Text messages turn different colors, why?

James Hornick

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I have been sending text messages and some messages turn yellow or light blue. Does anyone know what the color change indicates

Even received messages turn colors

It appears to me that in a single chat session if you or your respondant send two or more messages in a row without a response then they turn colors to let you know that your first message has not been answered.
If they respond then the original color returns.
If you close the chat app and reopen it this seems to reset it.

Jerseyb

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I have been sending text messages and some messages turn yellow or light blue. Does anyone know what the color change indicates

As far as I can tell this is a result of both you and the other person having the "Enhanced Messaging" feature turned on in your settings. (Comparable to the light blue and green bubbles on an iPhone when going between text and iMessage)

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
It's the enhanced messages option. One colour will determine it was sent via standard SMS whereas the other will show it's been sent through the internet instead. Tap on each colour and see which one says delivered

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Tetxra was always my favorite after using Handcent forever. But I didn't like having to be on mobile data and stuff not sending on wifi cause at work I had no good signal. I am on Sprint but I am fine with the regular messaging app that came with the phone. As long as I can have different sounds for people that text and I like the popup[ preview at the top I am good. I only used the others cause of the colored envelopes and making my own notification sound for each individual person so I am good now. But I used to get a yellowish orange/ pink flashing LED and I haven't seen it in a while. Never new what it was from now I only see green or blue flashing. I use Tweecaster Pro and it lets you pick a color but not many to choose from but mine is red so I get red for that. I forgot.
Messages+ is superior to Textra... Love that texts go over WiFi...

ShiningStar353

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
The texts I send are normally green and sometimes yellow (normally after long series of messages quickly). The messages from others are purple or light blue (long series). It makes me wonder if it didn't go through. I wonder if the background we pick affects it? Still reading down hoping to find the answer. :)

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here I used Handcent forever and now Textra always on my HTC M9. I love it! But now I am kind of liking the stock one on this Edge. I love how I change a theme and it changes and my keyboard changes. But my main thing with Textra and Handcent was the colored envelopes at the top for people and a special notification tone for each person which I just was told I can do on the stock app here. Well my friend with a Note 5 showed me where to go to set up a special notification for people and it didn't work I only hear the standard texting one I thought under contacts. I could set up a ringtone and a notification tone so I am going to use this for a bit and see how I like it even though I did download Textra and I may use it now. But I set my friends texting tone to something and it didn't work so maybe it can't be done in the stock app. I like how you can set a favorite at the top if the stock texting app too.

Edit: Turns out it worked I went under contacts and not only can you set a ringtone you can set a notification tone for someone. I just didn't save it and now it works. But I have my own ringtones and notfications in a folder on my old sd card I am hoping they show up when I go to select under contacts. My old phone would show me different things android and zedge and something else. But i had to reset my M9 and it didn't show my own ones anymore.

I can't get Textra to have different notifications on a "contact" basis. Can't get the stock message app to do it either. This is on an Edge S7. Both apps only seem to use the default.

Tems_waaka01

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I currently have the same problem on my note 5. If one person were to text me multiple times, the first txt message I receive is black but the second message is light blue and vice versa, except my second txt will be yellow.
Did you ever figure out why this is happening? How do I change it? Its annoying cos sometimes I can't read the incoming message. I have to copy and paste else where just to read it..

Kathy Martinez1

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
OK so I went back to default and it seems as if all my messages are standard light blue and yellow... I guess this is why everyone was telling me to use an outside app..and it was the theme switching back and forth in color. So now it does suckered to have just have the option of blue and yellow text.

I have always had a theme on my previous "S" models so I never paid attention to the text colorway. But when I had an S6 edge you could at least pick between a few the text bar schemes...I guess that feature is now gone... so mystery solved. I was beating myself up for my own theme

Posted via the Android Central App

Omg thank you so much for this... I was having the same problem and didn't understand why the background of certain text would get a yellow or green background color while others remained the same. I switched the theme from igalaxy to default and it went back to normal..now just have to get used to the old theme. Thank you!

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if it is of any help, but in the default message app you can click 'more' then settings, then backgrounds and you get some different options for background colours. That said, I use what comes as standard and it doesn't wreck my day. I've also noticed some colour changes if messages fail to be sent.

John Farabaugh

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site

Yes,,i had same problem. Found a post from Samsung that the other user is using a chat service like imessage or message+. Therefore show in different color