Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - 24 hours and already scratched

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not the same glass on my 6s. I pocket my phone everyday without screen protector and always have crap in my pocket. No scratches for 6 months. Definitely a cheaper glass is used by the widespread reports. Glassgate

It's definitely the same glass otherwise Samsung and Corning are both lying for some strange, bizarre reason unknown to man.

Your conclusion on your example is flawed.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I can assure you the phone was not abused at all in the last 24 hours. It was handled meticulously. I have never in my life bought a screen protector. So this is definitely not normal.

It's actually perfectly normal and you're therefore just ascribing significance where there is none. Lots of people scratch the glass on their phones, not everyone scratches the glass on every phone they've owned. Therefore it doesn't follow that because my last phone didn't scratch this or the next one wont.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Tempered glass.

Plastic screen protectors are more, well, flexible. The one I tried to put on my wife's S7 was extremely thin and, as a result, near impossible to apply. But the plastic can form around the curve and mold itself a bit. Glass will be obviously be fixed into its final shape once the glass is made, so it would need to follow every little bend in the screen to fit properly. So for BOTH the S7 and the S7 Edge, a glass screen protector would have to have a fairly complex curve on the margins.

boulianc

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry for those who don't believe him, but I got my S7 (non-edge) on March 11, 2016. I was sitting on my bed, reading a book, my phone just on the side of the bed besides me. It moved and the phone felt. Less than to feet high. My floors are clear and they are made of soft wood. The glass cracked from the home button (center top of it) to the right middle of the phone where the frame is. Really, as much as we can see those drop test, I still cannot believe that mine just broke this easy. I have had all the S series, aside from the S6 (bc no external SD). This happened on the 16th of March. However, the crack was not "outside". So I cannot feel it when I swipe. But the more the technology is advancing "gorilla 4 yeah right", the more they should be durable and not the opposite way around. I ended up having to send the phone to a Samsung authorized service center (took 16 weeks to come back). $163 CDN (I live in Canada). Unfortunately, I live in Ottawa (the Canadian capital = 4th biggest city in all Canada) and Samsung only have a service center near Toronto (not even Montreal which is the second biggest city in Canada).

So yes, its not only with the Edge, Gorilla glass 4 are weak. I never had any cases on any of my S1 (2), S2 (1), S3(2), S4(1) and S5(3)... They never had any issues asides from the S4. The best of all was the S2 where the frame was way higher than the screen.

I don't understand why one would need to put a tempered glass... to protect the one of a $900 CDN phone... I can understand a case since I can be ruff sometimes (boating, etc.).

I am an android forever, put put this in context: Appel has apple stores everywhere in Canada, and they change your glass while you are taking a coffee and its $90 CDN to replace.

tengtengvn

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Y'all need to take better care of your phone. Bought a otterbox symmetry case and scratch resistant screen protector and my phone is perfect. Never dropped it or anything. Bought it on launch day.
The issue is the glass of the new SS are easier to scratch than the previous generation.
What's the point of having a beautiful phone when it's stuck inside an ugly otterbox?

Dnyaneshwar Vaity

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi there no wonder I am nothe shocked because I bought a Samsung galaxy s7 edge 5 days back that is on 2.6.16....and there are scratches on my screen a already and if that's not over,even the home button of my s7bedge is fading as if I bought this chap one year back....can't believe I paid Rs.56900/- inr for this ****

Kozeris

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
2 weeks (trial) period has just passed using S7 Edge Black Onyx and I'm horrified what I see on the back side, the glass has hairthin long scratches. It hasn't been dropped, carried with other items in a pocket, it's been carried in perfect conditions & used gently. Now the back side look awful. I'm absolutely lost, can't even return it and I'd, as these symptoms make me expect more of these scratches...

zdravke

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am afraid all this Gorilla Glass story is a complete scam. Each phone I had, I kept in empty, 100% cotton pockets of my trousers, and they all developed scratches after few weeks. I have a watch with sapphire glass which I am not taking off of my hand several years now, and there isn't a single scratch on it yet.

Have you ever heard of watch screen protectors? No, because they don't exist. Think about that for a moment.

Shahzeb Saud

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Oh, I don't dispute that - and if there were an acceptable tempered glass protector available of the S7E, I'd have it. But there isn't, so go with the next best thing. Better some protection than none at all. (And if the the weak-*** glass protectors that were made available for the S6E+ are any indication, there will not be an acceptable tempered glass protector for the S7E.)

There are Tempered Glass screen protectors available for the S7-Edge, ones that cover both the front and back. I'm talking about TG screen protectors that are specific to the Edge curve design of the S7-Edge. They cost roughly between $19 - $25 depending on the quality of the glass.
They fit perfectly and are bubblefree.
If they're available here at almost every other mobile phone shop/accessories-store in Pakistan, and there are hundreds and hundreds of stores in a relatively small city where I live, I'm sure you can find them anywhere in the world.

Ethan Walsh

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow. Really shocked here. Was waiting for a tempered glass protector before I put anything on. Thought it could AT LEAST get me by a few weeks without any scratches.

My phone is fine but my wife's S7 Edge has a deep scratch in the center of the phone. She has been very careful and did not drop it at all. Only place it went was her pocket. I though Gorilla Glass 4 should have been AT LEAST able to handle some pocket handling? :mad:

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Picked up this 7 edge almost 2 months ago now and this is the first phone I have not used screen protector.. I do not have a single blemish on my screen,,very happy about this.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Picked up this 7 edge almost 2 months ago now and this is the first phone I have not used screen protector.. I do not have a single blemish on my screen,,very happy about this.

I've had both of these since the first week of March and still not a scratch on them. They've slipped off my bed and couch more times then I can count and every time, the case has protected the phone. No screen protector.

Also, the paint is still perfect on the home buttons.

IMG_0577.jpg

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am afraid all this Gorilla Glass story is a complete scam. Each phone I had, I kept in empty, 100% cotton pockets of my trousers, and they all developed scratches after few weeks. I have a watch with sapphire glass which I am not taking off of my hand several years now, and there isn't a single scratch on it yet.

Have you ever heard of watch screen protectors? No, because they don't exist. Think about that for a moment.
Not all watches have scratch proof screens. And Gorilla Glass is scratch resist, not proof. It loses to a grain kmof sand. Because Gorilla Glass just raises the hardness of ordinary glass by 1 point on the Moh's scale, making it strong enough to stand against steel (Gorilla =6, Steel =5.5. But sand has quartz/silicon in it, which has a hardness of 8.

In comparison to you I've never used a screen protector in 7 years since my Galaxy S (original). None of my Gorilla Glass phones are scratched yet. It's just luck with the sand particles.

nicolas_as

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have mine for 3 months, never used a screen protector on it and so far no scratches.
but I do use a cover for the back, that glass scares me hehe