Changing Default Dialer on S7 Edge

Blacklance

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I cant seem to change the default phone app. I've gone to Applications/Default applications and changed Calling App to two different dialers (True Phone and True Dialer) but the default phone app still comes up when receiving calls and using widgets.

Anyone figured this out yet?

Thanks!

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I cant seem to change the default phone app. I've gone to Applications/Default applications and changed Calling App to two different dialers (True Phone and True Dialer) but the default phone app still comes up when receiving calls and using widgets.

Thanks!

Go into your contacts and pick some buddies phone number and press it to dial. There should be a pop up asking which dialer you want to use. Touch the one that you want then click always and that should do the trick.

Posted via the Android Central App

Blacklance

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you.

Before I try this, has anyone successfully changed their default dialer on the S7 yet? If so, I may do a factor reset and see if that does it.

Blacklance

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Problem replacing stock dialer!

Have this posted on other S7 forum but I actually have the edge.

I've downloaded two different phone dialers to replace stock, the phone will not either to become default.

I have gone into Applications/Default Applications/Calling App and have selected the new dialers multiple times and no go.

I followed another's advice to try to do it through Contacts and no go.

I have reset the phone to default status and tried again...no go.

Has anyone loaded a custom dialer on the S7 successfully? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I haven't been able to change this either. Whenever I get or make a call it launches the stock Samsung dialer -_-

Edit: Surprised there isn't more on this. I guess everyone's using the default stock dialer. Coming from a Lumia, I prefer the elegance of darker themes.

Last edited:

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to change this either. Whenever I get or make a call it launches the stock Samsung dialer -_-

Edit: Surprised there isn't more on this. I guess everyone's using the default stock dialer. Coming from a Lumia, I prefer the elegance of darker themes.

If you want a darker themed dialer, I would recommend installing a theme on your phone and applying it - something like Material Dark would do. I did this and my dialer is now a dark grey background with white numbers and greenish buttons.

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
If you want a darker themed dialer, I would recommend installing a theme on your phone and applying it - something like Material Dark would do. I did this and my dialer is now a dark grey background with white numbers and greenish buttons.

Yep this. I am using the same theme. i combined it with nova launcher and it's holo setting, for a full dark theme consistently across the UI.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The dialer has always been a sticking point for me when I don't have a Nexus device. I wish Google would open up the Nexus dialer without root.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yep this. I am using the same theme. i combined it with nova launcher and it's holo setting, for a full dark theme consistently across the UI.

Where's the holo setting in Nova?

I'm using the latest Beta of Nova Prime with it's night mode enabled always. That gives is a dark theme, too.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Went ahead and did that. I like the look. Was afraid to install a theme because of things I had read about Samsungs gradually becoming more laggy with age and customization. Although, the dialier in Material Dark still has a lot of white in its color scheme... when dialing and in-call for example.

I'm guessing the default dialer cannot be changed unless the launcher is changed? That's the only reason I can think of for that not working. Changing the default messaging app was a breeze.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and did that. I like the look. Was afraid to install a theme because of things I had read about Samsungs gradually becoming more laggy with age and customization. Although, the dialier in Material Dark still has a lot of white in its color scheme... when dialing and in-call for example.

I'm guessing the default dialer cannot be changed unless the launcher is changed? That's the only reason I can think of for that not working. Changing the default messaging app was a breeze.

Unfortunately the launcher does not have impact over the dialer - I am using Nova Prime, and I still have the stock Dialer. The dialer is like any other app on the phone, but it seems changing it is harder than other apps like your messaging or email apps.

tmello56

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

Settings>applications>default applications

Thats where you change the default dialer from "contacts" to whatever you choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance