05-22-2016 07:53 PM
89 1234
tools
    Snapdragon version here. Very happy with performance so far. Only thing bothering me a little bit is how sensitive the screen is. Anybody experiencing issues with Chrome, have you ever tried Chrome Beta or Chrome Developer editions? Both available in the Google Play store.
    03-10-2016 12:21 PM
    You must have some sort of software issue OP because mine scrolls like butter in Droid Life website with Chrome browser. I just checked. 60 fps buttery goodness.

Do you have Snapdragon? I have Exynos.
    03-10-2016 01:01 PM
    You must have some sort of software issue OP because mine scrolls like butter in Droid Life website with Chrome browser. I just checked. 60 fps buttery goodness.

Do you have Snapdragon? I have Exynos.
    Well, I tried that website as well just for the heck of it and it's buttery smooth on Chrome here as well.
    03-10-2016 01:20 PM
    I'm on Verizon as well coming from a Nexus 6p and I thought maybe I was just being super anal or something but I'm definitely not happy with the performance so far. I get tons of stuttering while scrolling web pages as well as mini 5-10 second lock ups.

I'll give it a week or so and if it doesn't improve or no ota I'll factory reset and try again or swap out for another phone. I was pretty pumped for this phone and I love the way it looks and feels but after one day I'm already seriously considering going back to my Nexus.
    03-10-2016 01:39 PM
    I'm on Verizon as well coming from a Nexus 6p and I thought maybe I was just being super anal or something but I'm definitely not happy with the performance so far. I get tons of stuttering while scrolling web pages as well as mini 5-10 second lock ups.

I'll give it a week or so and if it doesn't improve or no ota I'll factory reset and try again or swap out for another phone. I was pretty pumped for this phone and I love the way it looks and feels but after one day I'm already seriously considering going back to my Nexus.
    It must be the Verizon bloatware because I'm experiencing the exact opposite of what you're describing. Performance has been blisteringly fast. When people describe their Nexus 6P, that's exactly how I'd describe this new S7 of mine.
    03-10-2016 02:44 PM
    It must be the Verizon bloatware because I'm experiencing the exact opposite of what you're describing. Performance has been blisteringly fast. When people describe their Nexus 6P, that's exactly how I'd describe this new S7 of mine.
    I have Verizon and am having no such issues. Not a lot of bloatware either - thought I've disabled most of what there is.
    03-10-2016 02:46 PM
    Alto is running smooth on my UK version (exynos). Chrome is a little choppy now and again but better than it was on the Nexus 5x. Chrome Beta is near perfect.
    03-10-2016 02:52 PM
    In short, i'm a little concerned.
    Take a deep breath, step off away from the edge...

You aren't the only one that has noticed dropped frames and a bit more UI jank on the S7 when compared to the 6P. I think XDA did a stress test to see how the S7 (SD820) handled heavy loads and if/how it throttled....Turns out it handled repeated benchmark runs like a beast and nary lowered a single score (GPU throttled a bit, but the new SoC went full tilt, full time). That being said, they did say that when the started looking at the overall UI performance, not under heavy load, but in those mundane, light duty day to day tasks that we are doing most of the time.... they noticed dropped frames, random stutters and skips and blink of an eye freezes in window transitions, etc. The S7, even with its more powerful internals, still isn't as smooth and fluid as the 6P.

But nothing is as smooth and fluid as the 6P.

It's just the nature of the beast. Samsung stuffs a whole lot of stuff on top of the base Android code, and all those new windows, UI modifications, there's a price to be paid. I'm sure I'll notice it when my wife's S7 comes in and I play around with it and give it a good once over.... but I won't care very much. It'll still be a fast phone and handle everything you throw at it without much fuss.
    03-10-2016 02:57 PM
    Tmo Snapdragon S7E no issues with mine it has worked perfectly for a week now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-10-2016 03:09 PM

I've tried it with and without the Verizon/Samsung bloatware being disabled. No difference so far. Hoping for an ota or that I just got a bad phone.
    03-10-2016 03:19 PM

Chrome and Firefox were extremely laggy and had a lot of stuttering for me. Everything else is smooth, so I'm assuming they just haven't been optimized yet. Hopefully tomorrow Samsung will allow us to download their browser, because Verizon is a dip**** for removing yet another feature.
    03-10-2016 03:24 PM
    I've tried it with and without the Verizon/Samsung bloatware being disabled. No difference so far. Hoping for an ota or that I just got a bad phone.
    Chrome and Firefox were extremely laggy and had a lot of stuttering for me. Everything else is smooth, so I'm assuming they just haven't been optimized yet. Hopefully tomorrow Samsung will allow us to down their browser, because Verizon is a dip**** for removing yet another feature.
    Sounds like Chrome isn't optimised for Snapdragon 820 yet in that case. On my Exynos unit, Chrome is buttery smooth (as is Samsung's own browser).
    03-10-2016 03:26 PM

If you're coming from a Nexus, chances are you are never going to adapt to a Samsung. Stick with your Nexus, I'm serious. I have a 6P and a Note 5 and they are as different as night and day. But I'm use to Samsung's take on Android. It's never going to be like your Nexus. Never.

03-10-2016 03:27 PM

Scrolling depends on the app, but I definitely don't see any 10 second lag whatsoever
    03-10-2016 03:28 PM
    Sounds like Chrome isn't optimised for Snapdragon 820 yet in that case. On my Exynos unit, Chrome is buttery smooth (as is Samsung's own browser).
    Gonna repeat it just in case - I have a Snapdragon, I have Verizon, I have no problems using Chrome. So let's not overgeneralize.
    Cakefish likes this.
    03-10-2016 03:56 PM
    stock browser + ad block fast = butter

820 snap for me. T-mobile.

03-10-2016 04:31 PM
    If you're coming from a Nexus, chances are you are never going to adapt to a Samsung. Stick with your Nexus, I'm serious. I have a 6P and a Note 5 and they are as different as night and day. But I'm use to Samsung's take on Android. It's never going to be like your Nexus. Never.

I've had just about every flagship phone in the last 7 years. I know how Samsung is and how laggy touchwhiz can be... I had an s6 edge, an s6 edge + and a note 5 in addition to the v10, g4, moto x and Nexus 6p I've had in the last ~8 months or so. I can live with a little delay when moving from a Nexus, what I'm experiencing with the s7 edge is much worse. The kind that is usually fixed shortly after release with an ota or means the phone is defective.

TLDR: I'm well aware of what I'm getting into with a Samsung phone, this is not that.
    03-10-2016 04:55 PM
    Gonna repeat it just in case - I have a Snapdragon, I have Verizon, I have no problems using Chrome. So let's not overgeneralize.
    Good to hear!
    03-10-2016 05:06 PM
    I've had just about every flagship phone in the last 7 years. I know how Samsung is and how laggy touchwhiz can be... I had an s6 edge, an s6 edge + and a note 5 in addition to the v10, g4, moto x and Nexus 6p I've had in the last ~8 months or so. I can live with a little delay when moving from a Nexus, what I'm experiencing with the s7 edge is much worse. The kind that is usually fixed shortly after release with an ota or means the phone is defective.

TLDR: I'm well aware of what I'm getting into with a Samsung phone, this is not that.
    I gotcha.

03-10-2016 05:37 PM
    I tried a demo unit (if that counts) at a local telco office and so far it's smooth as butter. Would like to try the waterproof feature!
    03-10-2016 08:29 PM
    I have a 6s plus and been an exclusive iphone user for 7 years. I'm bored with Apple. They are great mind you I just want a change but not if battery life is worse. I'm thinking of switching at TMobile tomorrow. Any thoughts on iOS vs Androis and good and bad experiences? Thanks.
    03-10-2016 10:55 PM
    I have a 6s plus and been an exclusive iphone user for 7 years. I'm bored with Apple. They are great mind you I just want a change but not if battery life is worse. I'm thinking of switching at TMobile tomorrow. Any thoughts on iOS vs Androis and good and bad experiences? Thanks.
    You won't get the smoothness of the iPhone. Nor the consistently fast speeds when performing tasks.

Everything else is better. I have both phones and absolutely love the S7E.
    03-10-2016 10:58 PM
    It's totally cool that people are satisfied. I want to say that the frame drops I experience in Alto's adventure is probably more subtle than I let on in my original post and it may require you having a 6P next to you and playing it to notice the difference. Not everyone has the luxury of another phone to sit side by side and decide which one is better performing.

Something just feels off, and it takes something like a Nexus to have you notice it. Something about the underlying graphics on the phone just seems wonky. like the S7's interface is like a really fast swimmer, and the Nexus is like a fast runner. Little hitches, and slower less responsive scrolling, coupled with accidental link presses on Chrome. The games are performing equal to the 6P and sometimes worse, especially with endless runners. Ski Safari 2 was another one I saw slightly better performance on the 6P.

So you can say i'm being hugely nitpicky, and that's ok. I know lots of people are super excited about the phone, so if you're happy, i'm not telling to not be happy. Disregard my opinion and enjoy the phone. But for me, at $800, with a 30% faster CPU and a 80%+ faster single core performance, along with Samsung's claims to have worked with Google to optimize Touchwiz, this phone should at least be equal to the $450 Nexus 6P at launch. I was expecting that when I ordered it and I shouldn't have expected anything less.

What I have is a fantastic camera, SD card expandability, beautiful display, beautiful build quality, waterproof and now I have to decide if all that is worth it over an underperforming software experience and a touchy interface.

Now you know why the iPhone sells a billion units a year. People don't usually have to figure out these tradeoffs when they get an iPhone.
    Dukins likes this.
    03-10-2016 11:22 PM
    It's totally cool that people are satisfied. I want to say that the frame drops I experience in Alto's adventure is probably more subtle than I let on in my original post and it may require you having a 6P next to you and playing it to notice the difference. Not everyone has the luxury of another phone to sit side by side and decide which one is better performing.

Something just feels off, and it takes something like a Nexus to have you notice it. Something about the underlying graphics on the phone just seems wonky. like the S7's interface is like a really fast swimmer, and the Nexus is like a fast runner. Little hitches, and slower less responsive scrolling, coupled with accidental link presses on Chrome. The games are performing equal to the 6P and sometimes worse, especially with endless runners. Ski Safari 2 was another one I saw slightly better performance on the 6P.

So you can say i'm being hugely nitpicky, and that's ok. I know lots of people are super excited about the phone, so if you're happy, i'm not telling to not be happy. Disregard my opinion and enjoy the phone. But for me, at $800, with a 30% faster CPU and a 80%+ faster single core performance, along with Samsung's claims to have worked with Google to optimize Touchwiz, this phone should at least be equal to the $450 Nexus 6P at launch. I was expecting that when I ordered it and I shouldn't have expected anything less.

What I have is a fantastic camera, SD card expandability, beautiful display, beautiful build quality, waterproof and now I have to decide if all that is worth it over an underperforming software experience and a touchy interface.

Now you know why the iPhone sells a billion units a year. People don't usually have to figure out these tradeoffs when they get an iPhone.
    I don't have them to compare side by side (though I've used them both), but I just can't imagine the Edge with that Adreno 530 not being able to outperform the 6P in gaming. As far as Chrome goes, the 6P is optimized for Chrome where the Edge is optimized for the Samsung browser. The Samsung browser flies on this phone. Even in general, there's nothing about the Edge that doesn't move as quick as the 6P. I know the consensus is always that "stock is better", and I agree to an extent, but there's not a performance issue with this device. Wouldn't be a Samsung launch if you didn't have people claiming problems, though.

03-10-2016 11:39 PM

Honestly, if your phone is showing lag that goes beyond that of an S6, there's something wrong on the hardware side of things. I'm no Samsung fanboi in any way and if there's one thing I hate in a phone it's lag. I've returned or sold numerous phones in the past for this reason, including a variety of Samsung models. I'm coming from an iPhone 6S Plus, which was absolutely buttery smooth. The S7 EDGE is not 100% as smooth as the iPhone, but it's really fast - I honestly don't see any kind of stutter or lag and scrolling ranges from fairly smooth to completely smooth, even in apps like Tapatalk that aren't completely smooth on the iPhone, either.
    03-10-2016 11:47 PM
89 1234