Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Wi-Fi Issue

Vykun

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Welp, second time posting here tonight, lol. This one is a little bit odd. A few hours ago, I notice my internet at home is being super slow, dropping connection, what not. After messing around a bit, I disable wifi, and the issue instantly goes away. Another hour into messing with things, and I realize it is my phone that is somehow causing the problem. I turn on wifi on the phone, and the internet has all sorts of problems, but the moment I disable wifi, everything is fine.

I've checked to make sure the phone isn't downloading anything, it isn't. And even if that were the case, I was downloading tons of things earlier with no issue at all. But, nothing is downloading, the phone, to the best of my knowledge, is just sitting there, being totally idle. With wifi off, there is zero data usage happening, so I don't think it is doing anything at all.

I read around, some people said it could be the wifi hotspot stuff, but I checked, and that is also off. I was looking at the wifi direct stuff that is listed in the wifi options, thought maybe that had something to do with it, but I can't even find a way to turn that off at all. When I open the wifi direct stuff, all it says is that my device is visible to other devices.

So, once again, here I am, hoping that someone here might be able to help me out with this. If anyone has experienced a similar issue, or has any idea what might be causing the problem, I'd definitely love to hear any and all information. The phone was totally fine up until a few hours ago, just turned on wifi again to test, and the internet instantly starts freaking out again.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any issues with mine. So let's see if we can figure this one out.

I'm guessing yes from your description, but have to ask. When you say Internet slows down, is it on every device in your network or just your phone? If it's the first, there might be a QoS setting in your router that could be treating the S7 as a special, priority device and leaving everything else with no bandwidth left. If it's the latter and only the phone is slow, it might be that you need to upgrade your router's firmware. Also try turning off Bluetooth. Does that improve your connection? I once upon a time had issues with SideSync (a Samsung app) slowing my tablet's speed to a crawl (only the device, though, not everything else) if BT was on; if I turned BT off or force-stopped SideSync, everything would be OK.

Vykun

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it was just a general slowdown of everything. My computers internet signal became really spotty, dropping connection on and off, and my PC is hard wired, so I know from that at least that it isn't a wifi specific issue. And, as I said, I had the phone at home all day, with no issue at all, it just suddenly popped up later in the evening.

Good news though, after restarting the phone multiple times, it stopped doing whatever it was that was happening, have not noticed an issue since. However, I would still like to get to the bottom of whatever it was that caused it, so that I could possibly prevent it from happening again in the future, especially if it were to happen while using wifi somewhere else.

But, I went through just about every internet/download related thing I could find in the phone over a few hours, and nothing seemed to fix the problem apart from just turning wifi off entirely, or at least changing my wireless password, so the phone couldn't connect. With wifi off, there was zero data consumption, so that eliminates any possible downloading problem that I could think of. Unless a specific app is set to only download while wifi is enabled, but even if that were the case, I don't think it would cause my internet to cut in and out like that. I have a 30mb line, which while it isn't amazing, I can't see any sort of phone download being hefty enough to disrupt that.

The only thing I could think of was a conflicting IP or something that was assigned to the phone, or the fact that I gave the phone the same name as I used for my wireless signal. But if it was the name, I can't see why it would only cause a problem at a certain time, same for the IP.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it could still be a mix of WiFi-only downloads (some system and app updates are set that way), especially with a new phone, and a router conflict. If there's a firmware update for the latter, I'd try updating that. Again, maybe a QoS setting is giving priority to the phone (I know I did that by accident on mine, setting up anything that had YouTube running to keep all bandwidth and everything else was left with less than 1Mbps no matter what they were running.)

If it happens again, try logging into Safe Mode and connecting to WiFi to see if it's an app that's causing the slowdown.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
There has been multiple reports of all sort of wifi issues happening for sometime now affecting different phones not just the S7/edge, and for the most part it has always been fixed by forcing the wifi connection to use just IPv4 instead of IPv6, check your router to see how you can force that.

Rheller82

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Also try turning off Bluetooth. Does that improve your connection? I once upon a time had issues with SideSync (a Samsung app) slowing my tablet's speed to a crawl (only the device, though, not everything else) if BT was on; if I turned BT off or force-stopped SideSync, everything would be OK.
On a side note this totally solved a issue I was having. Whew thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

phillysunny

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I bought 2 samsung s7 edge from costco yesterday and both are not connecting to wifi, specifically no you tube videos no apps updating on wifi. Has anyone figured out what's the issue? tmobile is saying they dont have anything to do with it.My S6 edge my S4's all are connecting well and doing all those tasks so it's not about wifi strength.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Try Force Kill on the Google store app, along with clear cache and memory. Make sure your router has the most current FW and also reboot it.

steve_bham

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem WiFi showing as connected but no access. Turn off works fine on 4g. Turn WiFi back on and all works OK again.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, those issues sound like router firmware issues. Sometimes the IP lease isn't properly renewed so your phone might think that it's connected, but the router isn't really giving it proper access. Also some routers have issues with newer WiFi chips and IPV6 without updates.

Like I said, it's a little bit of fault on the phone and on the router, it's a combination of things, really.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest get into recovery, wipe cache, factory reset. And try setting up as new. I never use transfer apps when it comes to new phones. Always fresh.

halo0

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OK W.T.F. My S7's wifi has not been working at all, as in when connected to my router with full signal strength there is no internet connection. Speedtest app says "network communication issues". This was happening with multiple different wifi networks today. So I read the post about Bluetooth interfering and think 'haha no way'. Turn off BT.... boom wifi is working like a champ, 20MB+ on speedtest.

Again, WTF. WTF, Samsung?

zainsikander32

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've been having some WiFi issues but they weren't serious enough for me to factory reset. They are concerning though. My WiFi randomly disconnects for like 15 seconds to only reconnect instantly again. Never happened with my S6 edge. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Ekami66

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed mine also has the issue. I have an AP with 2 SSID on it, one on 2.4ghz and the other one on 5ghz.
One the 2.4ghz one I have no issue, but on the 5ghz as soon as the phone goes into deep sleep mode (doze)
and I turn it on I get the same issue like all of you guys. My wifi is connected but I have 0 data passing through it,
I can't launch any application which require network access. Can you guys confirm that you are in the same case as me?
Having the wifi working properly on 2.4ghz and not on 5ghz. Thank you.

SR45

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
OK W.T.F. My S7's wifi has not been working at all, as in when connected to my router with full signal strength there is no internet connection. Speedtest app says "network communication issues". This was happening with multiple different wifi networks today. So I read the post about Bluetooth interfering and think 'haha no way'. Turn off BT.... boom wifi is working like a champ, 20MB+ on speedtest.

Again, WTF. WTF, Samsung?

Another thread regarding the BlueTooth and WiFi issue as well. Something is not right with the samsung s7. Hope they will update this soon

Michelle Becker

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
The first day I got my galaxy s7 edge, it worked great. Then the following day it started having wifi issues. I read that I should reset the phone and clean the cache. It didn't help. I would try to search for something online and it would be very slow. Then it would lose connection and say that I was offline. I tried with my mobile data on and off. I checked my other devices at home to make sure it wasn't my wifi. Everything else was running smoothly. I ended up taking my phone into a Verizon store. The lady was no help at first. Then she said we could swap out the sim card and see if it helps. Well, two days later I'm having the same problem. I guess I will be taking it back to the store.

RAFF2465

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I was having all the same WiFi issues, connecting but being slow. My test was Clash of Clans, it wouldn't open on WiFi. I went through all the hassle with internet provider, but all the other devices in house were working. I tried all the fixes online but wouldn't work. I finally saw the Bluetooth post, tried it and so far is working!!

What the heck Samsung? Will there be an update?

racingvike

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I posted a reply in another thread that I think might help. I was having issues with wi-fi calling and with my email apps updating or staying connected (native app and Good). This process seems to have fixed both issues.

Settings->applications->application manager->MORE in upper right->show system apps. Look for Bluetooth Share and force stop it, then go to storage and clear cache. Back out and then turn Bluetooth and wifi back on and test. Like I said I could not get wi-fi calling to work at all and email was only working after a reboot and would then go dead again. After the above process wi-fi calling immediately was able to be turned on and my email apps have been perfectly fine for almost 3 hours now.

Another thread regarding the BlueTooth and WiFi issue as well. Something is not right with the samsung s7. Hope they will update this soon

halo0

May 25, 2011
Visit site
FYI - my foray into Samsung support.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Govind G'. The reference number for this chat is 4306114205. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Govind G: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Phil: I'm having a problem with my Galaxy S7 and wifi connections.
Govind G: I'd appreciate it if you could give me a detailed description of the problem to assist you better.
Phil: After reading online it appears many users are having this issue. When Bluetooth is turned on, many times the phone will not be able to get any data downloaded via wifi.
Phil: as soon as bluetooth is turned off, the wifi data starts working.
Phil: I've verified this on multiple wifi access points.
Phil: as have other users.
Govind G: We at technical Live Chat do not have any such reported issues with the issues.
Govind G: I will be glad to assist you with the issues you are facing with the phone.
Govind G: I will need your phone's complete model number to assist you better. You can also find the model number by tapping on Apps>>Settings>>About Device>>Model number.
Phil: it's the G930A
Phil: at&t galaxy s7
Govind G: Thank you for providing the model number.
Govind G: Since when are you facing this issue?
Phil: since forever.
Phil: The phone just came out on Friday...
Govind G: Okay. Please reboot the phone and check if the issue repeats.
Phil: I've already done that.
Phil: I've also already factory reset the phone and cleared the cache. None of those actions has fixed the issue.
Govind G: Please let me know if you have done the reset on the phone and check if the issue persists.
Govind G: Okay, I appreciate all your efforts in troubleshooting the issue.
Govind G: You can contact the place of purchase of the phone and check with the replacement options with them.
Phil: So getting a new phone is the only fix for this issue?
Govind G: You have tried all the possible troubleshooting steps to sort out the issue but it is still persisting. You need to send the phone to the Samsung service center top get it repaired. Since it is a new phone, you can contact the store and check with the replacement option which is the best option for you.
Govind G: However, you can get the phone repaired under warranty with Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance