Adaptable storage now possible ... Worth it?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I won't be doing it. I struggle to fill up 32 GB as it is when it comes to internal storage.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Was thinking of doing it for gear VR stuff. Sure I read somewhere that the gear vr saves only to internal and therefore could fill up really quickly?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Speed is the issue. Even if you put one of the 95/90 cards in there, it's doubtful that it will match the speed of the internal memory. I'm going to stick with media on the card, apps internal, and big apps on the card when possible.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i'm going to try it. it doesn't work if you try to do it via a terminal emulator, but hopefully it'll work when i do it via the PC.

IO speeds are def slower (i have a 95/90 card) but for the trivial amount of data being accessed i don't see it being an issue on a daily basis.

plus you can still manage what is stored where iirc, so if there are apps you need to have stored on internal for the most extreme speed, then you can do that.

i had gotten mine down to about 7gb free and then uninstalled some stuff. but mostly the 64gb card i have had like 80mb used before then so it just seemed like a waste to have it sitting there while i fill up my internal storage.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Is there any good apps to check the performance of the sd card. Cannot remember what speed card I got, it is 64gb .. Be nice to be able to benchmark it

Looking forward to how you find it works adiliyo

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I won't be doing it. I struggle to fill up 32 GB as it is when it comes to internal storage.

+1. Being able to put music, pictures and documents on the SD, plus moving a number of apps there is no reason to screw around with an $800 phone. If you think you need that much crap on a phone, you need a laptop.

Jelly Belly

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had cards fail before.

If it's just media you can always put it back but if you do the Adoptable storage then does the whole thing mess up if you remove it or it went funny?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to enable this. I feel like for the most part the performance difference will be negligible. I had a 64gb S6 edge and there were times where I only had 20gb left, so I could use the extra space. I'm gonna see how big the average VR game is and go from there

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had cards fail before.

If it's just media you can always put it back but if you do the Adoptable storage then does the whole thing mess up if you remove it or it went funny?
Whatever apps installed on the sd card with adoptable storage won't work if the sd card is removed. Other than that, the system would still work

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Is there a difference between the adaptable storage and turning a Micro SD card into internal storage?

adoptable storage is encrypted and linked to the phone that adopted it. turning an sd card into internal storage (i'm guessing by using linked mount points) isn't protected in that way and isn't a standard way for android to treat sd cards.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Is there any good apps to check the performance of the sd card. Cannot remember what speed card I got, it is 64gb .. Be nice to be able to benchmark it

Looking forward to how you find it works adiliyo

i used A1 SD Bench just for curiosity's sake. i get about 55MB/s write on the card and 90MB/s write on internal storage.

the read speeds are very different (71MB/s card and 297MB/s internal) but for the amount of data being accessed at a time, the difference is negligible. i'd rather be able to actually utilize my sd card vs have it sit there with 50MB worth of images while my internal storage sits at less than 6GB free.

as for "messing up an $800 device" this method will do nothing of the sort. it's not a hack of the system, it is a built in method to utilize a method that is still in the OS, but has had the user facing (GUI based) option removed. but the Command line still exists.

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
i used A1 SD Bench just for curiosity's sake. i get about 55MB/s write on the card and 90MB/s write on internal storage.

the read speeds are very different (71MB/s card and 297MB/s internal) but for the amount of data being accessed at a time, the difference is negligible. i'd rather be able to actually utilize my sd card vs have it sit there with 50MB worth of images while my internal storage sits at less than 6GB free.

as for "messing up an $800 device" this method will do nothing of the sort. it's not a hack of the system, it is a built in method to utilize a method that is still in the OS, but has had the user facing (GUI based) option removed. but the Command line still exists.

Thanks for the app suggestion. Just ran a benchmark on mine .. SD Card Read of 33Mb/s and Write 14Mb/s. Internal Read of 358 Mb/s and Write of 133 Mb/s

Think I got quite a slow SD card, which is fine for saving photos and music .... would that slowness affect the adaptable storage though?

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
adoptable storage is encrypted and linked to the phone that adopted it. turning an sd card into internal storage (i'm guessing by using linked mount points) isn't protected in that way and isn't a standard way for android to treat sd cards.

Maybe I have never understood a lot of this technology but this card stuff is really puzzling me. I do have a 128GB card I was planning on using in the Edge just mainly for games and pics to keep from filling up the internal storage even though I have heard that is hard to do but anyway I did notice on my Note 4 when trying to access files, pics, etc. through my files or a card reader app it would show internal, then it would have a folder listed as a internal SD card and then it would show a folder just for files on SD card.....example: internal/internal SD (meaning space internal adopted from card?) and then /SD card. So if I explained this correctly or to where anyone can understand what I'm trying to explain is this how it will work on the edge? I guess it's not the same thing being they I never had a problem with a card on the note 4 but ^always puzzled at why it showed internal then internal sd and external SD. I don't have that phone anymore so I can only go by what I remember but hopefully someone will get what I'm trying to say. I hate to think this big card is going to go to waste if I can't use it. I bought the card to go into my tablet to download movies to watch when we were on the road traveling and had no wifi access but I wouldn't mind using it in the phone especially for games with the gear. It just seemed like the best thing to do and keep the phone clear of big files.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've turned adoptable storage on on my phone. I guess I'll see if there are any performance hiccups. I have a Samsung Evo plus 64gb SD card. Hopefully it'll be fast enough to keep up

Meak227

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Show me a laptop with 32gb of storage. They all have larger drives for a reason. 32gb is nothing...I fill that up in 10 mins. There's a reason you don't see 4gb, 8gb cards anymore... by todays standards that amount is useless... yeah well 32gb isn't that far off and soon 32gb will be a base low on the storage acale

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams