Gear S Watch Not 100% Compatible with Marshmallow

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So after testing this out for a whole day, I've come to the conclusion that the Gear S watch is not compatible with Marshmallow as far using all the features. It will stay connected to my S7 Edge and send notifications and make calls, it's just that trying to send music and pictures will fail and then the BT pairing will drop and may never connect again. Also, you can not install apps on the watch either.

I figured out that it is a marshmallow problem by pairing the watch to my Note 5 on Lollipop and it has none of these problems. Since Samsung abandoned the watch long ago, it will not get any support for this.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That's unfortunate because the S2 has been working fine with my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
I figured it would. In the fall when there is a new Android OS, the same thing may or may not be a problem with the Gear S2, This makes me not want to buy another Samsung watch.

I can always use my Note 5 with the watch to keep it working but I bought the S7 Edge to be my main phone for everything. I may just put the watch away in it's box now.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got the LTE version of Gear S2. It is freaking awesome. :)

So after testing this out for a whole day, I've come to the conclusion that the Gear S watch is not compatible with Marshmallow as far using all the features. It will stay connected to my S7 Edge and send notifications and make calls, it's just that trying to send music and pictures will fail and then the BT pairing will drop and may never connect again. Also, you can not install apps on the watch either.

I figured out that it is a marshmallow problem by pairing the watch to my Note 5 on Lollipop and it has none of these problems. Since Samsung abandoned the watch long ago, it will not get any support for this.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I got the S2 classic and love it. Maybe Sammy will push and update to the S so it will play nicer with MM.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the S2 classic and love it. Maybe Sammy will push and update to the S so it will play nicer with MM.

I doubt it. I think the last Tizen update that Samsung pushed out was last spring.

I did get a few apps to install finally but after a while, the watch locks up and requires a reboot to do anything else. I still can't transfer a song to the watch to use as a ringtone. It makes the watch disconnect from BT.

I haven't used the watch as a standalone on T-Mobile since a few months after buying it. My T-Mobile watch will work with any activated T-Mobile sim and I have four accounts activated so I can always use one sim to put in the watch at any time.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I do like the form factor of this watch, but I do prefer android ware. I wish uncle Sammy would have just stuck with Android Ware software.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've taken a sim out of one of my other phones and put it in the Gear S. I'll just stay connected to my S7 Edge that way instead of BT. Remote connection works pretty good! I just wish I could send a ringtone over to the watch.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile version which works fine using the GSM mode but you still can't install apps or send music to the watch under Marshmellow.

I setting up my Gear S2 with AT&T. Everything is working accordingly. All apps are loaded and went well. I didn't see any app downloading issue. It went through without a hitch. I didn't use my older SIM.

omahaorange

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I had a hard time pairing the S7 edge to my GS 2. Ended up doing a factory reset on the watch, then it paired flawlessly.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I had a hard time pairing the S7 edge to my GS 2. Ended up doing a factory reset on the watch, then it paired flawlessly.

I tried 3-4 times. Each time the phone would paid and when I tried to transfer a song to use as a ringtone, it failed and then the phone would disconnect. I discovered all I had to do was reboot the watch and it would connect again but I still couldn't add any apps or transfer the one song for a ringtone.

Every time I then would pair it with my Note 5 on Lollipop, it would pair and I never had trouble transferring anything to the watch including that one song. I only have trouble on the S7 Edge.

I'm using the watch with a sim card in it now and using the remote connection and that's working good. Of course you don't get the option to copy anything to the watch this way through Gear Manager.

gadgetjim

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I have my Gear S paired with my Note 4 (running Lollipop 5.1). I use the File Transfer app to transfer tons of stuff .... music, videos, PDF, DOC, ePUB, images, lots of apps .... Works great. I can pair my Samsung Level U Pro earbuds to my Gear S. I also use a stylus on my Gear S.

I preordered the Note 7 ..... I'm hoping my Gear S will pair and work correctly with the Note 7 ..... If not, I will have to keep my Gear S paired to my Note 4, but I would prefer to keep my Gear S paired to my Note 7, which will be my only smartphone with active service.

Brennan Ryan

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
You may not want to for overall viability and usefulness but you could always install full android on it. I haven't done it myself but I know you can and I know it works. Might not make a whole lot of sense due to the whole watch thing but if the idea of having a usable standalone device it may be worth looking into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38