05-22-2016 07:53 PM
89 1234
tools
    Honestly, if your phone is showing lag that goes beyond that of an S6, there's something wrong on the hardware side of things. I'm no Samsung fanboi in any way and if there's one thing I hate in a phone it's lag. I've returned or sold numerous phones in the past for this reason, including a variety of Samsung models. I'm coming from an iPhone 6S Plus, which was absolutely buttery smooth. The S7 EDGE is not 100% as smooth as the iPhone, but it's really fast - I honestly don't see any kind of stutter or lag and scrolling ranges from fairly smooth to completely smooth, even in apps like Tapatalk that aren't completely smooth on the iPhone, either.
    Comparisons to the iPhone as far as speed goes makes sense. It's a minimalistic UI with a lower res display and extremely powerful hardware---performance has a good shot at being a tad better with that setup. That said, I have a 6S to compare this to and it's faster in some areas and slower in others. Feel the same way if I compared the 6S and 6P, but more in the iPhone's favor.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-10-2016 11:56 PM
    RSBrowser runs like crap on my Verizon S7e. It's supposed to be optimized for Snapdragon SoC but I think that was older models. I need to switch browsers.
    03-11-2016 12:15 PM
    Please, please, please, can posters start detailing which model of Galaxy S7 Edge they have, Global or U.S./China, and which carrier they are on. Otherwise it makes posts on here pointless as there are 2 different Galaxy S7 Edge hardwares and at least 7 different firmwares and not all performances or issues will affect all models and firmwares equally, necessarily.

"Think all Galaxy S7 Edge models are the same...
    Think again!"
    This is a good point as most issues seem to be from the heavily branded US models where the suppliers muck up the phones with their customisations. In the UK we get therm unlocked and don't seem to get as many problems as the Americans.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.
    03-11-2016 12:44 PM
    Just a heads up if you want to see if the phone is dropping frames, go into developers options and turn on profile GPU rendering and select on screen as bars. You will see a green line, any bars over the green line means the UI is dropping frames
    03-11-2016 12:46 PM
    I'm sure it will improve with updates
    03-11-2016 03:03 PM
    RSBrowser runs like crap on my Verizon S7e. It's supposed to be optimized for Snapdragon SoC but I think that was older models. I need to switch browsers.
    Makes sense. New SoC, all new custom CPU cores. Most likely new libraries to take advantage of it.
    xocomaox likes this.
    03-11-2016 03:06 PM
    Which Samsung is known for pushing out to phones in a timely manner. Not.

If there's one thing I've come to know, it's that waiting for Samsung to update stuff is like waiting for that new release of Duke Nukem.
    03-11-2016 03:27 PM
    What are those?
    03-11-2016 05:13 PM
    Just a heads up if you want to see if the phone is dropping frames, go into developers options and turn on profile GPU rendering and select on screen as bars. You will see a green line, any bars over the green line means the UI is dropping frames
    Yeah XDA ran that graph and it definitely showed more severe frame dropping on the S7. Some people (me) are more sensitive to that than others.
    03-11-2016 05:15 PM
    Yeah XDA ran that graph and it definitely showed more severe frame dropping on the S7. Some people (me) are more sensitive to that than others.
    For which processor?
    03-11-2016 11:41 PM
    Hi everyone,

Just got my S7 edge today and so far it's working really well it's fast smooth and the battery is strong

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-11-2016 11:58 PM
    ...never underestimate Samsung's lack of software optimization. I've had the Galaxy S6 for 11 months, and it's felt like I've taken a step back from when I had the HTC One M8, which is why I've decided to wait for the HTC 10 before deciding on a device.
    03-12-2016 11:18 AM
    My s7 edge has been fine so far. I noticed it dropping frames on reckless racing 3 while my older xperia z2 plays the game fine. Information act I did a side by side comparison of opening apps and to be honest it's very close in terms of speed to my old phone. Games load up quicker on the edge through.

Posted via S7 edge 😍
    03-12-2016 11:36 AM
    All samsung 6.0.1 suffers from game lag problem, almost all games will lag after a bit, if u minimize it and maximize it will play fine for a sec, disabling gameservice helps a bit.

I know this 100% accurate, since on mine Note 5 same thing happens on 6.0.1 but never on 5.1.1.
    03-12-2016 11:44 AM
    ...never underestimate Samsung's lack of software optimization. I've had the Galaxy S6 for 11 months, and it's felt like I've taken a step back from when I had the HTC One M8, which is why I've decided to wait for the HTC 10 before deciding on a device.
    Oh yeh I fully agree with this, when I moved from the HTC M7 to the S6 the software felt like a downgrade. M7 is still my favourite phone ever, hopefully HTC can get it right this year.

dreaming of electric sheep
    03-12-2016 03:38 PM
    I haven't noticed any lag on my phone - scrolling seems to be great. I don't really do games so can't speak to that.

I do notice as one person mentioned that the screen is ultra-sensitive and especially having the S7 Edge model (on Verizon), I accidentally open apps semi-regularly even with a thin case on it.

And at the moment, I don't see much use in the S-Panel - might be useful if it supported native Android Shortcuts API so you could add shortcuts from installed apps that have them (like Tasker for example to trigger tasker tasks).

But overall, I'm loving the phone and feel it is the premium Android phone it was meant to be.
    03-15-2016 04:51 PM
    For gamers, Samsung had an interesting announcement in the form of support for Vulkan API support. This basically helps the multiple cores take better advantage during gaming. We will need to play some high end games to see how well it performs and at the same time, how well it manages the heat while at it.
    03-16-2016 02:32 AM
    Powerhouse of a phone!

Mike adez likes this.
    03-16-2016 04:47 AM
    I'm also sure of that as I have the same experience with Samsung flagships... However, since Samsung has improved its hardware and design since the S5 and the Note 3, I'd expect them to work a little harder on the software side of things. Maybe they need to hire more/better developers.
    03-16-2016 06:22 AM
    I'm also sure of that as I have the same experience with Samsung flagships... However, since Samsung has improved its hardware and design since the S5 and the Note 3, I'd expect them to work a little harder on the software side of things. Maybe they need to hire more/better developers.
    They have improved the S7. It's more consistent than the S6 ever was. Relative to itself, the S7 is a success and has stomped on performance problems decently.

My expectations are that for $800, I shouldn't experience slight framerate dips on 2D sidescrollers, I shouldn't experience hitches in Chrome and I shouldn't under-perform with loading pages compared to a $450 phone. Why are these compromises we're ok with on the android platform? So we can edit settings and change up the interface? The iPhone is slowly gaining the advantages Android has and the performance is out of this world on those phones. Samsung has put out something that is beautiful and powerful, but until it's on par with stock android phones when it comes to 60FPS performance, it's just never going to be something I drop almost a thousand bucks for. I'm all about speed and smoothness, and I think the performance to dollar value is still not there with the S7, but they are making progress.

And for those who wonder why I don't use an iPhone, it's because the interface is insanely boring and the phone is really boring to use. Google passed Apple in design with lollipop.
    cdd543 likes this.
    03-16-2016 02:13 PM
    OP Is not crazy. 820 on Verizon here (S7 Edge), and can confirm all the behaviors indicated.

This phone (like every Samsung Galaxy I've ever used) has a buttery problem. That is, things are just not buttery smooth. In most cases, most people don't notice it. Either they aren't bothered by the microstutter or don't care about it. But for those of us who do care and are used to either iPhone devices or Nexus devices, it's particularly terrible.

Just to clarify - I noticed microstutter in Alto's adventure within the first 5 seconds. It is constant and persistent and I find it annoying in a way that doesn't seem quite rational (it's like a constant tick that won't stop). I'm comparing performance to an iPhone 6s Plus where it is flawless.

Additionally, I find that Chrome is and always has been a non-starter for smoothness on Galaxy phones and it hasn't changed with the S7 edge. I expected that. The gaming performance/lag bothers me immensely. It makes me think that Samsung has fundamentally altered the rendering software on the phone or has fundamentally altered the phones behavior in another way. With it's focus on power saving in games, I wonder if they haven't attempted to implement a truly dynamic clock speed scaling implementation that can't keep up with fast games. For example, in Altos Adventure, this would explain why slowdown occurs as soon as something even minorly intensive starts to happen.

That's all speculation however. All I can really say is that there is an issue with rendering on my phone (and OPs phone). Additionally, disabling the two Game Services as identified in the XDA Forums gaming performance thread did not solve the issue (although it did solve the automatic screen saturation issue).

In short OP: You aren't alone, there is a problem, I don't think most people can perceive the problem in it's "minor' forms, and I am only holding out hope that Samsung fixes the game rendering issue... I hold no such hope for Chrome.
    03-16-2016 02:49 PM
    They have improved the S7. It's more consistent than the S6 ever was. Relative to itself, the S7 is a success and has stomped on performance problems decently.

My expectations are that for $800, I shouldn't experience slight framerate dips on 2D sidescrollers, I shouldn't experience hitches in Chrome and I shouldn't under-perform with loading pages compared to a $450 phone. Why are these compromises we're ok with on the android platform? So we can edit settings and change up the interface? The iPhone is slowly gaining the advantages Android has and the performance is out of this world on those phones. Samsung has put out something that is beautiful and powerful, but until it's on par with stock android phones when it comes to 60FPS performance, it's just never going to be something I drop almost a thousand bucks for. I'm all about speed and smoothness, and I think the performance to dollar value is still not there with the S7, but they are making progress.

And for those who wonder why I don't use an iPhone, it's because the interface is insanely boring and the phone is really boring to use. Google passed Apple in design with lollipop.
    I have a hard time making comparisons to the iPhone because of the resolution differences. Samsung still has a ways to go with their software, but the consensus is always "Man I wish it was stock". I had both the 6P and 5X and neither of them are perfect in the performance department, either---especially the 5X. Now obviously there's a price difference, as you pointed out already, but there's so many other things that go into that price that make the Edge price worth it.

Slowly but surely, the S and Note lines are getting better software-wise, but I'm hoping next year it's their primary focus. They added back in the SD card, they brought back and improved the water resistance/dust resistance, and they found a way to increase battery size substantially without sacrificing too much on the design front. I think the last real complaint is Touchwiz and if that's what they're going to focus on this year, the S8 could be a phone that brings back a lot of people.
    03-16-2016 03:04 PM
    I have a hard time making comparisons to the iPhone because of the resolution differences. Samsung still has a ways to go with their software, but the consensus is always "Man I wish it was stock". I had both the 6P and 5X and neither of them are perfect in the performance department, either---especially the 5X. Now obviously there's a price difference, as you pointed out already, but there's so many other things that go into that price that make the Edge price worth it.

Slowly but surely, the S and Note lines are getting better software-wise, but I'm hoping next year it's their primary focus. They added back in the SD card, they brought back and improved the water resistance/dust resistance, and they found a way to increase battery size substantially without sacrificing too much on the design front. I think the last real complaint is Touchwiz and if that's what they're going to focus on this year, the S8 could be a phone that brings back a lot of people.
    I have a 6P and my wife an S7.... It really didn't take too long to notice that there were some overall differences in how the phones each felt. The S7 is blazing quick, but it's also rough, surprisingly so... frame drops, stutters, weird little pops and wheezing that I don't see nearly as much as the 6P. Not saying that performance-wise, I never once see a burp or hiccup on the 6P, but they occur in far less frequency and severity as I see on the S7. Best way I can describe it is like having a really fast sports car that has some fuel mapping issues and misfires a little when you are putzing about town.

Now, it's hard to determine the whys here.... To get a good idea as to what Samsung is doing here, you'd have to be able to get into the kernel and play around. I have a suspicion that they are being really heavy on the race to idle... and try to avoid higher cpu states when at all possible and dropping down quicker than they really need... but it's moot since you need root access, system read/write access AND the ability to flash a custom kernel, all of which probably will never occur with the S7.
    03-17-2016 10:18 AM
    I have a 6P and my wife an S7.... It really didn't take too long to notice that there were some overall differences in how the phones each felt. The S7 is blazing quick, but it's also rough, surprisingly so... frame drops, stutters, weird little pops and wheezing that I don't see nearly as much as the 6P. Not saying that performance-wise, I never once see a burp or hiccup on the 6P, but they occur in far less frequency and severity as I see on the S7. Best way I can describe it is like having a really fast sports car that has some fuel mapping issues and misfires a little when you are putzing about town.

Now, it's hard to determine the whys here.... To get a good idea as to what Samsung is doing here, you'd have to be able to get into the kernel and play around. I have a suspicion that they are being really heavy on the race to idle... and try to avoid higher cpu states when at all possible and dropping down quicker than they really need... but it's moot since you need root access, system read/write access AND the ability to flash a custom kernel, all of which probably will never occur with the S7.
    Well the difference is definitely in the software. When you take Android as a baseline and then add on as much as Samsung does, it's not surprising that there would be some performance differences. It's the same type of differences you see between iOS and stock Android---when one has more built into it and more functionality, it tends not to perform at the same level. I agree it probably has a lot to do with not pushing the CPU too far on less intensive tasks, but that's only part of it. The Exynos is built just for that, but seemingly has the same issues. Guess we'll have to see.
    03-17-2016 11:24 AM
    Well the difference is definitely in the software.
    Oh, it's the software... a combination of how Samsung configures their kernels and the Touchwiz slathering Android in digital molasses. The Exynos isn't going to fair any different.
    03-17-2016 03:59 PM
89 1234