How much does it cost to replace a broken screen?

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, maybe this is a crazy question but hear me out. I have owned 3 smartphones prior to the S7 Edge and they have all lasted the full 2 years of the contract. I had screen protectors on all of them and minimal sized cases on all but the first one. I have never bought the protection plan and rarely buy the extended warranty on any major purchase so with all the money I have saved on those over the years, I am way ahead. I figured if the phone died in mid contract, I would buy a used one. I am using the device payment plan on this one so if it dies after a year or so, I could pay it off and get a new one. The last phone I had was the first tempered glass protector and I will never go back to another type once I saw how clear that looks. So I guess here is what I am thinking. I have a Spigen Slim Armor case on it now. Looks like it has pretty good protection around the edges and it feels like I can get a good grip on it. I might end up getting that Neo Hybrid also. Since there aren't any glass screen protectors yet that people have reviewed, and since Zagg doesn't have one out yet, am I crazy to think of not using one? The biggest reason I wanted to keep it clean was for resale value but I notice now Verizon has a buyback program giving $100 for any phone, $200 for an S5, and $300 for an S6. I figure to keep this for 2 years like I have for the others, and at the time it is going to be going for less than $200 on Ebay. Does Verizon offer programs like this frequently? If so, maybe I don't even have to bother with Ebay in 2 years if I get $200 for it from Verizon and the screen probably doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. Now if it shatters or something that is a different story. That is where my title comes into play as to how much it would cost to replace a screen. I am probably not thinking straight because it is late, but just thought I'd throw this out there. Maybe using a wallet case would be even better since the screen is always covered in your pocket? I generally try to put it in a pocket with nothing else but since I have always had screen protectors on previous phones I may not care sometimes. I know seeing a scratch on it would bug me, but my glass protector on the old phone has a few minor scratches on it. They are there, I see them all the time. I could peel it off and get another one but I don't. So maybe it won't bug me. Knowing that I can peel it off when I go to sell it and have a perfect screen is nice, but like I said, maybe it doesn't need to be perfect. I just have a feeling a tempered glass protector is not going to be easy to work this this curved screen.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any local repair shops where you live? You might ask them how much it would cost to replace a broken screen.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I believe the s6 edge screen was around 200 so it's most likely similar if not a bit more.

I run the zagg hd right now on my phone. I go to the beach often and sand doesn't mix well with glass. I also have diamond studs earrings and that would destroy the screen.

Sent from my Chrome™ Samsung S7 Edge SM-935V

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
That's why you get insurance. Honestly I had the s6 edge last year and nothing happened with mine.. And it dropped a lot.

Posted via the Android Central App

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, maybe this is a crazy question but hear me out. I have owned 3 smartphones prior to the S7 Edge and they have all lasted the full 2 years of the contract. I had screen protectors on all of them and minimal sized cases on all but the first one. I have never bought the protection plan and rarely buy the extended warranty on any major purchase so with all the money I have saved on those over the years, I am way ahead. I figured if the phone died in mid contract, I would buy a used one. I am using the device payment plan on this one so if it dies after a year or so, I could pay it off and get a new one. The last phone I had was the first tempered glass protector and I will never go back to another type once I saw how clear that looks. So I guess here is what I am thinking. I have a Spigen Slim Armor case on it now. Looks like it has pretty good protection around the edges and it feels like I can get a good grip on it. I might end up getting that Neo Hybrid also. Since there aren't any glass screen protectors yet that people have reviewed, and since Zagg doesn't have one out yet, am I crazy to think of not using one? The biggest reason I wanted to keep it clean was for resale value but I notice now Verizon has a buyback program giving $100 for any phone, $200 for an S5, and $300 for an S6. I figure to keep this for 2 years like I have for the others, and at the time it is going to be going for less than $200 on Ebay. Does Verizon offer programs like this frequently? If so, maybe I don't even have to bother with Ebay in 2 years if I get $200 for it from Verizon and the screen probably doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. Now if it shatters or something that is a different story. That is where my title comes into play as to how much it would cost to replace a screen. I am probably not thinking straight because it is late, but just thought I'd throw this out there. Maybe using a wallet case would be even better since the screen is always covered in your pocket? I generally try to put it in a pocket with nothing else but since I have always had screen protectors on previous phones I may not care sometimes. I know seeing a scratch on it would bug me, but my glass protector on the old phone has a few minor scratches on it. They are there, I see them all the time. I could peel it off and get another one but I don't. So maybe it won't bug me. Knowing that I can peel it off when I go to sell it and have a perfect screen is nice, but like I said, maybe it doesn't need to be perfect. I just have a feeling a tempered glass protector is not going to be easy to work this this curved screen.

The s6 edge screen was 200 through Samsung and most other places wouldn't even do it. You have to replace the display itself as well. It would be worth it to get that Samsung protection plus. It's like 129 and they overnight u a loaner I think too. I'm pretty sure they just replace your device with a refurbished unit if the curved screen is damaged.

The problem is if you are sans contract. If you buy outright at best buy they have those $7-10 a month geek squad ins you can pay for. It's worth it for a $800 phone. The case you use on the edge model matters if you drop it. I had one of those platinum bamboo cases on my s6 edge and it shatters pretty easily. I would recommend a uag case or that speck grip case might be good for drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

BearlyFloats

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
That's why you get insurance. Honestly I had the s6 edge last year and nothing happened with mine.. And it dropped a lot.

This. So hard.

If you didn't have the $800 in cash to just buy the phone outright, get the insurance. Because you don't have the $800 in cash to buy the phone outright when it breaks.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
This. So hard.

If you didn't have the $800 in cash to just buy the phone outright, get the insurance. Because you don't have the $800 in cash to buy the phone outright when it breaks.

Really no point to put out the $800 all at once when you can pay $33 a month interest free. I think the Verizon coverage is like $10 a month or so with $200 deductible. Maybe that is worth it for some people that are clumsier with phones but I just can't justify that. Maybe I am due to break a phone since I never have in the 20 years I have been using them. The Samsung Protection plan actually doesn't sound like a bad deal though compared to Verizon's. I still think I will probably get some kind of screen protector though.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I believe the s6 edge screen was around 200 so it's most likely similar if not a bit more.

I run the zagg hd right now on my phone. I go to the beach often and sand doesn't mix well with glass. I also have diamond studs earrings and that would destroy the screen.

Does that lay down around the edges nicely without it trying to peel off? Does it go all the way to the edge where a case might try to push it off if it rubs against it?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, according to a review Droid Life did of an iFixit (sp) tear down of the S7, the screen is not replaceable. The S7 only scored, IIRC, 3 out of 10 for repair ability.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Does that lay down around the edges nicely without it trying to peel off? Does it go all the way to the edge where a case might try to push it off if it rubs against it?

I installed the screen protector with the case on so it sits completely flush with it. I applied it using the tint technique so I can get the perfect fit. Little bit of soap in some water with a spray bottle. Spritz in the middle of the screen, install, position, apply and custom form edges. Don't have any lift issues.

FWIW, according to a review Droid Life did of an iFixit (sp) tear down of the S7, the screen is not replaceable. The S7 only scored, IIRC, 3 out of 10 for repair ability.

The front glass is not replaceable on its own. You can't separate the front glass from the display without destroying the display itself. You have to buy the whole glass/display/digitizer as a set which is why it's so much. Glass by itself is cheap which is why ifixit mentions it.

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Are you saying if I break the screen on my Galaxy S7 Edge the screen is not replaceable and I would just have to buy a new phone

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Are you saying if I break the screen on my Galaxy S7 Edge the screen is not replaceable and I would just have to buy a new phone

No. You can get the glass replaced, but you'd also have to pay for the glass, display, and digitizer. Cost of total package for the S6 Edge was ~$200.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Diamond stud earrings? You're automatically more woman than me.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

I like that case. I was actually going to get that or the regular Neo Hybrid but I got the Slim Armor because I have liked it in the past and it was the only one in stock at the time, but the buttons are too hard to push or even too hard to find when it is dark. How are the buttons on the one you have? Does it seem like it offers a good amount of protection and grip? I might send mine back and get one of those instead.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Diamond stud earrings? You're automatically more woman than me.

Yes it's true, I like to sparkle.

Living in LA, making a living off fashion, I can't help but be metro. Didn't you notice how I kept talking about how pretty things look or how something clashes with another in the pre-order thread? Yes I use product in my hair. Yes I go to a salon to get my haircut and not a barber shop. Yes I have fashion items like designer brand key chains and accessorize.

I like that case. I was actually going to get that or the regular Neo Hybrid but I got the Slim Armor because I have liked it in the past and it was the only one in stock at the time, but the buttons are too hard to push or even too hard to find when it is dark. How are the buttons on the one you have? Does it seem like it offers a good amount of protection and grip? I might send mine back and get one of those instead.

The sides aren't grippy. It's a solid plastic that some folks say is slippery for their use. The buttons are super easy to find using tactile feel alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes it's true, I like to sparkle.

Living in LA, making a living off fashion, I can't help but be metro. Didn't you notice how I kept talking about how pretty things look or how something clashes with another in the pre-order thread? Yes I use product in my hair. Yes I go to a salon to get my haircut and not a barber shop. Yes I have fashion items like designer brand key chains and accessorize.

LOL you're talking to a Montana girl, bebe. Boots, jeans, and Carhartt jackets is all I know. I have Julia Robert's hair ala Pretty Woman. It can't be tamed, and I don't bother haha.

ItsAdamUK

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
My S7 Edge this morning, got knocked off of the samsung VR box I was charging it on, dropped around 2-3inch on to my skirting board and then dropped to the floor, another 2-3inch.

The WORST I was expecting was a scratch, I noticed a line going across the screen from just below the volume keys to the ear speaker. Initially I thought it was a hair, turned out to be a crack.

Yes, a sub 4 inch drop caused a crack I would say 20% from the top and right of the screen.... 4 inches. I spoke to the company and they said a drop's a drop tough crap.

I reserve the right, to state that the Gorilla Glass is faulty. I went in to the local shop I'd bought the phone from and told them it cracked taking it out of the GearVR headset. I hold little to no hope they'll repair it FOC.

I had a Note 2 from launch day until the S7 Edge came, it went back to Music Magpie with a screen that looked like new, 3 1/2 years old and no screen protector, throw around and abused for the last few months... I was supposed to get a Note 5 but they didn't release it in the UK.

All I can say at the moment, my love and status as a Samsung Fanboy has now been revoked, unless they do the right thing and send me a new handset, which I doubt.

Any phone that is that fragile, I don't have time for. Never cracked, chipped or damaged a screen in my life so this was an utter shocker for a phone I've had for just over a week. It's going to take longer to send it off for "Repair / Checking" than what I had it for. Utterly disgusted, but what can you do? They'll claim drop is a drop, regardless of height, such an easy response that gets them off on a phone that costs over £750.

Awful.

PS. Some places they say the screens impossible to replace, others say you can but they usually break something else. So yeah, GG!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy