worth doing if I can't use samsung pay, knox or the gear VR?!

Posted via the Android Central App

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never rooted my samsung devices before so I'm asking for some advice.

I'd like to free up the RAM as I have seen that only 1.6gb of the 4gb on device are available with no apps running.

The storage free up doesn't bother me as I will be putting and 128gb memory card into it but I WOULD like it to add that card to phone memory, which touchwiz prevents.

I have read that knox and samsung pay won't work if the device is rooted. Is this true?

Will the gear VR still work if I root the device?

I read somewhere that it is impossible to restore the device to factory settings once rooted. Is this true? I just wonder if it's worth doing if I can't use samsung pay, knox or the gear VR?!

Samsung Pay won't work on Rooted devices.

To free up ram & remove bloatware, you can use Package Disabler Pro from the Play Store.

ajp8806

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Also once rooted you blow the e fuse, which lets Samsung and others know the device has been tampered with. Not sure if they put this in the s7, but it's in my note 4 that I rooted on the first day.

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for this. Have you used it before? I can't see from the notes on the app if I have to factory reset.

If I used this on my s5 now by paying for it will I be able to use it on the s7 without paying again? Sorry to be a pain by asking noob questions.

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Ajp8806: thank you for that info. I was wondering from reading ages ago How they would know to void the warranty.

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Just done some reading on eFuses. I won't be rooting the device at all. Even just to keep fingerprint unlock is a good enough reason alone for me. Package disabler all the way me thinks 😃

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my one month old Note 5. The problem with Lollipop and most likely Marshmallow is that it is harder to root so pretty much the only way to root is to load a custom kernel onto the phone. Once that is done, all you have to do is instal SuperSU and do whatever else you want. I even tried a few different ROMs, one of them had all the bloat removed.

I ended up restoring back to the stock firmware because with all the root methods I tried (ROMs had root baked in), all of them were not stable. My phone would reboot at random times and especially when I would be in the middle of a phone call.

I was mostly rooting my phones to block ads systemwide including in apps. Don't need to root to do that as there are apps that can do this without root.

I will not be rooting my S7 Edge after the experience I had with my Note 5.

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I just installed package disabler pro on my s5 and the ram jumped from 708mb to 828mb free. But doesn't seem much faster. I'm sure this won't be the case with the s7 edge as even running bloat ware and full touchWiz it has twice this so should be a lovely handset within a few clicks of a button in the app 😃

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I rooted my one month old Note 5. The problem with Lollipop and most likely Marshmallow is that it is harder to root so pretty much the only way to root is to load a custom kernel onto the phone. Once that is done, all you have to do is instal SuperSU and do whatever else you want. I even tried a few different ROMs, one of them had all the bloat removed.

I ended up restoring back to the stock firmware because with all the root methods I tried (ROMs had root baked in), all of them were not stable. My phone would reboot at random times and especially when I would be in the middle of a phone call.

I was mostly rooting my phones to block ads systemwide including in apps. Don't need to root to do that as there are apps that can do this without root.

I will not be rooting my S7 Edge after the experience I had with my Note 5.

How do you block your ads? I get particularly annoyed with targeted ads while browsing. For things like wall beds and formula one campsites that I searched for 6 or 7 months ago but have no further interest in pursuing...

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I just installed package disabler pro on my s5 and the ram jumped from 708mb to 828mb free. But doesn't seem much faster. I'm sure this won't be the case with the s7 edge as even running bloat ware and full touchWiz it has twice this so should be a lovely handset within a few clicks of a button in the app 😃

You don't want RAM that's not being used on Android. Your phone is not a PC and RAM that's just sitting there not being used is a waste.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I just installed package disabler pro on my s5 and the ram jumped from 708mb to 828mb free. But doesn't seem much faster. I'm sure this won't be the case with the s7 edge as even running bloat ware and full touchWiz it has twice this so should be a lovely handset within a few clicks of a button in the app ??????

You don't want RAM that's not being used on Android. Your phone is not a PC and RAM that's just sitting there not being used is a waste.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How do you block your ads? I get particularly annoyed with targeted ads while browsing. For things like wall beds and formula one campsites that I searched for 6 or 7 months ago but have no further interest in pursuing...

I'm using Adguard. It blocks ads everywhere from Ads in apps to any browser. They give you a week free to try it and then it costs $9.99/year or there's a lifetime thing. After the bad experience I had with rooting my Note 5, this is well worth it to block the ads and I won't void my warranty on my S7 Edge.

You can at least try it and see if you like it. I think it's worth every dime. http://www.adguard.com/apk
That link will download the app to your phone and then you browse to it on your phone using the My Files app and then install it.

I have it running on my Note 5 and S7 Edge.
Screenshot_20160306-194235.jpg

Ashley Elson

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

True but once you have a few apps open the available ram gets taken up and they have to refresh when you open them up again.

Also I will do anything to get rid of the keyboard lag times which haven't been a problem since I freed up some more ram.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How much is lifetime? I reckon $9.99 is probably about £8 ish. ..

I believe it was around $29.99 so you'll have to figure that out for where you are what it will actually be. They have a discount for 2-3 licenses too. I just activated the first phone before I had my S7 Edge so it was too late to get a discount on the second.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Most of what package disabler does can be done in the application manager by disabling apps. For free, and without any concerns about knox or warranty.