SGS7 Edge First Impressions

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I basically gutted everything on mine. Turned off edge features, turned off always on display, disabled all bloatware, installed Nova Launcher and restored my settings (after all my apps downloaded) and it's running pretty smooth.

But when I say pretty smooth, I do mean it's got some noticeable framerate hitches, especially with the Play Store (much better on the Nexus 6P) and some app switching slowdown. The stock keyboard lagged, but the Google Keyboard has fixed that problem completely with me.

Love, love, love the gaming overlay feature.

Love love love the camera, and the camera software (much, much better than Google camera)

So far so good. I can say I do notice the screen in quite sensitive like others. And my fat palms tent to protrude into the edge display and I accidentally lock things up. I need that Sammy leather cover they have advertised.

dizzll

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Advice for the screen sensitivity would be a screen protector. Takes the edge off of presses.. See what I did there?

kman00

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Battery has definitely gotten better. If i can use the phone all day and get home late at night with charge left I'm plenty happy!
Oh and I also love the camera, big improvement over my awesome Note 4

Attachments

• 1457581040201.jpg
    1457581040201.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 1457581050900.jpg
    1457581050900.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 41

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Battery has definitely gotten better. If i can use the phone all day and get home late at night with charge left I'm plenty happy!
Oh and I also love the camera, big improvement over my awesome Note 4

Totally agree. I upgraded from a Note 4 as well.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Battery has been really good. Yesterday I had around 5 hours SOT with over 20% battery remaining.

I'd struggle to get 4 hours total from the Nexus 5.

kman00

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
To you guys saying the screen is too responsive... I totally agree!!
It has actually been causing a bit of an issue. When I'm scrolling the forums or a Web page with lots of links it always happens to click them.

Any way to deal with this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah at times it does feel too responsive. I'm sure it will be fixed in future updates. I'm also waiting for my screen protector, I feel like that might help some as well. I love this screen but I just feel weird without a screen protector lol

kman00

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
During phone calls, do you hear the caller well, and do they hear you well ? Have you used a bluetooth headset with phone calls, and if so how are they. Sound wise. Most important to me, since I'm a little hard of hearing.

No issues hearing caller or them hearing me. Definitely impressed with Antena, at work I was getting barely any signal in the room I work at with my note 4 and had to place the phone on a spot with signal and have everything come to my watch but this bad boy been great. Signal is not strong but I can have the phone right by me and receivey phone calls and send and receive txt and Internet also work but slow as expected with poor signal.

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Ive had mine for 2 hours.

1. Samsung Pay won't install on the phone.
2. It takes about 2-3x the number of taps to accomplish something as it did on Windows or iOS.
3. The phone is absolutely beautiful and feels great in the hand.

Im going to give it a few days before I make a judgement. Have problems right out of the box is a real downer.

Ryan Hudson2

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know how or if you can change the view of your email to conversation or thread? On my S5 I could change the view to conversation and it would consolidate all emails of that subject, with the S7 I have a massive list of emails of the same subject.

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts after 2 days with the phone:

1) The hardware is awesome! It makes my iPhone 6s Plus seem clunky.
2) Samsung Pay - I have the AT&T version of the phone and Samsung Pay came pre-installed. It had an update when I first launched the app so I did the update. Now I am unable to add a card. The app displays an error whenever I try to choose the verification method. I called Samsung and they said the issue is because Samsung Pay is not yet available on this phone. They said it should start working on March 11, which is the official release date. Even if that is true, don't you think if you're going to allow retailers to ship your phones you should make sure your services are all working properly when people will receive them??? Not very impressive at all.
3) I really like the Game Launcher. However, it seems a bit buggy. A few times it has gotten stuck on even after I exit the game I am playing. This has required that I reboot the phone since my back and recent apps keys were disabled. I probably could have also force quit the game launcher.
4) I'm a little surprised that it seems somewhat sluggish to turn on the screen and unlock when I click the home button. My iPhone screen comes on and unlocks usually in under a second. With the S7, whether Always On Display is on or off, sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds from clicking the home button to getting to the home screen.

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the phone. I love the hardware but these software bugs, along with Samsung's poor track record with updates have me thinking it might not be worth the 800+ dollars that I shelled out for it. I may just keep my iPhone and hope for the best when the next Nexus phone comes out in the fall.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Followup after a few days on voice calls. I believe this is the best sounding handset I've used, but standalone and with a bluetooth headset. Volume is great. On my iphone 6s plus I always had to have the handset volume at higher settings and it would be hard to hear at times in loud environments. On the S7E I have the normal volume level set at around 20%. I've also been told it sounds great on the other end.

sealevels

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Granted, I haven't had a hell of a lot of time to play with this phone, but this phone is light-years away from my old phone (G2). I don't regret getting this for a moment. The battery life has been really good - I had jury duty and the phone was impressive with how little it drained. My old phone would have needed a charge at least once. I love the size of the Edge, too! I'm a happy camper.

madgalaxy

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hardware is great and top notch. Built well and feels good in hand.

Now software is another story. I am getting lots of lag! Lock screen, Google Messenger, Play store and several games I play. My Note 5 runs better than the S7 Edge in all aspects. I really dont like the automatic oversaturation when you start a game.

Oh and the bloat (but I knew what I was getting into buying a carrier version)! Gonna give it a few more days and may factory reset tonight to see if that fixes it. It will be returned next week if I am still not satisfied.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Man, you Americans should see the Exynos version. It FLIES. 99% sure it's your US carriers and their bloatware responsible for your performance issues. Try and debloat your phones as much as possible.

Absolute minimal lag/stutter with my S7. Far smoother than my old spare phone Nexus 5 (running Marshmallow), my work phone S6 edge (running Marshmallow), my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact that this phone is replacing (running Lollipop) and my iPad Air 2 (running iOS 9.3 beta 6). In a league of its own. Never before seen such fluent performance on a phone before. I'd describe my S7 the exact same way people describe the performance of their Nexus 6P.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My UK phone is running the exynos chip and seems pretty quick. That said, I have been doing app loading comparisons with my old phone (xperia z2) and in some cases the xperia loads up quicker or just the same. Loading a game though the s7 edge is quicker.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

SurfnSun

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
How does it take 2 or 3 taps to accomplish something? What examples?

Posted via S7 edge 😍

Three quick examples...

1. To turn on the voice assistant, it's minimum two taps unless you say ok Google every time.
2. The notification screen is worthless, you have to tap the item you want and then slide the screen up before it accesses the item.
3. Contacts from Facebook are not syncing at all, so I'm having to manually load many of them.

I want to love this phone bc it's so beautiful. But the OS is just not as smooth as the other two. Having now owned all three types I can say Android is the least user friendly of the three