Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Not really happy - a few issues.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Few issues w/ 7 edge

Exactly!! Agreed. Just like I used the 6s plus despite what I disliked about the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yup, I think people should use whatever phone is the best compromise based on their needs. None of these flagships these days are bad phones.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My Bluetooth Experiences:

So I finally got the S7 Edge, and it's connected to a 2015 Chrysler with the Uconnect system and my Gear S2 Classic. I use Google Play Music for music, and it worked as expected. Shows the name of the artist, song, album, but no artwork. However I have had a Note 4, iPhone 6, Nexus 6, and V10 and none of them have showed artwork, must be a Chrysler thing. It actually works way better than the Note 4 and V10 did, on par with the Nexus 6, but with a better Bluetooth strength. Songs play and pause without error. My V10 would work, but it would constantly get messed up, or show the wrong information.

I did also try it with the Sirius XM app. Here I did see a slight bit of weirdness. At first, it played the audio through the car, but did not show "Howard Stern" on the Uconnect system, it just showed the name of my phone. I looked at my watch, and it showed Howard Stern and the artwork, but had a Play symbol like it was paused, although the audio was going. So I hit the Play button on my S2, and it turned to a pause symbol. Then I hit it again, and it played the music and corrected the information on the screen of the Uconnect system. No issues after that. Even when I turned the car off, got coffee, came back in, started it up and it went right back to playing Howard Stern and having all the expected information.

Also very impressed with Battery Life

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully it's fixed with an update.
This is not an error or a bug. This is how Marshmallow is supposed to function. Samsung chose to remove adopted storage from the UI, and this is a remnant of that.

I guess Samsung could remove this, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I got android auto working 100% turns out it was the usb extension cable I was using, turns out it wasn't the fault of google or Samsung, I simply eliminated the cable and all is well now! I also am getting much much better battery life, twitter sync was a battery usage culprit, I turned off the sync and battery life has greatly improved. I am extremely happy with this device now

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
@OP - I am not really with my purchase either. I wish it had a 6 inch screen. I came from a Note 4 which i loved. Anyways, certain things i noticed really upset me.

First, it didn't come with a default music, video player, and voice recorder app. I was beyond LIVID. I never use the Samsung store and so glad i went in to browse because i was able to download Samsung's proprietary apps for my music, videos, and voice recording. People who aren't tech savvy won't do this and will assume Samsung tricked consumers and hate the device because they cannot locate the icons when browsing through their apps. Certain consumers will take it at face value that it is either there or it isn't.

Second, you cannot block people anymore. I have one contact who is evil as HELL and the "AUTO REJECT LIST" option is not available in the contacts app anymore. Yes, i know i can remove this person, but i get a certain pleasure knowing i can block instead.

Third, there is no option anymore to change the text message style bubbles. All previous versions had this and now it is not there anymore. One could previously change to different colors and bubble sizes. Very frustrating.

Forth, LIVE WALLPAPERS are gone. I like having different wallpaper options. Ughhh!!!

Fifth, the panels/home screens now have no transition options. There use to be an option where one can pick "3D ROTATION" or "CARD STACK". Also, the home panels now cannot keep going when you swipe to the left. If you have 5 home panels, you can only scroll 5 times and it stops. The same with the app panel page. If you have 3 panels full of apps, it'll only let you scroll 3 times. I like having the option that after scrolling to the end it goes to the 1st page. Instead i need to scroll all the way backwards in order to get to the beginning.

Sixth, flashlight widget is gone. Why? I have no idea.

Seven, the "HIDE APP" feature is gone. I came from a Note 4 and it offered "HIDE APP". That is such a great feature. Sometimes people have nosey friends who wanna browse and riffle through your gallery to see if you have naughty photos and HIDE APP was great to hide the gallery icon so nosey friends can't intrude and now its gone. Why? I have no idea.

Eighth, my Gmail doesn't sync new email unless I hit refresh 3 or 4 times.

Ninth, the battery loses 10% just sitting there for 2 hours and I don't even touch it. My Note 4 didn't do that and the Note 4 has a smaller battery than the S7 Edge.

Tenth, I noticed that I have issued scrolling web pages because my index finger is holding the phone by the sides which bothers the curved edges where normal phones with no curved edges doesn't have this issue. The curved screen is making my browsing experience awful.

I know my review sounds negative, but i am just not pleased. I just find it odd when they remove features that people love and are functional features. On the plus side, it does seem like it isn't cluttered with bloatware and the battery size has increased. I guess you win some and then lose some. One can never have it all. I am returning to my Note 4 once I get my free VR gift and throwing this thing to the side.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
@OP - I am not really with my purchase either. I wish it had a 6 inch screen. I came from a Note 4 which i loved. Anyways, certain things i noticed really upset me.

First, it didn't come with a default music, video player, and voice recorder app. I was beyond LIVID. I never use the Samsung store and so glad i went in to browse because i was able to download Samsung's proprietary apps for my music, videos, and voice recording. People who aren't tech savvy won't do this and will assume Samsung tricked consumers and hate the device because they cannot locate the icons when browsing through their apps. Certain consumers will take it at face value that it is either there or it isn't.

Second, you cannot block people anymore. I have one contact who is evil as HELL and the "AUTO REJECT LIST" option is not available in the contacts app anymore. Yes, i know i can remove this person, but i get a certain pleasure knowing i can block instead.

Third, there is no option anymore to change the text message style bubbles. All previous versions had this and now it is not there anymore. One could previously change to different colors and bubble sizes. Very frustrating.

Forth, LIVE WALLPAPERS are gone. I like having different wallpaper options. Ughhh!!!

Fifth, the panels/home screens now have no transition options. There use to be an option where one can pick "3D ROTATION" or "CARD STACK". Also, the home panels now cannot keep going when you swipe to the left. If you have 5 home panels, you can only scroll 5 times and it stops. The same with the app panel page. If you have 3 panels full of apps, it'll only let you scroll 3 times. I like having the option that after scrolling to the end it goes to the 1st page. Instead i need to scroll all the way backwards in order to get to the beginning.

Seven, the "HIDE APP" feature is gone. I came from a Note 4 and it offered "HIDE APP". That is such a great feature. Sometimes people have nosey friends who wanna browse and riffle through your gallery to see if you have naughty photos and HIDE APP was great to hide the gallery icon so nosey friends can't intrude and now its gone. Why? I have no idea.

Ninth, the battery loses 10% just sitting there for 2 hours and I don't even touch it. My Note 4 didn't do that and the Note 4 has a smaller battery than the S7 Edge.

Tenth, I noticed that I have issued scrolling web pages because my index finger is holding the phone by the sides which bothers the curved edges where normal phones with no curved edges doesn't have this issue. The curved screen is making my browsing experience awful.

I know my review sounds negative, but i am just not pleased. I just find it odd when they remove features that people love and are functional features. On the plus side, it does seem like it isn't cluttered with bloatware and the battery size has increased. I guess you win some and then lose some. One can never have it all. I am returning to my Note 4 once I get my free VR gift and throwing this thing to the side.

In regards to the highlighted - because it is a toggle in the quick settings. That's not the same as a widget of course, but it is quick access.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Call blocking is in the settings menu of the phone app:

0be5bfcce9bbcf4510fa77f8ad29d68a.jpg

No idea why you think live wallpapers are gone because they're not? They're still very much a part of Android.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Not sure who your carrier is, but most of the things you mentioned don't match my phone.

1. Ok, but most people use Google Music or other streaming players, and most consumers are asking Samsung to ship less bloatware. There are many music and video players out there both free and paid that are great.

2. Mine definitely has this feature. See picture.

3. Not sure what that is, but I'm sure there are 3rd party texting apps that have this.

4. Live Wallpapers are definitely still around. See image.

5. Try Nova launcher, it has this and many more customizations even in the free version.

6. The flashlight widget was replaced by a shortcut (see screenshot). With Nova Pro ($4.99), you can set a swipe down gesture to show the shortcuts if you don't want to swipe down. There are also free flashlight apps aplenty out there. Again, this is Samsung trying to remove bloatware. Why build another app that Android has built in.

7. Again, try Nova launcher. You can use an app icon as a folder cover, hiding the apps in the folder. Also since Marshmallow, you've had the option of pinning a single app so nosey friends who pick up your phone won't see other apps, and with Knox, you can create a separate partition if you want for apps or photos you'd prefer others not see.

8. That's probably something wrong with your device or some software that's conflicting with it. Gmail works fine on mine.

9. Turn off the always on screen and Doze will change that. Mine loses far less than the Note 4 or S6 Edge+ did on standby time.

10. Can't help you there. Maybe a 2nd hand Note 5 would be a better option for you over?

Best of luck.

Attachments

• 162.jpg
    162.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 47

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I guess it only posts one screenshot per post. So live wallpapers...

Attachments

• 161.jpg
    161.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 47

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Since your software issues should all be taken care of, the issue with the edge screen can be solved with the way you hold your phone or (simpler) a case that gives the edges more meat to hold onto.

Of these two options, I prefer the case as it is easier to do than re-learn how you hold a phone.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Guess I'm easy to please.

With the S7 Edge I found a phone that finally fits my sweet spot. Is it perfect? No but it's a great compromise for me. I have the S6 Active. Love the phone except it's kind of ugly, screen is too small and has no fingerprint scanner. It's now my back up phone.. My Nexus 6P would be perfect except it's too big, isn't water resistant and no Samsung Pay. I will be selling it.

Edge fits what I want. Bigger screen in a smaller package, great battery, great looking. Samsung Pay, water resistant. Only think I miss is having the same fingerprint scanner as my Nexus. Bloatware? Really don't care.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Guess I'm easy to please.

With the S7 Edge I found a phone that finally fits my sweet spot. Is it perfect? No but it's a great compromise for me. I have the S6 Active. Love the phone except it's kind of ugly, screen is too small and has no fingerprint scanner. It's now my back up phone.. My Nexus 6P would be perfect except it's too big, isn't water resistant and no Samsung Pay. I will be selling it.

Edge fits what I want. Bigger screen in a smaller package, great battery, great looking. Samsung Pay, water resistant. Only think I miss is having the same fingerprint scanner as my Nexus. Bloatware? Really don't care.

I'm in the same boat. Have to admit that the 6P's fingerprint reader is insanely quick.