Samsung promotion status.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You can use the watch as 3g bluetooth only. I tried it for a few days. Everything worked great. But I noticed that I wasn't getting the initial Verizon update that came with the watch. I added the 3g option and received the update with more watch face options, unread notifications, and a few extras. Bottom line: You can use the watch as bluetooth only but you won't receive any updates unless you are connected to 3g.

That stinks you pretty much have to add the 3g to get updates. There's no way to do it any other way? What all did the update consist of?

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
You can use the watch as 3g bluetooth only. I tried it for a few days. Everything worked great. But I noticed that I wasn't getting the initial Verizon update that came with the watch. I added the 3g option and received the update with more watch face options, unread notifications, and a few extras. Bottom line: You can use the watch as bluetooth only but you won't receive any updates unless you are connected to 3g.

Is 3g required to add or change watch faces? Or can you do that without 3G?

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
That stinks you pretty much have to add the 3g to get updates. There's no way to do it any other way? What all did the update consist of?

This update includes new features, performance improvements, and bug fixes.
Add new applications: World Clock, ESPN, News Briefing
Add new watch faces: Mendini watch faces
Add search function in the Contacts application
Add new screen time out Setting (Settings - Display - Screen timeout)
Show an unread notification indicator on the watch face
Alert shown when Bluetooth connection is disconnected
Enter emojis directly using the keyboard
You should upgrade the Samsung Gear application to the latest version for this update
Some changes may vary depending on countries

Wouldn't you be able to get the update via wifi???

I'm sure you could, but how would Verizon know you have the watch? Its a Verizon watch update, not Samsung. Im sure Samsung has the same update but you have a Verizon branded watch. Hope this makes sense.

Is 3g required to add or change watch faces? Or can you do that without 3G?

Not required to change watch faces. You can change watch faces without 3G.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure you could, but how would Verizon know you have the watch? Its a Verizon watch update, not Samsung. Im sure Samsung has the same update but you have a Verizon branded watch. Hope this makes sense.

Simple, 3g and wifi are both types of internet connections. If the update app is programmed to connect to Verizon, it should be able to regardless of connection type. Also, if you connect to your phone through Bluetooth, Verizon could now that way.

Rygots

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Was able to update without 3G on my S2. I get notifications, etc as well. Just need to make sure its configured that way on the Gear app.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
OMG. FedEx is saying I have a package coming to me from Birghtpoint. Label created 04/13/2016. Arriving 04/19/2016. I requested the GS2. The shipping weight is 0.9 pounds.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It kind of seems like everyone got that status change today. Did anyone NOT get it?

If that's the case (everyone) the pessimist in me says this doesn't actually mean anything.

I means SOMETHING... I'm still sitting at "Shipping estimate pending" for the 3rd or 4th week...

eddiechi

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
OMG. FedEx is saying I have a package coming to me from Birghtpoint. Label created 04/13/2016. Arriving 04/19/2016. I requested the GS2. The shipping weight is 0.9 pounds.

Received fedex notice for 2nd S2 to be delivered last night.....the first one was 2.4lbs the second one is now listed at .9lbs....fedex2.JPG

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Was able to update without 3G on my S2. I get notifications, etc as well. Just need to make sure its configured that way on the Gear app.

I didn't mean NOT getting notifications. I meant unread notifications. Before the update there is no way to know if you have unread notifications on your watch. After the update there is a little orange circle indicating unread notifications.

eddiechi

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I didn't mean NOT getting notifications. I meant unread notifications. Before the update there is no way to know if you have unread notifications on your watch. After the update there is a little orange circle indicating unread notifications.

Mine updated as soon as I connected S2 to the Gear App on my phone....... no 3G needed on S2 for update. Woke up this morning to that little orange circle next to the "9" on watch dial which was a CNN unread notification from last night Golden State won 73 games.....

koppins

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Received my Gear VR 2 days ago. I had received an approval letter but the Gear was delivered without a shipping confirmation. I'm setting it up today and going to give it a try!

Rygots

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Correct and if you read and/or dismiss it on your phone, it goes away from the watch. I like that feature :)

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I contacted Verizon to discontinue my extra line today and they told me to go to a corporate store and bug them for a S2 since I hadn't received mine. My other option, according to her, was to bug the life out of Samsung. What a great sense of humor haha.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Even though I redeemed for a S2. It's still funny.

Attachments

• 2129.jpg
    2129.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 116

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
At the close of our conversation she told me to bring documentation that I submitted for the offer and it hasn't been fulfilled to a corporate store. I forgot to screen shot it. But I might give it a shot.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind that I still don't have mine (today or yesterday marked 1 month since approval) but it does bother me that I seem to be the only one that A) never got ANY email communications throughout the promo and B) still have "Shipping Date Estimate: Pending" as my current status on both S2's... I at LEAST got an email response confirming that they do show 2 S2's for me though (about a week after I replied to a canned response asking for that confirmation).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude