My S7 Edge just died completely

OmarS123

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I picked my At&T Galaxy s7 Edge up at Best Buy on Monday afternoon and i had no issues with the phone at all until tonight. Suddenly tonight i go into the Oculus app and download the Ocean Rift for the Gear VR. I put the phone down and when i went back a few minutes later to check the download status the phone is turned off and will not power back on. My battery was down to about 17% so it still had plenty of juice left. I plugged it in and no lights or charging indication show on the phone. Tried to start in safe mode and nothing happens. Totally unresponsive and it appears to be bricked. I will be going to Best Buy first thing in the AM.

I have the s7 edge which I've had going on 2 weeks.now. today I received my gear vr , everything was fine all day, but just now I took my phone out of the vr and it died. After about an hour it came1 back on

Last edited by a moderator:

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Happened to me a few days ago, too. Took it off the charger and it was working because it would send notifications to my watch, but completely non-responsive. Two days after my 14 day return period ended -- I was so upset. I did the same as others, held down volume down, home and power at the same time and got it back. It has been fine ever since. Going on five days and no problems.

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Happens say once a week. Did it today. There seems to be no one thing that sets it off. Bloody annoying!

Posted via the Android Central App

mnobleusc

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
So this is actually a thing. I was dumbfounded when my 3 week old S7 randomly appeared completely fried, not even responsive to charging (with having 75% battery moments before). What was I doing? Well I had just plugged the phone into the new VR Gear, and was installing about 10 things at once as promted. So yes, maybe overheating?

Danzebar

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I just had the same problem with my 4 day old S7 Edge too. I had just got on a train, clicked on a link to a Twitter post from Whatsapp and it froze for about 15 seconds then died and wouldn't come back to life! I plugged in the phone for a few minutes then pressed the down volume, power and home buttons simultaneously and this seems to have worked for me too. My phone lives again - thank goodness! Thanks guys! :)

chillin21

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My phone did the same thing while downloading a bunch of Oculus VR apps. The Oculus app said to let the phone cool down, I ejected it from the headset and it looked like it died, I had to do the Power + Volume button reset. Now it's up and running.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine suddenly go off before. It was off for a good 5 mins while I tried to figure out how to get it working. I tried a few different things like holding a volume button down with the home button too ect.. Worked in the end but I thought it was a brick at first.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

S7died2

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
My S7 had been on a black screen for a few hours before I decided to google search a remedy with "my s7 died" in the search bar. I found the link to this site and took your advice, I held both up & down volume, home, and power keys all at once then my phone powered up. Thank you, life saver!!!

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
This just happened on mine again today. It had been on the side for a while and women I went to use it it was off. Wouldn't turn back on. Eventually after holding down the power button and volume down key it powered up. Can't understand why it's doing it. It's be software related.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

scaldwellk

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, Saturday mind went bad. Started with screen flickering and then going black. While on the phone with Verizon it shut down and was dead. I have a new one on the way, but I hope this is not going to turn out to be an ongoing issue with this new phone. I love the phone coming from a S4, but I never had this problem before.

Posted via the Android Central App

bahhumbug

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I got my Samsung S7 Edge on 7 March 2016. On 5 May it died completely with 60% charge. It was still warm charging so it suggests that power was getting to it. No combination of ANY buttons pressed in ANY order for ANY length of time has brought it back to life. Very disappointing as it's my third Samsung phone and all previous phones have been great. I'm contacting the mobile phone company who supplied it to see if I can get a replacement.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thats correct, NEVER download a file on a low battery. Yesterday, when I downloaded the Verizon update, i lost 10% battery life for the complete download, start to finish. Only reason I didn't plug it in, is because I had 68% on the S7 edge before the update. I knew I had plenty of power.

Posted via Android Central App

Iain Whitehead

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Just took the phone out of my pocket and it was dead. Thanks for the fix. All is well now. It's a bug with all S7 edges it seems so no point in exchanging it.

MetalKore

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I believe this scenario happened to me last night. Took phone off of wireless charger before going to bed, and it was at 42%. Out of habit, I turn on Power Saving Mode at night and turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, sync & location. Woke up this morning to a completely drained phone. This has NEVER happened before. My battery life, up until this, has never been a problem.

I'll see how today goes...

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. Just took the phone out of my pocket and it was dead. Thanks for the fix. All is well now. It's a bug with all S7 edges it seems so no point in exchanging it.

I've never had this problem so you can't say it's a bug with all S7 edges. Easy thing to state.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.