S7 Performance - Impressions

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I can understand the scrolling issue if you're using Chrome, but it somehow not performing as well in gaming as the 6P seems odd. The CPU/GPU gains over the 6P are significant and the screen resolution is the same. I don't see the 6P outperforming the S7 Edge in that department. Hopefully something isn't wrong with your device. So far (AT&T S7 Edge/Snapdragon 820) mine has been excellent performance-wise. No stutters or lags in UI navigation, stock browser is very smooth, and absolutely zero keyboard lag.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I noticed the battery drains a little quicker than my iPhone 6s Plus, but that's expected because I just got the phone today. I'm going to give it a day or two to calm down before getting a better estimate of battery use.

Same here and not to happy about it. Give the phone full 13 days before I make any rash decsions.

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Exynos here and working great in games compared to my nexus 6p. Tried dead effect 2. Alto. Tomb raider. Hit man. Lego games. All running as well if not better.than nexus 6p

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
At least the Exynos version is blazingly fast. But the 6P is very lean and Chrome is optimized to the hardware on that one, so no surprise it might be even faster in some situations. But I'm still very impressed with the S7 EDGE's performance

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Snapdragon version here. Very happy with performance so far. Only thing bothering me a little bit is how sensitive the screen is. Anybody experiencing issues with Chrome, have you ever tried Chrome Beta or Chrome Developer editions? Both available in the Google Play store.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
You must have some sort of software issue OP because mine scrolls like butter in Droid Life website with Chrome browser. I just checked. 60 fps buttery goodness.

Do you have Snapdragon? I have Exynos.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You must have some sort of software issue OP because mine scrolls like butter in Droid Life website with Chrome browser. I just checked. 60 fps buttery goodness.

Do you have Snapdragon? I have Exynos.
Well, I tried that website as well just for the heck of it and it's buttery smooth on Chrome here as well.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon as well coming from a Nexus 6p and I thought maybe I was just being super anal or something but I'm definitely not happy with the performance so far. I get tons of stuttering while scrolling web pages as well as mini 5-10 second lock ups.

I'll give it a week or so and if it doesn't improve or no ota I'll factory reset and try again or swap out for another phone. I was pretty pumped for this phone and I love the way it looks and feels but after one day I'm already seriously considering going back to my Nexus.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Verizon as well coming from a Nexus 6p and I thought maybe I was just being super anal or something but I'm definitely not happy with the performance so far. I get tons of stuttering while scrolling web pages as well as mini 5-10 second lock ups.

I'll give it a week or so and if it doesn't improve or no ota I'll factory reset and try again or swap out for another phone. I was pretty pumped for this phone and I love the way it looks and feels but after one day I'm already seriously considering going back to my Nexus.
It must be the Verizon bloatware because I'm experiencing the exact opposite of what you're describing. Performance has been blisteringly fast. When people describe their Nexus 6P, that's exactly how I'd describe this new S7 of mine.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
It must be the Verizon bloatware because I'm experiencing the exact opposite of what you're describing. Performance has been blisteringly fast. When people describe their Nexus 6P, that's exactly how I'd describe this new S7 of mine.

I have Verizon and am having no such issues. Not a lot of bloatware either - thought I've disabled most of what there is.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Alto is running smooth on my UK version (exynos). Chrome is a little choppy now and again but better than it was on the Nexus 5x. Chrome Beta is near perfect.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In short, i'm a little concerned.

Take a deep breath, step off away from the edge... :)

You aren't the only one that has noticed dropped frames and a bit more UI jank on the S7 when compared to the 6P. I think XDA did a stress test to see how the S7 (SD820) handled heavy loads and if/how it throttled....Turns out it handled repeated benchmark runs like a beast and nary lowered a single score (GPU throttled a bit, but the new SoC went full tilt, full time). That being said, they did say that when the started looking at the overall UI performance, not under heavy load, but in those mundane, light duty day to day tasks that we are doing most of the time.... they noticed dropped frames, random stutters and skips and blink of an eye freezes in window transitions, etc. The S7, even with its more powerful internals, still isn't as smooth and fluid as the 6P.

But nothing is as smooth and fluid as the 6P.

It's just the nature of the beast. Samsung stuffs a whole lot of stuff on top of the base Android code, and all those new windows, UI modifications, there's a price to be paid. I'm sure I'll notice it when my wife's S7 comes in and I play around with it and give it a good once over.... but I won't care very much. It'll still be a fast phone and handle everything you throw at it without much fuss.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I've tried it with and without the Verizon/Samsung bloatware being disabled. No difference so far. Hoping for an ota or that I just got a bad phone.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Chrome and Firefox were extremely laggy and had a lot of stuttering for me. Everything else is smooth, so I'm assuming they just haven't been optimized yet. Hopefully tomorrow Samsung will allow us to download their browser, because Verizon is a dip**** for removing yet another feature.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I've tried it with and without the Verizon/Samsung bloatware being disabled. No difference so far. Hoping for an ota or that I just got a bad phone.
Chrome and Firefox were extremely laggy and had a lot of stuttering for me. Everything else is smooth, so I'm assuming they just haven't been optimized yet. Hopefully tomorrow Samsung will allow us to down their browser, because Verizon is a dip**** for removing yet another feature.
Sounds like Chrome isn't optimised for Snapdragon 820 yet in that case. On my Exynos unit, Chrome is buttery smooth (as is Samsung's own browser).

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

If you're coming from a Nexus, chances are you are never going to adapt to a Samsung. Stick with your Nexus, I'm serious. I have a 6P and a Note 5 and they are as different as night and day. But I'm use to Samsung's take on Android. It's never going to be like your Nexus. Never.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Scrolling depends on the app, but I definitely don't see any 10 second lag whatsoever

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like Chrome isn't optimised for Snapdragon 820 yet in that case. On my Exynos unit, Chrome is buttery smooth (as is Samsung's own browser).

Gonna repeat it just in case - I have a Snapdragon, I have Verizon, I have no problems using Chrome. So let's not overgeneralize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze