But I don't WANNA set a default! How can I avoid this?

Aethandor

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
whilst I agree that Better Open With is a handy app and goes some way towards fixing this annoyance (and I use it too on S7 edge) I've just find an even better one to workaround to this annoyance that's tiny and lists only those apps that have a default set against them. It's instant.

The app name is misleading as the app's sole function is to enable you selectively clear defaults not choose new ones, but in the Play Store, hunt for "Launch By Default" by Rainbow Developer.
I'm well pleased. It's a big time saver.

I've shared exactly what I think of Samsung's improvident decision on my Google+ profile, although as a newcomer to this forum, I might need to remove the url.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102635388494963542813/posts/QDeLYitAHsu

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there any other alternative to Better Open With. I was using it for a couple days but I just can't get myself to like it.

JD Bell

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
Re: But I don't WANNA set a default!!!!!

Reasonable request but suspect it won't happen because there are far too few that care. Don't bother asking me to prove it because I can't, but I'd certainly be willing to bet on it.

Now as far as them doing anything about changing this "feature", well I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posted via the Android Central App

PayPal has a handy "family and friends" feature that allows me to send money to an email address. Their mobile app even let's me click an email address and launch that cool feature.

Except I CAN'T use that featured without either permanently associating email address links with PayPal OR following the 7-step process of dissociation the default BEFORE AND AFTER using that feature.

Removing this had essential rendered many useful app shortcuts inert. That's stupid... Why take away such a powerful feature?

Jon Doe14

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

It is not a new feature.... It is there in my note 5 too in both lollipop and marshmallow.

You can use better open with from the play store to use similar to "just once" functionality. I actually prefer better open with over the old just once option personally.

Why even offer a reply if you didn't read the actual problem at hand? No, this is NOT the same 'feature' as offered in Lollipop. The lack of the 'Just Once' option is debilitating and a major nuisance.

And the OP is not interested, nor is anyone else, in your useless commentary in regards to what YOU prefer. He posted a request for assistance, not a plea for someone to comfort him.

For future reference, please do the community a favor, and simply refrain from interjecting your comments when you have nothing useful to offer.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Why even offer a reply if you didn't read the actual problem at hand? No, this is NOT the same 'feature' as offered in Lollipop. The lack of the 'Just Once' option is debilitating and a major nuisance.

And the OP is not interested, nor is anyone else, in your useless commentary in regards to what YOU prefer. He posted a request for assistance, not a plea for someone to comfort him.

For future reference, please do the community a favor, and simply refrain from interjecting your comments when you have nothing useful to offer.

Woah, tone it down there tiger! If you read the entire post, he did recommend a solution called "Better Open With" (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...outmycode.betteropenwith&hl=en&token=GhtfOpIj) but even if he didn't, he's trying to help. I noticed that your post did not try to help anyone. I might recommend that you take a few moments to read our Community Rules & Guidelines, here. I'm not sure if you noticed, but that's one of the moderators of the forum that you just went after. Unfortunately, per the rules you're a little out of line here and if we're going to continue to converse we need to make sure everyone is doing so in a polite, helpful and respectful manner. Unfortunately I didn't get that vibe from your post, so please try to do better going forward. Thanks!

MarcoK

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys, don´t use to use forums but this Samsung Galaxy S7 was driving me crazy until I found the solution, to avoid set an app as default automatically on the samsung galaxy S7, you don´t need any app, Samsung tought that was a nice option to give users the option to either once you selected an app to open a file set it as default automatically or you decide everytime how you want to open that file, which is want a lot of people like me wants, here it is:

SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS>> DEFAULT APPLICATIONS>> DEFAULT APP SELECTION>> (YOU SELECT YOUR DESIRE OPTION)

Thank you hoping this helps....

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

If you guys received the official June update from Samsung, you'd find that they brought back the set default and just once options. If your carrier didn't push it....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you guys received the official June update from Samsung, you'd find that they brought back the set default and just once options. If your carrier didn't push it....
Basically Verizon users should see it sometime next year right?

curlie_que

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Besides downloading another app to manage this issue, has anyone found a different fix? An example of when this is annoying is when texting pics, I don't always want my phone gallery to be the default. I may want to send an emoji or meme from a different app I've downloaded :mad:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Besides downloading another app to manage this issue, has anyone found a different fix? An example of when this is annoying is when texting pics, I don't always want my phone gallery to be the default. I may want to send an emoji or meme from a different app I've downloaded :mad:

Not without the aforementioned software update, which is dependent on carriers to send out.

bmcelvan

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm converting, not calling it upgrading anymore as my s7 seems worse than my old s4 mini, software wise that is of course, I loved my s4 mini compared to this crap.

I just got my Verizon S7 from Bestbuy on July 14th. After activating it I kept checking for updates and if I'm not mistaken it updated 6 times before it said up to date, no more updates. With that said, this function is definitely not there. So until Verizon adds it back, I'm actually going to call them about it today to request/see when it's coming, it looks as though the "Better Open With" app combined with using "ES File Manager" for browsing is the closest thing.

If you browse your media with ES File Manager, it has it's own app launcher built it that lets you open an app for that file type JUST ONCE if you just click the app, or you can set that app as default with a radio button and then clicking it.

I find using ES File Manager easier to find all my media anyways, certainly compared to bloated apps like gallery, and ESFM responds so much quicker.

The downside is it isn't global. So if trying to access an app from within the system, for example set ringtone from settings or select a pic from messaging, it doesn't work there very easily :( Also you are only setting the ES File Manager default, not a global default, but I think we all know how to do that now, right? ;)

I hope this helps someone AND PLEASE once Verizon has included this update LET EVERYONE KNOW by posting here!!

Last edited:

crested188

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I can't get Better open with to work?! I flip the switch to ask what app for images but when I look again the switch is turned off? It allows me to only select once then it sets default like usual???? How do I keep that switch on? I'm on Marshmallow Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5.
What am I doing wrong? :-X Anyone know?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01