S7 Edge "Always on Display" with Clear View case problem

Michael_Fox

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy 7 edge owner. Am I to understand that Samsung is saying the clear view case wasn't designed for its AOD feature. If so, why did it work perfectly until the last software update? AOD was one of the reasons I bought the phone. After immediately dropping my first S7 edge without a case and rendering it useless, I bought a second phone with Samsung clear view case. The AOD worked fine with the case, as advertised. A couple of days ago there was a new software message on the phone. I downloaded and installed the new software and the AOD through the case stopped working, in fact it turned AOD off and went to a blank screen.

Michael_Fox

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy 7 edge owner. Am I to understand that Samsung is saying the clear view case wasn't designed for its AOD feature. If so, why did it work perfectly until the last software update? AOD was one of the reasons I bought the phone. After immediately dropping my first S7 edge without a case and rendering it useless, I bought a second phone with Samsung clear view case. The AOD worked fine with the case, as advertised. A couple of days ago there was a new software message on the phone. I downloaded and installed the new software and the AOD through the case stopped working, in fact it turned AOD off and went to a blank screen.

Donnie Bowers

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Be sure to check to see in your settings under display in the "keep screen turned off" when in a dark place is toggled to off. Only setting that might cause this.

Mark808

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I just got the s-view case. Am I right in thinking the screen only appears through the window for around 5 seconds before switching off? Is there a setting to keep it on or do you have to press the power button?

Fusionfool

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
What link below? I have only one function that works on the clear view case. I can only answer calls, no other functions work, like music playback, or camera, I could care less about the always on, if the other functions as advertised worked.

Fusionfool

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes that is the way they say it works. The big question is do any other of the advertised functions work. My cover only allows me to answer or deny call. No other functions work.

Naga Mahesh Jakka

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi Friends, look at the actual functionality of AOD (Always On Display) below.
Whenever the screen gets locked, if AOD is already enabled in the display settings, then phone will display "Clock, Calendar, Date & Time" etc on the phone screen (Based on your selection chosen in AOD settings).
So, this AOD display consumes very very less power.
But, in order to reduce burning issues (If the clock is continuously on at only one place, display will get heated at that that particular place), the clock place or location (the location of the screen, where this AOD Clock is on) keep changing on the display.
Above details are given to make you understand about the functionality of AOD.
Now, when it comes to the S View Cover, find the details below.
So, if we use S View cover, AOD will not work.
Because, for S View Cover, we have only one place to access the screen.
If we activate AOD with S View Cover, the clock position keep changes and it doesn't make any sense if it works with S View Cover, Because the S View Cover is completely covering the entire screen of phone and we can't see any clock.
This is the only reason, AOD will not work with S View cover.
Cheers,
Naga Mahesh. Jakka

Trek44

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

Tried out my new Clear View case with S7 Edge and what can I see the "Always on Display" doesn't work anymore with it nor does it show anything at all (practically what it displays is the basic Time, Date and that's it (for several seconds) for example I had Calendar on but not working with new case). After some seconds it disappears and no longer "Always on Display" working but rather just old function which older versions used to have.

Is it some kind of error? Or is there any way around for this? Anyone else having this kind of problem?

Hopefully I explained the problem understandable enough,
Thanks!

Had the same problem with mine and got to the point where I just removed the grey sticker and took out the magnet. Used Gravity Screen and set to turn off/on with the proximity sensor. This was the only one I tried that would not trigger the "enter password because of security policy" message when using fingerprint to unlock the device.

ShaMana999

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi Friends, look at the actual functionality of AOD (Always On Display) below.
Whenever the screen gets locked, if AOD is already enabled in the display settings, then phone will display "Clock, Calendar, Date & Time" etc on the phone screen (Based on your selection chosen in AOD settings).
So, this AOD display consumes very very less power.
But, in order to reduce burning issues (If the clock is continuously on at only one place, display will get heated at that that particular place), the clock place or location (the location of the screen, where this AOD Clock is on) keep changing on the display.
Above details are given to make you understand about the functionality of AOD.
Now, when it comes to the S View Cover, find the details below.
So, if we use S View cover, AOD will not work.
Because, for S View Cover, we have only one place to access the screen.

Sorry to tell you that but that total BS. Watches with Always On displays have the same troubles and they move the lit up screen portion by just a single pixel to solve that problem. More over without the cover the clock moves a tiny barely unnoticeable amount on the screen to avoid frustration of chasing your clock all over the screen. In a 2k display there are a lot of pixels or even so they could have easily used some of the smaller clocks designs for AOD feature and still have plenty space to ping pong that thing all over the place.

This is just a lazy implementation by Samsung and its a darn shame that they didn't gave it the extra development week effort to make it work software wise. A second reason is the possible brightness issue that the AOD will need to be seen through the cover case screen itself. That will force the phone to be full brightens and thus increase consumption but again that can be negated with a minimalistic approach which conserves screen space and active display pixels

MaxHansen

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
For me the Clear View Cover with the not working AOD is not a alternative to other cases.

So I have a small Bug-Fix which worked for me :)

I removed the small magnet on the lower right of the lid (it is just glued), now the always On Screen is still showing up even when the Cover is closed.
What you lose, is the On / Off functionality when you open or close the lid. What is no problem for me, because I'm using the Fingerprint.

Small Restriction: The AOD is not showing up as bright as the Display would do with the normal Clear View Cover Screen so ist is not perfect to read. But better than an Off Screen :)

Timo

Hi, do you know if this would work with the S7E S view cover? There is a rectangular share in the bottom of the back of the cover. But besides for that nothing visible. I'm using the official cover by samsung

Gabor Lobo

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I got my new S7 edge, bought Samsung Clear view case, and screen protector with it.
I was at the place to return the phone for Samsung warranty for one part of the screen did not react to touch, the guy said Samsung would remove the screen protector anyway, so why don't we try? We did, so it worked OK, I just threw money out on window with that, to Samsung.
I have the "smart" clear view window BLACK on my S7 edge. Annoying. Smart window clear BLACK view, with always on display, but dumb programmers paid at Samsung, is really irritating. Then when note 7 explosions news came, there were news about getting goodies from the note - like smart cover clock and date kinda minimum data.. and wonder happened!! I got date, time and battery under my Clear view case window!!!
Happy like hell, until next update.
It was gone, after just a few days.
Now, today, new update, and I get it again!! :):) So much fun, every day is different!! Fun POWERED BY SAMSUNG.
I thought Samsung programmers were dumb, not having a chance of testing what they are doing, but now I am convinced, the whole company is clueless.. They show up like happy, to have this minimalistic and obvious service missing or even playing with, after having the phone launched almost a year back, but from a flag ship with expensive cover, I consider it, as a poor service, and lack of attention to customer needs.
Today, at the moment it is working - the minimalistic info behind even the clear view window!!- , I am begging not to have an update killing it. It is a sad and poor service, that what it is.

Last edited:

Gabor Lobo

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
One other problem I seem to have with this S7 edge, while need to connect their Play Store, I need to turn off wifi :):)
Seems like having a problem with some SSL or other identification protocol. It is not any more to turn off the blue tooth while on wifi, but seems like a problem, Samsung never heard of, even after 2-3 factory resets they suggested, it is the same! :)
After all, this phone gives me the feeling to have one of the nicest phones, I ever had in my hands, cover is one of the best designs as well, but the things below the "hood" just fells like a mock-up, The Chinese will be able to beat in a year or two best.
One more comment about continuous improvement of Samsung clear view cover:
- S5 and Note 4 covers were just an overkill to make a slick and slim phone into a brick for self defense in street fights.
- S7 edge cover is nice, slim and protective, ALMOST as good as, the one they had for S4! (Not updated any more, since a few years old model :), though feels like just brought it home yesterday).
This one cannot be a back panel exchange, understandable, but clear view window gets very quickly finger print-magnet, not so clear view any more.
From that prospective S4 cover behaves better too, this S7 plastic just gives a poor, cheap impression while looking at the BLACK screen behind it.. fingerprint background is visible.. time and date display on can help., so I hope they do not forget about it at next update! :)
Do not think I am an Apple freak, I had that too, but since IPhone 3s and previous IPad, I switched to S4/Note4/Note 12/ S7 edge (S7, since could not upgrade to the exploding note 7, and looks like it is not an option any more anyways)
Trying to switch from my Note 4 to Note 7, was a good one too, Note 4 died still in warranty on me, before Samsung would be able to stop sending updates any more! The whole thing is a mess from my perspective.
I do not want to share horror stories, just wanted to share current problems I see with my S7 edge and Samsung Clear View Cover.
As far as the info displayed: a smart watch can do more than Samsung does on an old style grandma digital clock, however seems like Samsung is struggling even with that! :)

Last edited:

David Berry 1

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Its meant to disable aod. Buy a cheap clearview from china it will work. The samsung one gives you shortcuts for camera & phone instead & a simple time. It works fine on my note 7. Of course it disables aod. My s window case doesn't though. It has the same issue as my n5 after 6update. No background wallpaper or short cuts. Just like aod clock with black background. Maybe it needs permission to write over other apps. The led cover is the best. That & clearview are great on note 7. No scratching like the old s6e as they addressed that with felt but I'd still prefer to use a protector. Just a plastic 1 not crappy glass. Don't work with edges. There may be an update for folding s view case but I got mine last wk so probably been removed unless the s7 1works as a fix. I ain't checked but my led told me an update was there. Does good lock interfere with some of the cases? Idk if I've tried clear view since trying good lock again which I still dunno about. Damned shame they blocked my imei though & neutered the best phone ever making it wifi only. I've got a gold7&black7 both 100% charge but only do wifi even though the samsung report proves that this phone is safe as it was 1st exy replacement b4 the usa recall program put pressure on battery supplier & they screwed up. Bad tracking of parts inventory& batch numbering cost them 5billion us$ & us the best phone ever. I hope there is a way to change imei in future. I won't change to a note 8 unless its great.4k screen don't turn me on&I'm super pissed at Samsung's treatment towards us hold outs. Their heavy handed tactics cost us all some great package disabling apps which gives sammy phones more in the cons section. If it wasn't for ip68&their mad accessories I'd ditch em in a heart beat if someone had a proper wacom stylus. Lg stylus2 pro is finally caching but still a thin dumb stylus & only mid range at best.at least they finally went fhd tbough.