So after reading Andrews review of the S7 edge I am now nervous about this camera. I currently have the S6 edge and love
    what the camera can do. To me it's the best part about this phone. Andrew said a couple of things that kind of make me double think
    keeping this phone when I get it. He said the following.

"I didn't experience completely blurry shots as often as I would've expected, but if you're not steady you will see soft images here. Knowing that it's all in the name of smoother low light shots I totally understand it, and if I wanted to do anything different the Pro mode won't hold me back in this regard."

"where the Galaxy S6 edge was a wonderful standout, things aren't quite as rosy here."

"Where the issues start to creep in is in situations where there are bright and dark parts of a scene: for example a dark wall or shadow cascading across the shot. These shots are a big test of a camera's dynamic range and are historically tough for small sensors like those in smartphone cameras to handle. The Galaxy S7 edge takes in these scenes focusing strongly on the bright and vibrant parts of the photo, as you'd expect, and really leaves something to be desired in terms of quality in the dark portions. Dark areas get very blotchy and are noticeable immediately compared to the crisp bright parts of the photo. This is the case even with HDR turned on, which is designed to fix just these sorts of issues."

"While the quality of the overall picture is still good, particularly when viewed at a phone size, the problems with these pictures are far more apparent when you actually zoom into them a bit. Even zooming in on a scene by 25 percent reveals lots of visual aberrations and chroma noise from aggressive over-smoothing of dark areas. Of course most people won't be zooming in on photos to evaluate their quality, but these problems exhibit themselves even when viewing a photo at its normal size if you're one to be looking for things to critique in a photo."

Has anyone come across this issue with their photos? If you have taken any photos like the ones mentioned above can you post them below?
    Am I just over thinking this issue? Help!
    03-09-2016 09:33 AM
    I never used the S6, but as somebody who is coming from an M8 I think it takes amazing pics. I wouldn't advocate printing out a 8x10 and hanging on the wall, but it handles 95% of what you are going to throw at it and looks good. I did have to take night shots in manual mode and mess with the settings a bit.

Edit: On a different forum I posted my thoughts on the phone with a few sample pics, you can see here http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/t...edge/62308696/
    skinneejay likes this.
    03-09-2016 09:39 AM
    If you're so worried about a camera phone, go out and buy a $100 point and shoot that takes way better pictures.
    03-09-2016 10:27 AM
    I had an S6 edge and now the S7 edge. No comparison in cameras to me. The S7 edge is far superior and is the first camera that exceeds the quality of my iPhone, especially in low light performance.
    SR45 and skinneejay like this.
    03-09-2016 10:59 AM
    Not sure why you're getting such cold responses. Guess the fan boyism is strong here

I have the S7 Edge. Previously owned the S6, S6 Edge+, and Note 5. The camera is DEFINITELY worse on the S7 Edge. It's not even debatable. Mine is using the Sony sensor too, not Samsung's.

It's exactly as the article you quoted describes. I don't care how many Samsung reviews say it's on par or better than the 16MP cameras in the S6/S6 Edge+/Note 5 phones. It's not. In fact, it's the most disappointing thing of the S7 Edge for me.

However, everything else about the S7 Edge is better than it's predecessors. It's easily the fastest phone I've ever used. Literally blows away every phone I've ever seen in regard to speed, including iPhones.

The camera is a step back IMO. And it's frustrating. Wish they would have left it alone. Oh and the low light shots? Meh. Nothing worth getting excited about. Still plenty of noise in the low light photos.
    skinneejay likes this.
    03-09-2016 11:03 AM
    Not sure why you're getting such cold responses. Guess the fan boyism is strong here

I have the S7 Edge. Previously owned the S6, S6 Edge+, and Note 5. The camera is DEFINITELY worse on the S7 Edge. It's not even debatable. Mine is using the Sony sensor too, not Samsung's.

It's exactly as the article you quoted describes. I don't care how many Samsung reviews say it's on par or better than the 16MP cameras in the S6/S6 Edge+/Note 5 phones. It's not. In fact, it's the most disappointing thing of the S7 Edge for me.

However, everything else about the S7 Edge is better than it's predecessors. It's easily the fastest phone I've ever used. Literally blows away every phone I've ever seen in regard to speed, including iPhones.

The camera is a step back IMO. And it's frustrating. Wish they would have left it alone. Oh and the low light shots? Meh. Nothing worth getting excited about. Still plenty of noise in the low light photos.
    Interesting, most of the reviews (Professional and non professional) have stated the camera is better or on par with the s6 with the exception of the fast focus, which is much better.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...7-s7-edge.html
    03-09-2016 11:38 AM
    Could be a photo processing issue right now. If there's definitely a problem, here's to hoping Samsung addresses the issue in an upcoming update.
    skinneejay likes this.
    03-09-2016 11:43 AM
    Idk if it was my phone, but my samsung s6 edge took horrible pics. Was a step down from my s5. S7 blows them both out of the water IMO.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    03-09-2016 11:54 AM
    Not sure who is saying what, but every YouTube or other review I have seen to far say the S7 camera is fantastic maybe the best camera on any smartphone.

I am also super skeptical of the "blurry picture" thing as I have seen videos of people just almost swinging the S7 around and it focused amazingly fast when they pressed the button.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    03-09-2016 12:37 PM
    Thank you for the reply. I'm hoping like some one else said that it's a processing issue. Which it could be. I would be really surprised if Samsung would let a worse camera go through. Do you have any photos that show this issue?
    SR45 likes this.
    03-09-2016 12:41 PM
    While the camera may be a step back from the S6 Edge+ I previously owned, I'm hoping it's a step up from my iPhone 6S+ - especially in low light. I take a lot of quick low-light photos and they never come out very crisp on the 6S+. Blurry even. Haven't had the chance to use the S7 Edge in similar situations yet. Will report back once I do.
    03-09-2016 12:47 PM
    Oh it's a step-up in regard to low light, no doubt. But nothing that makes it worth sacrificing the quality of normal photos. Auto mode is basically crap, and I am hoping it can be fixed. I took several more shots this morning to confirm, and the quality is definitely not there compared to my Note 5, S6 Edge+, S6, etc.

Not sure why the reviewers say different.. I mean you can see examples in the reviews online and I don't see anything worth bragging about.
    03-09-2016 12:57 PM
    I am starting to wonder after reading everyone's comments if this issue has to do with the two different sensors they used AGAIN!
    The Sony one and the ISOCELL. Have any of you checked to see which sensor you have?
    03-09-2016 12:59 PM
    I have the Sony. It looks like all of the American variants have our and Europe is a mix.
    03-09-2016 01:12 PM
    I never used the S6, but as somebody who is coming from an M8 I think it takes amazing pics. I wouldn't advocate printing out a 8x10 and hanging on the wall, but it handles 95% of what you are going to throw at it and looks good. I did have to take night shots in manual mode and mess with the settings a bit.

Edit: On a different forum I posted my thoughts on the phone with a few sample pics, you can see here My thoughts on the new Galaxy S7 Edge | TigerDroppings.com
    Thanks for the photo's on the other site. I can see the pixelation in the sky at dusk and how it just isn't as sharp in further away details.
    03-09-2016 01:23 PM
    For what it's worth, if you take 15%of the hype out from the camera you will be a happy camper. Don't keep comparing as it will give you dissonance. Use your phone until the S8.
    03-09-2016 01:30 PM
    I have the Isocell (I think) and so far I'm happy with the results. I'm an extremely casual photographer (read, I know nothing about photography and cameras) but still expect a phone camera to be there when I need it so I don't miss moments with my sons and so far so good.

The Nexus 5x let me down to often by not being ready and opening the app quickly and not focussing quickly enough. The S7 Edge takes quick and the pictures look good.

Granted I've had the phone a day and time will tell of course, but it seems good enough for my needs.
    skinneejay likes this.
    03-09-2016 01:37 PM
    That's beside the point I think when there are better quality cell phone cameras available.
    01-05-2017 10:35 PM
    What is beside the point? You know you woke up a 10 month old thread here, right? Nothing wrong with that, just saying.
    01-06-2017 07:29 AM