07-05-2017 11:22 AM
139 123 ...
tools
    Wow. Really shocked here. Was waiting for a tempered glass protector before I put anything on. Thought it could AT LEAST get me by a few weeks without any scratches.

My phone is fine but my wife's S7 Edge has a deep scratch in the center of the phone. She has been very careful and did not drop it at all. Only place it went was her pocket. I though Gorilla Glass 4 should have been AT LEAST able to handle some pocket handling?
    DavidDixon likes this.
    03-11-2016 07:51 AM
    If there was some sand in the pocket then I wouldn't be surprised that it scratched.
    03-11-2016 07:52 AM
    If there was some sand in the pocket then I wouldn't be surprised that it scratched.
    Seeing that some can take a razor blade to it on YouTube - it survived that with no issue - so I AM surprised!
    felloffthetruck and Alanhd like this.
    03-11-2016 07:53 AM
    I believe that Samsung used some cheap @ss glass on these latest phones. There are a bunch of reports of scratched displays from normal use.
    This sucks as it will be near impossible to find a tempered glass protector that will work on edge phones.

It's not Gorilla Glass 4, it's Baby Glass 1

Here is a couple videos that showcase some scratches on the new phones.

Kevin has a large scratch on the lower gold part to the right of the home button:

On this video Flo shows scratches (about 30:00 in) received just taking the phone in and out of her purse.

https://twit.tv/shows/all-about-android/episodes/256?
    03-11-2016 07:58 AM
    I wonder if there is some quality control on the type of glass they are using. This video suggests that it can handle a razor blade....don't see how sand can scratch this!

youtube.com/watch?v=D_bB5fnN7Jk
    03-11-2016 08:10 AM
    Seeing that some can take a razor blade to it on YouTube - it survived that with no issue - so I AM surprised!
    razor blade is generally just standard steel, which while sharp, is not very hard. Using Mohr's hardness scale, regular steel is about a 4-4.5 . gorilla glass is around a 6 ish, so of course a standard steel razor blade won't scratch it. Sand is a somewhat generic term...it could be a number of materials, but generally speaking, it is pretty common knowledge that sand can scratch a gorilla glass screen.

If you still don't believe me, just google "can sand scratch gorilla glass". you'll find plenty of places that discuss about this.
    the tall guy and Qasim 929843 like this.
    03-11-2016 09:11 AM
    It's all base on luck.
    03-11-2016 09:13 AM
    In the video you posted, you can see that a razor blade doesn't scratch the glass... Yes BUT a pick with a Mohr hardness of 6 will scratch the glass. Silica sand is pretty standard, and it has a hardness of 6-7.

Also if your wife has a diamond ring, then diamond has a hardness of 10.

Basically anything with a Mohr hardness of 6 or above will scratch the screen.
    felloffthetruck and LeoRex like this.
    03-11-2016 09:19 AM
    Sand is a somewhat generic term
    Especially if the grain of sand happens to be granite.
    03-11-2016 09:24 AM
    Thanks...and the diamond ring is something I didn't think of...makes sense
    03-11-2016 09:28 AM
    If there's one of these in the purse...

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - 24 hours and already scratched-doom.jpg

or if you see someone wearing these and a phone in their back pocket...

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - 24 hours and already scratched-doom2.jpg
    chennaite likes this.
    03-11-2016 09:41 AM
    Yeah, really seems like this phone requires a screen protector unfortunately if you have issues with scratches.
    03-11-2016 09:41 AM
    Same thing happened to me , I put the phone in my pants pocket and one time I forgot and put some keys there too. That was enough for a tiny scratch on the screen.

Can't risk it without a glass protector
    cyalap likes this.
    03-11-2016 09:46 AM
    Even a few grains of salt will scratch glass. I made the mistake one of setting my iPhone face down on a table at a restaurant. Thought it was completely clean. Had some fine scratches after that. The scratches were likely in the oleophobic coating.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    03-11-2016 09:57 AM
    They should stop using that coating. For years that stuff has not been scratch resistant.
    03-11-2016 11:43 AM
    Are there any glass screen protectors worth a darn out yet? And if so, where do i get one? I'm paranoid about scratching the screen and then i read this post.
    SR45 and felloffthetruck like this.
    03-11-2016 12:02 PM
    I believe Zagg has some but I've read mixed reviews about them not fitting correctly and they won't release a contour version until April...not sure at the moment its why I don't have one yet
    03-11-2016 12:09 PM
    Are there any glass screen protectors worth a darn out yet? And if so, where do i get one? I'm paranoid about scratching the screen and then i read this post.
    You don't need a glass protector to prevent scratches. I just applied an Armorsuit cover to my S7E. More than enough to protect from scratches.
    03-11-2016 01:13 PM
    You don't need a glass protector to prevent scratches. I just applied an Armorsuit cover to my S7E. More than enough to protect from scratches.
    Glass protectors feel so nice though.

I go to the beach every weekend and sand will completely destroy the screen.
    Carlo Villa and recDNA like this.
    03-11-2016 01:18 PM
    In the video you posted, you can see that a razor blade doesn't scratch the glass... Yes BUT a pick with a Mohr hardness of 6 will scratch the glass. Silica sand is pretty standard, and it has a hardness of 6-7.

Also if your wife has a diamond ring, then diamond has a hardness of 10.

Basically anything with a Mohr hardness of 6 or above will scratch the screen.
    It makes me happy to see a conversation about Mohs scale of hardness in these forums.

Just an FYI, I'm an archaeologist with a geology background.
    03-11-2016 01:28 PM
    It makes me happy to see a conversation about Mohs scale of hardness in these forums.

Are you one of these or one these

types of archaeologists?
    03-11-2016 01:34 PM

The whole gorilla glass thing is so misunderstood, as well as the concept of hardness. I tried to simply it, but it is probably still over some people's heads... They see videos with razors and keys... But those aren't what scratches a gorilla glass screen.
    03-11-2016 01:38 PM
    The whole gorilla glass thing is so misunderstood, as well as the concept of hardness. I tried to simply it, but it is probably still over some people's heads... They see videos with razors and keys... But those aren't what scratches a gorilla glass screen.
    Don't most chemistry courses cover the Mohs scale? I know mine did.

Chemistry class is the reason I use a screen protector. Sand + the diamond studs in my ear lobes = nice try GG. You put up a crap fight.
    03-11-2016 01:43 PM
    The there threads on here that have been going for a few weeks that swear no one needs SP any more don't help this. So many people think SP aren't needed because of Gorilla Glass 4. and if you do scratch your phone it is just you being lazy and not taking care of it.

Mime should have theirs out soon. I reached out to them and was told it should be ready this week. Update(* I just checked their site and they now have a listing for it, but don't have any in stock. Looks like it just went up so hopefully soon they will have more info.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Pixel C
    dmlv, cdjohnson25 and Dhawk1202 like this.
    03-11-2016 02:00 PM
    Glass protectors feel so nice though.

I go to the beach every weekend and sand will completely destroy the screen.
    Oh, I don't dispute that - and if there were an acceptable tempered glass protector available of the S7E, I'd have it. But there isn't, so go with the next best thing. Better some protection than none at all. (And if the the weak-*** glass protectors that were made available for the S6E+ are any indication, there will not be an acceptable tempered glass protector for the S7E.)
    03-11-2016 02:16 PM
139 123 ...