I have never owned a Samsung phone but am about to take the plunge. I don't know much about Touch Wiz but read a lot of complaints about it. I have always used Nova Launcher on my previous phones anyways. Will that solve the problem and avoid Touch Wiz? Is Touch Wiz just the launcher or is there more to it than that? Will the Edge functions still work with another launcher?
    03-08-2016 01:15 PM
    I have never owned a Samsung phone but am about to take the plunge. I don't know much about Touch Wiz but read a lot of complaints about it. I have always used Nova Launcher on my previous phones anyways. Will that solve the problem and avoid Touch Wiz? Is Touch Wiz just the launcher or is there more to it than that? Will the Edge functions still work with another launcher?
    Which android phones have you used before?

If you use Nova launcher then you can easily customise it and make it look like anything you want. Touchwiz won't come in your way. There are various ways to make touchwiz look and feel the way you want it to. It has its own theme engine which has a lot of great themes. Applying a launcher on top of those themes can make the software look even better!

Me though, I like the look of the default software. I don't know what it is I just love it. Of course the stock google launcher looks and feels the best but we have to make some sacrifice here. I'd say after the stock google experience, touchwiz is my favourite android software. And I mean the touchwiz of today!

And yes the edge feature work just fine on any launcher or theme you may apply.

Don't listen to the hate. Go in a store and experience it yourself. I'm sure you won't find it annoying or ugly or whatever everybody else says about it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    SR45 likes this.
    03-08-2016 01:36 PM
    Thank you. I have used Motorola and HTC smartphones in the past and always ended up with Nova eventually.
    03-08-2016 01:37 PM
    Thank you. I have used Motorola and HTC smartphones in the past and always ended up with Nova eventually.
    Motorola and HTC both have great skins. So you'll have to lower your expectations a bit before using touchwiz

I think you should go to the store and check it out for yourself. But with the package Samsung is providing, this little compromise won't make a difference. Trust me. All the positives outweigh the software by miles.

03-08-2016 02:06 PM
    Coming from BB10 I obviously have no idea about touch wiz vs nova, but I figured i'd start stock and see how it goes first

Posted via Android Central App
    03-08-2016 02:09 PM
    Touchwiz is what Samsung changed over stock Google, less carrier additions.

Depends on your preference and what you want. I prefer to touchwiz over stock Google on my Nexus 6. Of course, there are some who prefer stock Google over touchwiz. What specifically do you not like about it?
    03-08-2016 02:20 PM
    People have different tastes, but for me, I don't mind touchwiz at all. Others will complain. Go figure
    03-08-2016 02:42 PM
    I'm coming from Windows Phone and looking to get the S7 (or maybe S7 Edge) and was wondering the same thing. Would love to hear everyone's opinions because I seem to see a lot of people complaining about TouchWiz and Bloat. Something we don't have at all on Windows Phone.
    03-11-2016 01:17 PM
    I'm coming from Windows Phone and looking to get the S7 (or maybe S7 Edge) and was wondering the same thing. Would love to hear everyone's opinions because I seem to see a lot of people complaining about TouchWiz and Bloat. Something we don't have at all on Windows Phone.
    Im a Windows convert as well. Seems like Android requires more taps to do things than my Lumia 1020 did. For example, what good is the notification screen if you can't tap the item and have it open the related app? It annoys the crap out of me that it just won't open my email or text when I hit the new message notification.
    03-11-2016 01:19 PM
    I normally install Nova launcher seconds after I turn on a new phone. For some reason I wanted to try the new Touchwiz. Im coming from a semi-long stint from Apple, but I digress. I don't mind Touchwiz. It does everything I need it to do. No reason for Nova at this point in time.
    03-11-2016 01:23 PM
    I actually like Touchwiz. It's been toned down ALOT since the S5 and with themes, you can now make it look the way you want as well.
    03-11-2016 01:25 PM
    Coming from BB10 I obviously have no idea about touch wiz vs nova, but I figured i'd start stock and see how it goes first

Posted via Android Central App
    I'm the same I came from BB10 which has some features I do miss but I installed Nova Launcher Prime so I could get the gestures and installed BlackBerry Hub so I Swipe up into it, also installed the BlackBerry Keyboard makes me feel more at home

03-11-2016 01:34 PM
    Im a Windows convert as well. Seems like Android requires more taps to do things than my Lumia 1020 did. For example, what good is the notification screen if you can't tap the item and have it open the related app? It annoys the crap out of me that it just won't open my email or text when I hit the new message notification.
    Oh God... *facepalm* I'm not looking forward to switching! hahaha

Yeah, I've had my Lumia 920 that came out shortly before the 1020. I loved the OS and held out for as long as I could, but MS has just dropped the ball the past 3 years and now it's an abandoned OS despite all it's positives. How is the battery life on your Edge? I see a lot of people on these forums just hoping for their phones to last from 9am-5pm. To me, that should not be a standard!! 24 hours should be a standard, and anything better than that is welcomed!! I remember when the battery was new on my 920, I would drain only 3-4% per hour during the day, and 1% or less per hour in standby.
    03-11-2016 02:04 PM
    Oh God... *facepalm* I'm not looking forward to switching! hahaha

Yeah, I've had my Lumia 920 that came out shortly before the 1020. I loved the OS and held out for as long as I could, but MS has just dropped the ball the past 3 years and now it's an abandoned OS despite all it's positives. How is the battery life on your Edge? I see a lot of people on these forums just hoping for their phones to last from 9am-5pm. To me, that should not be a standard!! 24 hours should be a standard, and anything better than that is welcomed!! I remember when the battery was new on my 920, I would drain only 3-4% per hour during the day, and 1% or less per hour in standby.
    I loved the Windows UI. It was intuitive, easy and ergonomic.

I hated the lack of apps, the TERRIBLE browser options, and the fact that everytime I go to the bahamas for business my phone will have an app hang up and drain the battery. There is something about that phone that knows when I need a long day out of it and I'm using the camera, it will get hot and drain the battery in no time at all.

The battery life on my S7 Edge has been awesome today(first day using it). Im at 68% and I came to work at 8:30 this morning and have logged a couple of hours talking, plus email, text and maybe a match or two of Marvel Contest of Champions

I love the phone. Im not in love with Android yet....I have about 10 days to decide. It is seriously the best hardware Ive ever had(nokia made some awesome phones in the past). The screen is amazing.
    03-11-2016 02:30 PM
    If you switch to Nova, replace some icons and hide some bloat apps, the rest of Touchwiz is pretty good. I like some of the extra features and menu settings etc.

For some reason Touchwiz launcher and icons just grate on me.
    03-11-2016 03:02 PM
    I quite like how touchwiz looks, but Google Now launcher is simply much faster, that's why I use that.
    03-11-2016 03:29 PM
    I think the main reason I like Nova is because you can make icons smaller, add more or less to a row, etc. Unless there is a way to customize TouchWiz like that which I haven't really looked into you. I imagine there are a lot more ways to customize with a different launcher.
    03-12-2016 01:40 AM
    Q: how to re launch touchwiz from another launcher ? I have next3d launcher and can figure out how to get out of it. On my note 3 for example i would just hit the home button to switch between launchers, but on this s7 edge when i hit the home button nothing comes up at all, holding it in brings up a google "want answers before you ask? " screen. What to do ?
    03-13-2016 03:35 PM
    Q: how to re launch touchwiz from another launcher ? I have next3d launcher and can figure out how to get out of it. On my note 3 for example i would just hit the home button to switch between launchers, but on this s7 edge when i hit the home button nothing comes up at all, holding it in brings up a google "want answers before you ask? " screen. What to do ?
    Settings - applications - default applications and clear the one for home screen. Next time you click the home button, it'll ask which launcher to start.

Or you simply uninstall next3d and it'll ask as well when you hit the home button next time
    03-14-2016 11:11 AM
    Ah, got it . Thanks !

** Humm, Was able to bring up the touchwiz interface but hitting home button still does nothing, went back into default apps and switched back to next launcher, hit home button and nada but a blank screen with just my home screen wallpaper . lockscreen is ok as it drop down status bar. Edge bar works. did reboot and same results. Strange.
    03-14-2016 04:11 PM