Former/Current Note 5 Users, How is the Change?

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not tempted by many phones to leave the note line, but the s6 edge+ came close, and the s7 edge may be the phone that makes me get a non-Note phone for the first time since the Note 3. If you did or do use the Note 5, how is the experience coming to the s7 edge? I played with it at BB, and I love the form factor, but that wasn't enough to send me to my local T-mobile to order one. I think it's a common consensus that the Note 5 is still an incredible phone, and I do love mine, but the s7 edge is gorgeous and a bit more daring than my usual phone tastes.

A few questions: Was leaving the s-pen a difficult process, if you did use it a lot? And do you feel that the processor on the Note 5 is better than the s7 edge or vice versa? I use my camera a lot, so how does the camera experience compare? And mentioning the form factor again, is one handed use a lot easier and do you feel more paranoid about drops with the s7 edge?

I'm appreciative for all answers. I feel input from people who aren't necessarily phone reviewers holds more weight than those who do it professionally and don't use it daily. I'm extremely tempted to order one this weekend, but I do have my reservations.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not tempted by many phones to leave the note line, but the s6 edge+ came close, and the s7 edge may be the phone that makes me get a non-Note phone for the first time since the Note 3. If you did or do use the Note 5, how is the experience coming to the s7 edge? I played with it at BB, and I love the form factor, but that wasn't enough to send me to my local T-mobile to order one. I think it's a common consensus that the Note 5 is still an incredible phone, and I do love mine, but the s7 edge is gorgeous and a bit more daring than my usual phone tastes.

A few questions: Was leaving the s-pen a difficult process, if you did use it a lot? And do you feel that the processor on the Note 5 is better than the s7 edge or vice versa? I use my camera a lot, so how does the camera experience compare? And mentioning the form factor again, is one handed use a lot easier and do you feel more paranoid about drops with the s7 edge?

I'm appreciative for all answers. I feel input from people who aren't necessarily phone reviewers holds more weight than those who do it professionally and don't use it daily. I'm extremely tempted to order one this weekend, but I do have my reservations.

Leaving the s-pen was not difficult for me, but I only used it occasionally. I think the S7e is a bit quicker than the Note 5. Can't say it's the SoC specifically, but it does feel snappier. The app switcher specifically is a noticeable boost in performance over the Note 5.

The actual camera experience is very similar since the camera app hasn't changed much. One thing that you will immediately notice on the S7e is the focus speed. It literally feels like it's ALWAYS in focus no matter how much you move it.

One handed use is easier than the Note 5 and I don't worry about dropping it any more than I did with the Note 5.

One other difference I haven't seen mentioned much is screen density. The Note 5 displays more in the screen than the S7e. The icons are also bigger on the S7e. It's not a deal breaker (the S7e is nowhere near as screwed up as the G4/G5 in this regard) and hasn't been too annoying during use.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would just add that the cpu on the note 5 would throttle a bit under consistent heavy load. The S7 Edge has very minimal throttling under similar conditions.

Matthew Mallard1

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
i had the note 5 on verizon for about 3 weeks, and it is a great phone, i never really used the stylus. the vr promotion was a fairly big factor in me swapping it out for a s7 edge. since it has basically the same screen size as the n5, just a little easier to handle , you really can't go wrong with either, the camera does focus very quickly. i do like the form factor a bit more than the n5, but i've had the s7e for under 24 hours so we will see. this is by far the prettiest phone i've ever owned.

matt

Last edited:

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I do love the Note 5's screen and the thread about the glass scratching on the s7 edge is a bit concerning. This is not an easy decision, lol.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Love the note.... have the S7 Edge. Will have to check back later since I have only had it for a day. LOL

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I do love the Note 5's screen and the thread about the glass scratching on the s7 edge is a bit concerning. This is not an easy decision, lol.

Any glass can scratch. If you've been fine with the Note 5 glass I'm sure the S7e glass will be just as fine.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Biggest change between my Note 5 and my S7 Edge is the battery life. The S7 Edge has the best battery life. My Note 5 lost 14% battery life in almost 3 hours doing nothing. It was just sitting here after a fresh install of the OS with none of my apps even installed yet. I'm lucky if U can even get 2 hrs screen time on one charge.

I only use the S Pen to do screen caps so not having it on the S7 Edge is not a problem.

I can make a call with one hand on my S7 Edge and on the Note 5, it can be done but it's much harder.

Yes any phones display can scratch. I bought a 6S in December and had a smudge on the screen in less then a week. Still not using a protector on it and no protector on any of my Android phones.

Last edited:

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I will try and update this thread as well. Through two days with my S7 edge I find myself missing the note. Performance does seem a little better on the S7, but I have a love/hate with the feel of the edge itself.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a note 5 and my s7 edge is waiting at home for me since I have been in Las Vegas for work the whole week. Will report back after this weekend to let you know how it is. I've had to charge my note 5 from my portable battery back at least half way during the day to make it through 10pm at night. And with me not using it much.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I preordered the s7e and have had it for about a week or so.
I've noticed slightly better battery, and fluidity. The smoothness could be marshmallow...

I am leaning on returning and keeping my Note 5 and just seeing what the Note 6 offerers.

I like the Note screen size better and personally am leaning toward preferring a normal flat screen. Just my opinion.

Posted via the Android Central App

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
THought I would feel like the screen was too small...SEEMS like it is, but really it isn't. it's ALMOST the same. ALMOST miss my s pen, but I'll figure it out. After messing with the edge for a while, I go back to the note and it feels so sqaure-y and choppy and the screen has never been bright enough. This will be perfect to hold me over to the Note 6 :-D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci