12-11-2017 09:19 PM
95 1234
tools
    This feature has been added back in as an option on the Note 7. Hopefully it will make its way back to other Galaxy devices.
    glenn59 likes this.
    08-19-2016 09:07 AM
    This feature has been added back in as an option on the Note 7. Hopefully it will make its way back to other Galaxy devices.
    It's already been back on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge since the June update. If your S7 didn't get it, blame your carrier for screwing around with the update.
    08-20-2016 02:55 AM
    Go to setting>application>default applications>default app selection> and change option to "ask before setting default app"

Tested and working on j700m 6.0.1 mm
    08-20-2016 03:49 AM
    While an understandable annoyance, the vast majority of users will appreciate this new "feature", if they even notice the difference at all.

Posted via the Android Central App
    And what data do you have to support most users will appreciate this change?
    08-20-2016 10:15 AM
    Not on my S5 Android Marshmallow yet. Aaaaaargh!
    08-20-2016 10:24 AM
    Definitely not true for my s5 that just got an update 2 days ago. That option to force it to always ask does not exist here. It makes it look like there is a per-application choicen and I tried that with a few apps, but it totally ignores that choice as if I had tapped nothing.
    09-03-2016 01:29 PM
    That said, why not make it an option you turn on in the Settings | Applications | Default Applications menu: a check-box labeled "Make setting of default applications optional?" Unchecked by default. Now your hypothetical average user never even knows it's possible, and the rest of us can find and activate the mode we want.
    They actually did this for the Note 7, surprisingly. Still a PITA, but at least we have the option now.
    Although, with the whole Note 7 exploding battery debacle, I swapped my Note 7 for an S7 Edge (temporarily) yesterday and went looking for this setting, I thought I was losing my mind when I couldn't find it.
    This is totally going to mess me up handling documents for work, as I regularly use 3-5 apps for different things with the same document. Total b*llsh*t.
    Suffice to say that the S7 Edge *will* be going back as soon as the replacement Note 7's are available.
    09-11-2016 03:34 PM
    They actually did this for the Note 7, surprisingly. Still a PITA, but at least we have the option now.
    Although, with the whole Note 7 exploding battery debacle, I swapped my Note 7 for an S7 Edge (temporarily) yesterday and went looking for this setting, I thought I was losing my mind when I couldn't find it.
    This is totally going to mess me up handling documents for work, as I regularly use 3-5 apps for different things with the same document. Total b*llsh*t.
    Suffice to say that the S7 Edge *will* be going back as soon as the replacement Note 7's are available.
    I have it on my S7 Edge. Got it in the June software update.
    MeatLoafT likes this.
    09-11-2016 08:38 PM
    You really think that the average phone user, which is easily 90%+ of the owners, at the very least won't appreciate one less click?

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm an average user, and I HATE this change! (Came with the last VZW update for me on the Note Edge. They also took away my red underline spell check ....and already had the google keyboard even)

All I know is that sometimes I want to edit my contact in the phone/google, and I also want to edit the conveniently linked Youmail contact. But I can't wdit younail contacts anymore because it isn't thr "default". So I have to look up how to do it, and then just editing a contact adds a LOT more menus and button pushes. Kinda rediculous. (Seems silly enough to have to chooce applications to begin with. You'd think by selecting that tab after "edit" it would work)

See, this is why I miss WebOS!!! Back then, one of you smart people would just write a patch fixing it, then I'd see it on Preware and decide for myself if I wanted that patch or that functionality or not. Was the easiest, most functional thing ever.

RIP WebOS!
    09-15-2016 12:31 AM
    Hello guys, don´t use to use forums but this Samsung Galaxy S7 was driving me crazy until I found the solution, to avoid set an app as default automatically on the samsung galaxy S7, you don´t need any app, Samsung tought that was a nice option to give users the option to either once you selected an app to open a file set it as default automatically or you decide everytime how you want to open that file, which is want a lot of people like me wants, here it is:

SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS>> DEFAULT APPLICATIONS>> DEFAULT APP SELECTION>> (YOU SELECT YOUR DESIRE OPTION)

Thank you hoping this helps....
    Thanks for this! I just looked and I have this setting. At&t S7 Edge 6.0.1 with August security patch (if anyone needs that info.)
    09-15-2016 12:57 AM
    This person is absolutely right! This change SUCKS and I can't believe these developers (and their managers) get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to make these decisions! It was absolutely perfect the way it was! "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Yet another example of 1 step forward 10 steps back! When will they ever learn!
    09-20-2016 06:15 PM
    Nothing yet on AT&T Note 4 6.0.1 w/Aug Security patch.

In my case I select different email client and video player based on context.

Edit: bug still present in September's Security Patch
    09-20-2016 07:19 PM
    This person is absolutely right! This change SUCKS and I can't believe these developers (and their managers) get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to make these decisions! It was absolutely perfect the way it was! "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Yet another example of 1 step forward 10 steps back! When will they ever learn!
    They learned like last May. Most of the world got the patch to bring it back by June. Sprint is late when they only got it this month.
    09-20-2016 08:15 PM
    I think I disagree. I hate this "bug", "glitch", "new easier feature " or whatever we're calling it.
    I could not help but notice it when every time I choose an app to do anything I get several click pop ups informing me where I go to clear the default that I just set and had no choice in choosing.
    I liked the "just once" option on my Note 3 much better.
    I'm using my new Note 7 to comment, and as soon as I realized what was happening I came here to see if there was a fix.
    I guess I will try Better Open With.
    09-24-2016 01:56 PM
    Awesome!!! Thank you for this 🖒🖒
    09-24-2016 02:00 PM
    They learned like last May. Most of the world got the patch to bring it back by June. Sprint is late when they only got it this month.
    Just got my t mobile S7 two weeks ago and I don't have the option to change default behavior. Worse, I don't have the option to clear defaults! E.g. Was just using Kayak app to search flights and clicked to share an itinerary by text with my girlfriend. Phone automatically set messenger as default sharing option for Kayak. When I go to settings/apps/defaults Kayak doesn't show up and there's no option to be asked first about defaults. Worse than that, when I go to application manager, Kayak app, it shows "no defaults selected" so I can't clear the default messenger setting for sharing. On top of it all, the Kayak app did NOT share the itinerary by text! But I no longer have the option to share by email, when I click share in Kayak, it opens messenger every time.

Total frustrating pain in the dong compared to what I was used to on the galaxy S5 and I can't figure out how to fix it short of reinstalling Kayak and starting over...
    Alanhd likes this.
    09-27-2016 09:27 PM
    Just got my t mobile S7 two weeks ago and I don't have the option to change default behavior. Worse, I don't have the option to clear defaults! E.g. Was just using Kayak app to search flights and clicked to share an itinerary by text with my girlfriend. Phone automatically set messenger as default sharing option for Kayak. When I go to settings/apps/defaults Kayak doesn't show up and there's no option to be asked first about defaults. Worse than that, when I go to application manager, Kayak app, it shows "no defaults selected" so I can't clear the default messenger setting for sharing. On top of it all, the Kayak app did NOT share the itinerary by text! But I no longer have the option to share by email, when I click share in Kayak, it opens messenger every time.

Total frustrating pain in the dong compared to what I was used to on the galaxy S5 and I can't figure out how to fix it short of reinstalling Kayak and starting over...
    You'll have to clear defaults for the messenger app instead of kayak.
    09-28-2016 12:17 AM
    Nothing yet on AT&T Note 4 6.0.1 w/Aug Security patch.

In my case I select different email client and video player based on context.

Edit: bug still present in September's Security Patch
    Yes!!! Same exact thing for me. Note 4, AT&T, 6.0.1. No choice in the settings yet. Oddly, I feel like I just had an update from AT&T less than a week ago but my security patch level still says Sept 1. Not sure if they're related. But regardless, still no option yet to return to selecting ability to choose.
    Very frustrating.
    09-29-2016 05:12 PM
    Yes!!! Same exact thing for me. Note 4, AT&T, 6.0.1. No choice in the settings yet. Oddly, I feel like I just had an update from AT&T less than a week ago but my security patch level still says Sept 1. Not sure if they're related. But regardless, still no option yet to return to selecting ability to choose.
    Very frustrating.
    Last week's was September's patch (https://www.att.com/esupport/article...eless/KB425932)
    10-03-2016 12:47 PM
    I'm guessing this is the same update that forces you to select the Samsung or the Bitmoji keyboard in order to place a pic or a bitmoji in your texts. And to select a keyboard, you have to swipe down at the text creation - it won't let you change keyboards in an already started text chain. So to me, it's a little more than removing one click.
    10-04-2016 02:41 PM
    I agree this is a huge annoyance! It now takes forever to integrate between multiple apps. Example, I use Adobe Lightroom mobile all the time, and I like to share photos through SMS, Hangouts, email, Instagram, others. Each time I want to use a different share method, I have to unset the last app I used defaults (all the defaults for that app, such as all my email and SMS defaults for other apps)

This is a major bug introduced by Samsung, other OS's don't do this. "Better open with" doesn't appear to address the use-case problem I have.
    10-05-2016 05:59 PM
    #53, fixes this:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post5348140

settings>applications>default applications>default app selection> and change option to "ask before setting default app"
    pwscott likes this.
    10-05-2016 06:03 PM
    #53, fixes this:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post5348140

settings>applications>default applications>default app selection> and change option to "ask before setting default app"
    This option is not available on AT&T's Note 4

But I don't WANNA set a default! How can I avoid this?-screenshot_2016-10-05.jpg
    But I don't WANNA set a default! How can I avoid this?-deviceinfo_2016-10-05-17-26-36.jpg
    10-05-2016 07:23 PM
    But I don't WANNA set a default! How can I avoid this?-screenshot_20161018-152824.jpg
    joe1blue likes this.
    10-18-2016 03:32 PM
    Not there for me, what build do you have? thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20161018-152824.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	242709
    10-18-2016 04:17 PM
95 1234