S7 Performance - Impressions

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I finally got the S7 Edge and I wanted to discuss the performance of the device. I've debloated it, installed all my apps, put on my favorite games and have used it for a solid 3 hours, browsing the web and playing games. I've also used it side by side with my Nexus 6P, comparing the speed in which apps open, in how games run and the overall comparison of Samsung's tweaks, and it's superior hardware to the stock performance of the Nexus 6P. So how has the Samsung faired so far?

In short, i'm a little concerned.

The S7 Edge is dropping frames, sometimes in situations where i'm not sure it should be doing that. Playing Altos adventure has resulted in framerate hiccups when there's a lot of deer on the screen, with little snags here and there when lots of coins are being collected. The Nexus 6P did not show any performance drops that I saw when playing back to back. Banana Kong has slight hitches when lots of bananas are being collected (this is a much simpler 2D sprite based game) or when the banana peel pile is catching up to him. The Nexus 6P did not show those issues. In Mikey Boots, both the 6P and the S7 Edge had slowdown, but the Edge was much more severe in this regard.

Scrolling websites like Droid-Life with both the 6P and S7 Edge resulted in the S7 Edge showing glaring scrolling stutters where the 6P did not. Using an app like Slickdeals resulted in poorer scrolling performance on the S7 to the Nexus and it was pretty noticeable. The S7 Edge struggles badly to render an MKBHD Youtube video at 1440p, even though I had no issues on the Nexus with 1440p video playback.

The positives? The S7 Edge loads apps and games up to 2x faster depending on what you're doing. But that's the silver lining in what I consider a pretty poor showing right out of the gate. Does Samsung have some sort of week 1 patch they are pushing out? If not, i'm considering this a dud as a performance minded user.

Sorry guys :-\

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Try it again, but this time give it a some time to settle down after all the install of apps, and the first time use. Tell us again a day or so later.

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Try it again, but this time give it a some time to settle down after all the install of apps, and the first time use. Tell us again a day or so later.

Oh yeah i'll be using it through the week and seeing how it goes. Though i'm not sure what will happen if the device has a day to settle. Everything has been installed and nothing is going on in the background.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the battery drains a little quicker than my iPhone 6s Plus, but that's expected because I just got the phone today. I'm going to give it a day or two to calm down before getting a better estimate of battery use.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Are you using Chrome? Because I have found that for some reason, Samsung and Chrome make a horrible pairing. So much so that I ended up disabling it on my Note 5 and going with the stock Samsung browser that gives fast and smooth Web browsing.

Posted via the Android Central App

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Are you using Chrome? Because I have found that for some reason, Samsung and Chrome make a horrible pairing. So much so that I ended up disabling it on my Note 5 and going with the stock Samsung browser that gives fast and smooth Web browsing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah it's Chrome. It's the Verizon version.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Also doing a Nexus 6P VS S7E. I'll report back. I'd love to burst out of the box, but right now I'm leaning toward my Nexus which I'll explain when I come back to once I break in the S7E.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Also doing a Nexus 6P VS S7E. I'll report back. I'd love to burst out of the box, but right now I'm leaning toward my Nexus which I'll explain when I come back to once I break in the S7E.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom

I plan on doing the exact same thing once I receive the S7 Edge I ordered from T-Mobile. Ordered it last week but it's still "Processing". Let me know what you find/think if it's not too much trouble.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Please, please, please, can posters start detailing which model of Galaxy S7 Edge they have, Global or U.S./China, and which carrier they are on. Otherwise it makes posts on here pointless as there are 2 different Galaxy S7 Edge hardwares and at least 7 different firmwares and not all performances or issues will affect all models and firmwares equally, necessarily.

"Think all Galaxy S7 Edge models are the same...
Think again!"

Last edited: