Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Initial Impressions/Feedback

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The phone arrived with a 65% charge and after over 7 1/2 hours of 'phone torture' involving initial setup, downloading and updating over 200 apps and widgets, etc it finally got down to 16%. Throughout this incredibly heavy use it only got mildly warm and, as things began winding down, has been running cool as a cucumber (who knew cucumbers were cool) ever since. Charged it back up to 100% and 5+ hours later with minimal use and the Always On Screen on it's down to 93%!!! I have no idea what people who say that the battery life on this phone is anything but amazing are talking about.

The OS is smooth as butter and scrolling is as fluid ans any iOS device ever made. I set up the Edge panels but I see them as just a 'gee whiz' feature that I'l virtually never use. Call quality is superb but the external speaker is really awful. Maybe even worse than the speaker on the S6 and that was mediocre at best. C'mon Samsung, you can do better than this. But this is really a very minor quibble.

Haven't had much of a chance to play with the camera but it seems lightening fast in operation and focus speed is incredible. The couple of shots I did take are well exposed and sharp as a tack. Can't wait to try out the low light capabilities of the f 1.7 lens!

As for cases, I ordered the Spigen Thin Fit, the Ringke Slim Fit and the OBLIQ Slim Meta. I chose the OBLIQ because the brushed silver finish is just a perfect match for the silver phone as well as the fact that it seems to provide a bit more protection than the other two. They're all great cases so whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed. For those of you interested, here's a picture of the winner:

71duDhvPbSL._SX425_.jpg

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Initial Impressions/Feedback

Thanks for the initial review! Agreed on battery life but I've noticed it does much better on LTE than on WiFi which seems counter-intuitive!

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Agree on battery. I've gone back and forth with ios with 6s plus because of the great battery. The s7 edge has been stellar. I'm at 37% with 4.5 hours of screen time with heavy twitter, email and browsing today. Haven't noticed anything really jump out at me as a problem either.

Posted via the Android Central App

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I grabbed an S7 Edge today and have spent several hours restoring apps, app data and settings. I've finally got it how I want it and can sit down and see how I feel about it. Pretty bummed that the took away the IR blaster but I'm loving it otherwise. I'm curious to see how the battery life is. Tomorrow will be the real test.

Captpt

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Curious, what are you guys running display brightness at??
I'm guessing auto with the great battery stats your reporting but in the three days I've had my Edge I can't resist setting it at 50%, gorgeous display.. :)

Posted via the Android Central App